Losing 1/2 pound a week is happening, but it is HARD to tell!

Options
Hi all!

I've been at this since late March, and have lost 5-6 pounds so far.(5-6 to go) Started to exercise more first, and then started watching my calories.

It has been anything but linear, so thank goodness for the progress reports.

The first month, I lost maybe a pound (giving that to retention from new activities), and then down some, up some thanks to my period, down some again, and hanging out the last 2 weeks at the same weight, give or take some ounces.

And, here comes the period in about a week, so I know it'll go up a bit again. I'm coming in most days just under the 250 calorie deficit, because I am not weighing my food.

Lifting pops my weight back up, some, too. I'm hanging in there, but seeing the numbers still frustrates me, though I know why. I've been taking measurements and it backs up the change a little better than the numbers.

If anyone else is in a similar boat, feel free to add me on here. I am more quiet, but log in daily. :)

Replies

• farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    those last 5 or 6 pounds are difficult. Did you say you were NOT weighing your food? You should start weighing if you aren't, you may be eating more than you think, thus the slow weight loss
  • neogramps
    neogramps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Try to take regular progress pics as you go along - it can be hard to see progress if you're just looking at yourself every day. Pictures are a lot more meaningful than the number on the scale, which varies based on how much water, food, and waste you have at the time. Also, you can stay the same weight and change your fat/muscle levels.
  • salvosom
    salvosom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with neogramps. Weight can be meaningless if you're not obese. Maybe try doing body measurements as a better way to track progress.
  • Sephixteeo
    Sephixteeo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Not weighing food yet, but measuring. If it stalls for the next 2-3 weeks, I'll definitely start weighing it. I eat somewhat the same ingredients week to week, thanks to allergies to milk and eggs, peanuts. (will clean up the macro side a bit soon, protein particulary)

I didn't take pictures, but going by clothes, things fit better, and I'm measuring, too. As long as things move in the right direction, I'm okay with being patient. :)

• neogramps
    neogramps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yeah clothes is a good measure too - I have a cargo belt which I just snipped 6 inches off ;)
  • Sephixteeo
    Options
    Wow, that's great! :)

I would definitely settle for a re-comp, but I have read they can be a bit tricky. The goal is to lose fat, hence the lifting coming in to play. I still do cardio, for calorie room, and the mood boost. I'll try to take a picture once a month or so.

It has really seemed slow so far, but looking back, the trend is there and it's more do-able than I felt in the first few weeks.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Pictures say a thousand words. Start taking them! I do mine every 30 days and when I feel like there's been no change, I look at them and there's obvious change.
  • Sephixteeo
    Options
    Thanks!

I started with a couple of pictures early last year when I was on this exact same journey. My dad passed away really unexpectedly a year ago, then sold our home, and I fell away from trying. Maybe I can find a picture, because I was in the same shape and try to compare.
  • dbarnes724
    dbarnes724 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think how your clothes fit tells you if your losing or not.
  • Sephixteeo
    Options
    Yes, I agree, it was the initial main motivation, too. :)
  • pinkamingo
    pinkamingo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I rely on weighing my food more than measurements. For example, oatmeal serving says 1/2 cup or 40 grams. I found that 1/2 cup is more like 50 grams which would be about another 35 calories. Not huge but that definitely adds up. Also, I started adding my vitamins and supplements into my calorie count. That added another 50 cals a day.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Slow loss here too. Go by the trend to smooth out the fluctuations. An app like Trendweight or Libra can help with that. Good luck!
  • Sephixteeo
    Options
    Thanks you guys for the suggestions, I will check them both out. The MFP progress is harder to see on my phone. I'll probably give aunt flo a chance to get out of here, and see where I fall.