Best way to lose fat and gain muscle?

Options
Hi guys,

I was just wondering about how all of you lose fat without losing muscle. I do lots of cardio exercises and I do exercises with weights at home, but when I go to the gym and get on one of the machines, it's harder to lift weight at my normal setting. Could it be eating too little? I really do not want to lose my muscle strength because I really need it for dancing and tumbling. If anyone could provide me with advice I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    In order to retain muscle mass and strength, you need to be doing weight training on a regular basis. Undereating can lead to muscle loss, but strength loss is caused by not using those muscles, regardless of their size.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    The best way to keep your muscle mass while losing fat is to eat at a moderate deficit, no more than 20%. Keep your protein high (usually 1g protein per 1 lb of lean body mass) and strength train. If you're losing strength then your routine is not a very good one, or your deficit is too high.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Reasonable caloric deficit, enough protein (rule of thumb 1g/lb/lbm), and progressive loading strength training.
  • dmlas777
    dmlas777 Posts: 15
    Options
    since i do tumbling/gymnastics and dance, we have a VERY strict training and conditioning schedule. For gymnastics we have 2.5 hours of training twice a week plus 3 hrs of training once a week. In that time, 30 min is devoted to conditioning, and 15 min to bar conditioning (pull ups, chin ups, chin holds etc.). Our normal conditioning usually consists of a bit of cardio+strength training. Additionally there is conditioning for dance (pushups, situps, leg holds, etc.), and conditioning that I do at home (nike training club). I'm still unsure of why I am losing muscle. I took a break for a while since I was sick with the stomach flu (yuck) and had to stay at home. This may have caused me to lose more muscle mass than I should have. I really need to build it back up again though, so if anyone has any training suggestions to do at home it would help a ton!

Thanks again!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    My guess... not enough protein, not enough calories, not enough sleep.

Not enough lifting probably isn't helping either.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    My guess... not enough protein, not enough calories, not enough sleep.

Not enough lifting probably isn't helping either.

This would be my guess as well. You didn't mention how much you were eating. Also, don't confuse muscle mass with strength, it's not exactly the same thing. You can gain strength without building mass. Your concern is you are getting weaker rather than stronger correct? Eat more protein :) I increased my calories by only 200cals a day and in the last two months I have gotten amazingly stronger, I was shocked at the difference.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I was losing strength when my caloric deficit was too steep (just a hair over my BMR). I increased it by a couple of hundred cals, and it allows me to do progressive weight training again.

Sickness combined with a lengthy break can sap your strength. There is no shortcuts here without drugs, so you just need to start building your strength again through exercise.
  • dmlas777
    dmlas777 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hey guys,

I'll try eating more protein, but I feel as though my amounts are sufficent. For example, yesterday, for breakfast I had granola with yogurt, for lunch I had a grilled chicken sandwich, and for dinner I had kofte (Turkish meatballs) and rice. For snacks, I had an ice cream sandwich, a protein bar, and some carrots (also some chocolate). Additionally, I was windsurfing and sailing all of yesterday (about 4 hrs), then after coming home I had gymnastics (3 hrs). Could it be possible that I'm creating too much of a deficit by doing too much exercise? If so, how can I correct this? Thanks again for all of your help!
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I'll try eating more protein, but I feel as though my amounts are sufficent. For example, yesterday, for breakfast I had granola with yogurt, for lunch I had a grilled chicken sandwich, and for dinner I had kofte (Turkish meatballs) and rice. For snacks, I had an ice cream sandwich, a protein bar, and some carrots (also some chocolate). Additionally, I was windsurfing and sailing all of yesterday (about 4 hrs), then after coming home I had gymnastics (3 hrs). Could it be possible that I'm creating too much of a deficit by doing too much exercise? If so, how can I correct this? Thanks again for all of your help!

Your deficit is too large? You need to eat more, work out less, or both. Without a reasonable calorie count of your exercise and your food, it's tough to tell how much of a deficit you have.