how to get started with excising with health problems

I am almost 70 years old and have many activities, such as playing the dulcimer & auto harp and I paint but I need to excise to lose some weight. I have asthma and two very bad knees, what type of excise would you recommend. I do have a treadmill but can only use it for 10 minutes as my knees become sore.

Replies

• kozykondition1
    kozykondition1 Posts: 45 Member
    Aqua aerobics and a light dumbbell routine.
  • ArleneHughes1
    ArleneHughes1 Posts: 1 Member
    Try swimming or water aerobics. Easy on the joints.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    swimming, biking(if that doesn't aggravate your knees), weight training.
  • marialydia
    marialydia Posts: 16 Member
    I'm 62, have lost more than 50 pounds in the past three years, and have a bit more to lose, and I have bad knees and asthma, too.

I hate the treadmill and standing elliptical -- they hurt my knees too much. Fortunately there are so many other things we can do!

I love swimming but sometimes it seems just too much to get cold and wet...especially in winter! The non weight-bearing exercises I am doing include the seated elliptical, nustep, and stationary bicycle. I have added rowing in the past two years which I love, but you must start slowly. Weight training really helps and is highly recommended for us older folks.

• dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Believe it or not you might find a lot of benefit from yoga. No, you won't be able to do all the moves but it will help with basic flexibility. Use the treadmill as it's something you already have. You're able to do 10 minutes now so try doing 3 different sessions for 5 minutes a time and then after a couple weeks switch to 7 minutes at a time and keep increasing. The biggest thing is to do what you can and be patient with yourself.