Options
2»

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Stronglifts 5x5

Yep. There is an app you can download to track your progress at stronglifts.com.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    I've looked around a lot on this site and seeing pictures I've noticed most of you lift weights. How does one start or what machines repetitions, etc should I start on?
    I have scoliosis as well so anything to help build my core and back muscles would be great.
    Try to stick to free weights, not machines. Barbells and dumbbells are where it's at.
    Don't worry about "getting too bulky". You will never accidentally look like a bodybuilder.

Anyone new to lifting should stick to machines for a few weeks and concentrate on forum a this is the most important starting point. If you have improper form you very well may hurt yourself
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Anyone new to lifting should stick to machines for a few weeks and concentrate on forum a this is the most important starting point. If you have improper form you very well may hurt yourself

I've got a question on that one then... How do you learn proper form for using barbells if you don't actually use them? Machines do have their place but they will have to learn the proper form with the proper equipment if planning to move on to using the squat rack or deadlifting.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I've looked around a lot on this site and seeing pictures I've noticed most of you lift weights. How does one start or what machines repetitions, etc should I start on?
    I have scoliosis as well so anything to help build my core and back muscles would be great.
    Try to stick to free weights, not machines. Barbells and dumbbells are where it's at.
    Don't worry about "getting too bulky". You will never accidentally look like a bodybuilder.

So a machine is going to teach someone proper form on deadlift, really?????
  • TheSunshineQueen
    TheSunshineQueen Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I recently joined bodyspace.bodybuilding.com because it enables you to create your own program(s) and has detailed information for each workout. It's particularly useful since I'm still very new to strength training and can't quite remember which exercise is which (obvious ones like "bicep curls" exempted).
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Or you could learn proper form with the proper tools.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I recently joined bodyspace.bodybuilding.com because it enables you to create your own program(s) and has detailed information for each workout. It's particularly useful since I'm still very new to strength training and can't quite remember which exercise is which (obvious ones like "bicep curls" exempted).

I would suggest going with a structured program as opposed to one designed by your self. Reason being, structured programs are designed by pros that have been lifting for a long time.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

I'm going to join on piling on here. This is poor advice that doesn't even make sense. It's impossible to learn proper form from machines that don't function the same way as compound lifts.
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    What kind of schedule do I do with lifting? I do treadmill 4 days a week....when should I put lifting in there?
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at any of the links above? Start there.