My Exercise Does Not Show up ... What am I doing wrong?

Options
Italiana_xx79
Italiana_xx79 Posts: 593 Member
I am not new to MFP but I am new to adding my exercise into my journal. I click on "add exercise" and I add the strength training that I did but on my summary page, it does not show any calories burned.. am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it since strength training doesn't really burn very many calories.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    MFP only gives you calories for cardio. Strength training does not burn very many calories and it's not easy to calculate the burn. Generally, I give myself 25 calories for every half hour of strength training (high weight, low rep).
  • tdatsenko
    Options
    MFP only gives you calories for cardio. Strength training does not burn very many calories and it's not easy to calculate the burn. Generally, I give myself 25 calories for every half hour of strength training (high weight, low rep).

That's good to know. I want to start keeping track of my weight training in MFP, but didn't want to screw up my diary even more then Strava(cycling) is already doing.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Thanks, good to know! :smile:
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    tdatsenko wrote: »

That's good to know. I want to start keeping track of my weight training in MFP, but didn't want to screw up my diary even more then Strava(cycling) is already doing.

Screw up? You're meant to eat back [most] of your exercise calories, but if you know the estimates are too high, you can adjust the calorie burns manually.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    you can put strength training under cardio if you want the calories for it - just be careful about eating every last calorie back as it may be over estimated (search Strength training" - its there)
  • tdatsenko
    Options
    tdatsenko wrote: »

Screw up? You're meant to eat back [most] of your exercise calories, but if you know the estimates are too high, you can adjust the calorie burns manually.

I would adjust them manually, but I don't have a good idea of what they actually are, so I'm just going to leave them as is for now and not eat them back for the most part. It's probably good to have a cushion for going out with my wife and friends.