Anyone had success from seeing a psychiatrist

Options
Since I am my own biggest obstacle. I've decided that I need professional help getting my head straight. Has anyone else gone through therapy or counseling? Just wondering what to expect and some pointers on getting the most out of this experience that I'm not really looking forward to.

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Here is a page on how to find a psychologist:

http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/choose-therapist.aspx

I would suggest finding one who specializes in cognitive therapy (either Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, of Dialectical Behavioral Therapy).

There is a ton of variability in therapists, so sometimes you need to shop around to find someone who you really believe has the right strategies and can help you :)
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    You will most likely be seeing a counselor or psychologist rather than a psychiatrist. In my experience the psychiatrist is just their for the meds.

Girlviernes had it right, therapists can vary widely! Some are just awful, and some simply have a technique that won't mesh with your personality. I would suggest going to a group, somewhere with multiple therapists on hand. If you don't love the counselor you get-speak up. Or perhaps talk to whoever does your assessment about exactly what you want. A good counselor/group clinic will have enough insight to recommend an appropriate therapist based on your needs.

It took me way too long to figure this out. I personally find therapy awkward and uncomfortable even when I do like the counselor. You will most likely talk to this person about things you would never dream about telling even your closest friend/lover. Make sure you are comfortable with them or you will never be successful. Good luck!
  • helenlovesruby
    helenlovesruby Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ive had mixed experiences with counselling. You May need to see a few before you find the right one. in my case the quality of the relationship is more meaningful than there approach.
  • bejuled74
    bejuled74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your insight! Crossing my fingers for a good fit.