Comfortable in my "heavy-weight" status

Options
I have always admired the girl who has a few extra pounds and owns it. I have to say that after several ups and downs with my weight and popping out a few kids I am much more comfortable with my far from perfect body but I would like to become less comfortable with it. Yep. You read right. I want to feel more self conscious and be more disgusted with myself, so that I might use that as a motivator for getting the weight off and really keeping it off this time.

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Or just realize you can do it for health reasons?

If you're in a healthy range, well then why change? Honestly.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of trying to motivate yourself by being unhappy with your weight, instead you could motivate yourself for other reasons?

How about lowering your risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, gallbladder disease, sleep apnea, and certain cancers?

Plus the benefits of being physically fit: strengthens lungs and joints, maintain muscle mass, reduce bone loss, more energy, reduces stress, sleep better, and most importantly, the impact it will have on your kids. Teach them a healthy lifestyle, be able to participate in activities with them, and keep up with them when they start getting bigger than you are :)
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who's made healthy, permanent lifestyle changes based on self-hatred and disgust. I think it's better to come from a perspective more like, "My body is amazing, I should treat it with care. My kids deserve to have me around as long as possible. I can prove to myself that I am strong enough to (insert fitness goal, be it run a 5k or climb a mountain or play a sport etc)."

Misery is the opposite of committed and motivated in the long run, because change takes time and it's easy to get discouraged if you're just anxiously waiting to be 'good enough'.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    No, just no.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    oh wow. lol.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    While that is good I thought that excess body fat can increase risk in future health issues?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Just set a fitness goal instead. The last thing you need is to feel fat and ugly... trust me on this.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I'm extremely vain so it bothers me a lot. But since it's not an issue for you, maybe think about it as you want to change for health reasons rather then looks. Maybe if you look at it differently, and focus on your health that it'll be easier to stick by.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who's made healthy, permanent lifestyle changes based on self-hatred and disgust. I think it's better to come from a perspective more like, "My body is amazing, I should treat it with care. My kids deserve to have me around as long as possible. I can prove to myself that I am strong enough to (insert fitness goal, be it run a 5k or climb a mountain or play a sport etc)."

Misery is the opposite of committed and motivated in the long run, because change takes time and it's easy to get discouraged if you're just anxiously waiting to be 'good enough'.

I have and will continue to self hate my girly breasts until they turn into pecs.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have always admired the girl who has a few extra pounds and owns it. I have to say that after several ups and downs with my weight and popping out a few kids I am much more comfortable with my far from perfect body but I would like to become less comfortable with it. Yep. You read right. I want to feel more self conscious and be more disgusted with myself, so that I might use that as a motivator for getting the weight off and really keeping it off this time.

Don't try to change your mindset to being unhappy with what you have. Instead, be happy with what you have but interested in trying to improve it. I mean, we don't have to dislike what we have to want better, right? If I were you I would probably just figure out how many calorie's I'd need at a healthy weigh (or healthier weight) and eat that many while working on increasing my overall fitness level through exercise. You might only need to eat a couple hundred calories less per day, which really isn't a lot. If you are content with going the slow and steady route that could work really well in your favor. (I feel compelled to insert the obligatory recommendation for weight training here. It really does help with shaping your body and increasing strength and that makes life much easier.)
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

I have and will continue to self hate my girly breasts until they turn into pecs.

IMO hating or disliking some feature of your body isn't the same thing trying to be more self conscious and disgusted.

It's pretty inevitable, there are plenty of things about myself I don't like and want to change, but I do better at sticking to what I need to when I focus on how I can succeed, than when I focus on the ways I'm a failure.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

I love this!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Umm. what?