Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    you need to find what's right for you

I eat around
    200- 250 for breakfast
    350-500 for lunch
    350 - 500 for dinner

and the rest dotted around the day

Different people, different strategies. For my part I find it works better to eat a big protein breakfast, and I'm less hungry for the rest of the day. Fruits make me hungry, so for emergency snacks I'll have some greek yogurt or even a can of mussels.

Breakfast 600-700 cals
    Lunch 450-550 cals
    Dinner 450-550 cals
    Snacks about 200 cals

I have a daily goal of 1900-2100 calories, so if you want to try bigger breakfast, adjust according to your goals...
  • henryberrios87
    henryberrios87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Maybe your dehydrated. I usually drink water all morning keeps me full and hydrated specially when I have a heavy breakfast
  • bre11217715
    bre11217715 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was trying to stay within 1200 calories intake but I have been feeling the hungry ,empty feeling. this is a life changing lifestyle that I'm planning to do for a very very long time, so after much advice from other community members I am going to increase my calorie intake to 1300 and I will not be stressing about calories as much if I am feeling hungry. I will eat something healthy because eventually I will get tired and give up. It's better to worry about eating healthy and have realistic goals than to feel misarble.one of the things that I do when I have the empty stomach feeling I will Blend a cup of almond milk with a little bit of fruit, it keeps me fulfilled till my next meal.thank you for posting your question and don't pay attention to any negative feedback from other members their criticism and their judgment should not Discorage you. There are a lot of members that understand what you're going through and they will give you great suggestions and tips , focus on positive comments.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Sammie262 wrote: »
    I read that if we eat 400 cals for breakfast, then 600 for both lunch and dinner that leaves us with enough cals throughout the day for snacks.

Uh, no. Posting those generic numbers isn't responsible. That adds up to 1600 calories for just the meals, and who knows how many calories on top of that for snacks. One size does not fit all, and eating those kinds of calories could cause people to not lose.
  • TanWord1
    TanWord1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Coachconni wrote: »
    Lola2248 wrote: »
    Ok, so I have been out for a work lunch, and have today eaten around 800 calories...
    But I have a feeling in my stomach like it is about to rumble. It feels empty. I have drunk about 1 1/5 litres of water so don't think it is dehydration.
    anyone experienced this?
    Is it just hunger lol.
    what can I do? I have 2 1/2 hours until I eat my dinner!

No need to eat extra. Try a combination of the following
    Milk alone, Calcium will help coat your stomach. or
    If that does not help, add gelatin packet to milk. This will help with the empty feeling.
    Eat your lunch with cayenne pepper. The circulation will get rid of the empty flat stomach feeling.
    Or make a cayenne pepper mix and drink it. I promise you, you will feel flushed for a long time, you will forget feeling empty.

Forget those who want to bash 800 calories. For however long you can commit to this calorie level, deal with the empty stomach with low calorie solutions until you feel like upping your calorie level.

I'll try this for myself
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I have been out for a work lunch, and have today eaten around 800 calories...
    But I have a feeling in my stomach like it is about to rumble. It feels empty. I have drunk about 1 1/5 litres of water so don't think it is dehydration.
    anyone experienced this?
    Is it just hunger lol.

While I was eating at a deficit, there was 7 hours between noonish lunch and dinner ... I spread my calories out in such a way as to have a late-in-the-day snack - an apple, or fat free greek yogurt, or both.

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the life of calorie restriction. I know I'm losing weight when I feel that way. The only solution I've found for it is drugs.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the life of calorie restriction. I know I'm losing weight when I feel that way. The only solution I've found for it is drugs.

No.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    No.

Yes. I've been playing this game for decades. I know what weight loss feels like.
  • forgtmenot
    Options
    No.

Yes. I've been playing this game for decades. I know what weight loss feels like.

If you've been "playing this game for decades", do you really think you're the person to give someone advice on how to lose weight and keep it off? There are ways to keep yourself from being overly hungry while losing weight. I mentioned one earlier (dividing up your calories so you aren't going too long without food or saving up too many for dinner), also not having your deficit too high is another. The drugs comment... I don't even know how to reply to that.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    If you've been "playing this game for decades", do you really think you're the person to give someone advice on how to lose weight and keep it off?

Please review this thread and quote where I have given advice on how to lose weight and keep it off.

I'm simply commenting that hunger is what you will have to deal with when you have a calorie restriction.

And for me, drugs are the only thing I've found that counters that. Redux in the 90's, and now Phentermine/Topiramate.

I've played the meal timing/number games, the higher-protein/fat games. They do help a little bit but at the end of the day you're running a calorie deficit and that means hunger.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    This thread scares me.
  • forgtmenot
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you've been "playing this game for decades", do you really think you're the person to give someone advice on how to lose weight and keep it off?

Please review this thread and quote where I have given advice on how to lose weight and keep it off.

I'm simply commenting that hunger is what you will have to deal with when you have a calorie restriction.

And for me, drugs are the only thing I've found that counters that. Redux in the 90's, and now Phentermine/Topiramate.

I've played the meal timing/number games, the higher-protein/fat games. They do help a little bit but at the end of the day you're running a calorie deficit and that means hunger.

Hunger is a normal feeling though. People who eat at normal amounts get hungry at mealtimes. Sure in a caloric deficit you will have more hunger, but it shouldn't be so bad that you have to take drugs. If it is then there's something else going on. Either your deficit is too large or you're eating all your calories or most of them during one time of the day (Usually people save too many calories for dinner from what I've noticed on here). I'm obviously on here to lose too, and yes I do have more hunger than before. Heck before I rarely let myself get hungry, but it isn't severe uncomfortable hunger, it is bearable.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    Hunger is a normal feeling though. People who eat at normal amounts get hungry at mealtimes. Sure in a caloric deficit you will have more hunger, but it shouldn't be so bad that you have to take drugs. If it is then there's something else going on.

When I'm on a deficit and actively losing weight, I am not just hungry at mealtimes. I am hungry all the time. Inevitably it has resulted in the end of all my diet attempts. Drugs negate it. My mother is the same way.

Probably what is going on is the body's response to loss of body fat. It's ramping up hunger trying to restore fat stores to their previous level.

I just had my physical and blood work last week and everything is normal, with exception of my blood pressure which is high.

Anyway I stand by what I said to OP. If you're hungry, welcome to living with a calorie deficit.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    anyone experienced this?
    Is it just hunger lol.

I'm probably going to regret asking this, but why do you have to ask other people what hunger feels like?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    anyone experienced this?
    Is it just hunger lol.

I'm probably going to regret asking this, but why do you have to ask other people what hunger feels like?

Some people have to learn what true hunger feels like.

A lot of people who have overeaten for a long time never really knew what it was like. They ate before they got hungry or because it was time.

They confused hunger with having a "taste" or mouth craving for the texture of something.

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    anyone experienced this?
    Is it just hunger lol.

Some people have to learn what true hunger feels like.

A lot of people who have overeaten for a long time never really knew what it was like. They ate before they got hungry or because it was time.

They confused hunger with having a "taste" or mouth craving for the texture of something.

Never knew this. Helpful.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    I used to work with a guy years ago who said his dad used to say, "I eat so I don't get hungry!"
  • taentea
    taentea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've been on 1200 calories diet for 2 months now. I felt hungry because of the diet considerations once and even that lasted 2 hours max. There was a couple of days I felt hungry because I was somewhere the food was not available or it was taking me some time to prepare a meal. But 99% of the time I feel comfortable while eating at a rather big deficit. Actually I've added desserts to my menu and often have more snacks in the evening than I really need just so I can meet my calorie goal for the day.

I don't for a moment doubt that your experience is what you say it is. But mine is different. And OP's situation may be different. I wouldn't discourage her from looking for a way to eat that could make her reasonably comfortable despite the deficit she'll have to sustain for a while.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,170 Member
    Options
    Feeling hungry is GOOD!

Much worse is that feeling of being full ... stuffed. I'd much rather feel hungry.

And if feeling hungry really hurts (stomach pain), try a Tums ... and if that doesn't work, visit your Dr, you may have some sort of stomach issue.