How do you define "binge?"

Options
Talking with a counselor today, she and I disagreed as to what a binge is, so I wondered how you define a binge. I see a lot of people on here saying they had a binge or are a binge-eater, so tell me what that means to you. I don't want to influence anyone's definition so I'm not going to post now what she and I think. Maybe I will later.

Replies

• Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    A few years ago on a previous diet, we decided we needed a cheat night out so we went to Famous Dave's and had wings for an appetizer with ranch dip then had a THREE meat platter with ribs, chicken fingers (with a bucket of ranch) and brisket with 2 sides garlic mash potatoes and roasted red potatoes and cornbread, then had a Kahlua ice cream brownie for desert. Oh, and 2 margaritas. That is what I call a binge.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    To be it may be healthy food and it may be a realitely small amount. The important thing is that's it's eaten quickly, often not really enjoyed, and definitely out of control.

Fo instance. I may have had egg on toast and a yogurt for lunch but then stuffed down another yogurt and two satsumas. That's a binge for me. However going for a meal out and having a big three course meal but eating it slowly and enjoying it has loads more calories, but isn't a binge.
  • dessertlover27
    dessertlover27 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    It's more a mental thing for me where my voice of sanity will say "Alright, you've had enough, now put it away. If you want, you can have it again tomorrow" but I am unable to stop. So, most of it is an emotional and mental element. I may be really full but I still continue eating and there's always a feeling of loss of control. It's not about the type of food or even, to an extent, the amount of food. But just that state of mind.
  • nope31
    nope31 Posts: 174
    Options
    I think Im doing that right now.

3 Turkey Meat balls w/Red Sauce
    Rice Cake & Pb
    Cinnamann Toast Crunch w/1% Milk
    String Cheese and Cheeze Itz
    I think I'll move onto the Doritos Next
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Losing control of responsible eating.

e.g.

killing a pint of icecream when u meant to have a scoop

I dont consider eating fast to be binging at all. Afterall, what is a protein shake? I slam those. I stuff my face for calories all the time. Im after a number, if I enjoy getting there than so be it. If I'm not hungry, I'm still hitting that number, period!
  • nope31
    nope31 Posts: 174
    Options

I dont consider eating fast to be binging at all. Afterall, what is a protein shake? I slam those. I stuff my face for calories all the time. Im after a number, if I enjoy getting there than so be it. If I'm not hungry, I'm still hitting that number, period!

Can I have your "number" Im all out of Calories and Im still hungry
  • BlitzClipz
    BlitzClipz Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I define a binge as eating until I'm full... and then continuing to eat. Every time I get even the tiniest bit of room in my stomach, I stuff it full again. Fortunately I very rarely do this anymore lol.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Eating when/amounts/things I know I shouldn't be eating.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options

This
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    The DSM4 defines binge eating as so;

1. Recurrent episodes of binge eating characterized by BOTH of the following:
    a. Eating in a discrete amount of time (within a 2 hour period), an amount that is definitely larger than most people would eat during a similar time period.
    b. Sense of lack of control over eating during an episode.

2. Binge eating episodes are associated with three (or more) of the following:
    a. Eating much more rapidly than normal.
    b. Eating until uncomfortably full.
    c. Eating large amounts of food when not hungry.
    d. Eating alone because of being embarrassed by how much one is eating.
    e. Feeling disgust with oneself, depressed, or guilty after overeating.

3. Marked distress regarding binge eating is present.

4. The binge eating occurs, on average, at least 2 days a week for 6 months.

5. The binge eating is not associated with the regular use of inappropriate compensatory behaviors (e.g. purging, fasting, compulsive exercising).

Depending on the counsellor you are seeing, this is what they should be following...(yes i realize there is difference of opinion, this just the professional standard used in diagnosing disorders)
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

Hopefully this rule applies to binge drinking as well as I only do that 1 day a week forever....

Life is good.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    For me a binge would be anything high enough over maintenance that it will require a substantial cut in calories over the next day or three in order to maintain my weight.

That would probably be 600 or more calories over maintenance for me, so around 2500.

It's usually an unplanned rapid sequence of meals near the end of the day when it's too late to work into calories. Although it can be any kind of food it's usually high in sugar, refined carbohydrates and fat.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    The DSM4 defines binge eating as so;

1. Recurrent episodes of binge eating characterized by BOTH of the following:
    a. Eating in a discrete amount of time (within a 2 hour period), an amount that is definitely larger than most people would eat during a similar time period.
    b. Sense of lack of control over eating during an episode.

2. Binge eating episodes are associated with three (or more) of the following:
    a. Eating much more rapidly than normal.
    b. Eating until uncomfortably full.
    c. Eating large amounts of food when not hungry.
    d. Eating alone because of being embarrassed by how much one is eating.
    e. Feeling disgust with oneself, depressed, or guilty after overeating.

3. Marked distress regarding binge eating is present.

5. The binge eating is not associated with the regular use of inappropriate compensatory behaviors (e.g. purging, fasting, compulsive exercising).

Depending on the counsellor you are seeing, this is what they should be following...(yes i realize there is difference of opinion, this just the professional standard used in diagnosing disorders)

This is going to be the most accurate. DSM is a good source for this sorta thing.
  • getfitcharles
    Options
    Eating until it feels uncomfortable. Significantly more than you'd normally eat in a meal. Feelings of being out-of-control of yourself.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

unless you have intolerance to something theres nothing you 'shouldnt' eat...
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    a binge to me is anything where you've eaten SO much that you're disgusted and so full that you cant move. I have a friend who is a binge eater. She will sit there telling you that she is so stuffed that she's in pain and yet she KEEPS EATING. That's bingeing!
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I define a binge as eating until I'm full... and then continuing to eat. Every time I get even the tiniest bit of room in my stomach, I stuff
    it full again. Fortunately I very rarely do this anymore lol.

Well if it's eating until you're full, and then eating again... I'm guilty. These teacher's dinners will make you eat eat eat.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    To me, a binge is eating over my calorie limit when I know I shouldn't be eating what I am eating. I don't typically have problems binging except every other month during TOM. At that time, I crave food...all kinds of food, and a lot of it...and can double my calorie goal for a day in one durn meal. That's a binge to me.
  • silmarilliane
    silmarilliane Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i call it a binge when i eat without being hungry. generally it's junk but can be anything. mindless eating because i like the taste, not because i need food. generally followed by a feeling of utter bloatedness and guilt!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Where I eat so much I want to be sick!!!!!!!!!! Then I beat myself up for days