Travel Food "Hacks"

Options
LLduds
LLduds Posts: 258 Member
I have to make a road trip next week. I'll be in the car/on the road for the majority of 2 days and staying in a motel for an additional 2 days. I'm not exactly gifted in the culinary arts :) Anyone have any favorite travel foods that are easy to prepare/portable and relatively low-cal? I don't want to end up starving, hitting a drive through, and burning through my entire calorie allotment for the day. TIA :)

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you can get low cal options from fast food places ...subway, mcdonalds, burger king etc, you just have to take a look at the menu and think it out a little more...

but if you are packing sandwiches whole wheat bread with turkey or chicken breasts works good and you can take some greek yogurt with you as well. Just keep the bread and meat separate so the bread does not get soggy ...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I take yogurt and boiled eggs plus fruits/veggies. You can put an ice pack in with your yogurt and boiled eggs when you're in the car and then put the ice pack in the hotel fridge's freezer overnight to refreeze it. If your hotel is providing breakfast, take an extra banana and apple with you.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Pack a cooler: cold salads - traditional lettuce, or pasta salad, tabouli, couscous, etc. Tuna or salmon in a pouch, jerky, hard boiled eggs, wraps, veggies with hummus or other dips, fruit, etc.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I pack little baggies of snacks like peanuts, dried fruit, and some sweet treats that I usually crave, and put one of each into a separate gallon bag per each day on the road. I tell myself THIS ONE BAG holds all my treats for the day. I do add a few things I don't normally eat but enjoy, like a rice Krispy treat. Then for lunches while on the road, I usually pack a small container of hummus, veggies, lean meats, and string cheese. For dinner I find a subway and order one of their salads.

I have found I really like those baggies of snacks. I feel like I have enough to satisfy my cravings while driving, and most of the time I never finish all the snacks anyway. Mind games.
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I look forward to seeing everyone's replies, as these hacks will likely be very useful for the day to day. I would probably focus on trying to keep breakfast and lunch packed and eating dinner out by eating at places that have their nutritional information available.

I would pack cheese, crackers, hard boiled egg, fruit, and yogurt for healthy breakfast or lunch. All are relatively easy to eat in a car and fairly easy to keep cold. You would need a cooler with ice packs and hopefully be able to refreeze them at the hotel. Lots of fruits and veggies can go without refrigeration for a couple of days. Nuts, seeds, dried fruit, would be good for munching as well.

• kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    There was a thread the other day asking what fast food you'd eat for 415 calories. It had about 4 pages of ideas. You could get some reasonable drive thru ideas there.

Here it is.
  • LLduds
    Options
    Very helpful! Thanks everyone!
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Protein bars, trail mix, dry cereal (you can find some high in protein and fiber), sandwiches such as egg or tuna, and just the other day I even noticed at my local Vitamin Shoppe they sell these little cans of ready to eat high protein yogurt! They were just okay, but they were definitely convenient and a healthy alternative when there's nothing else available!
  • LLduds
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Here are some other ideas I found searching the internet:
    *** For Munching***
    - Frozen grapes
    - Air popped popcorn with various flavoring options (grated Parmesan cheese, chili powder, nutritional yeast, etc).
    - "Bare" brand Apple chips (dried apple slices that are the shape/size of potato chips)
    - Fresh blueberries

*** For a Quick Lunch ***
    - Crunchy Curried Tuna Salad
    ½ cup canned tuna with 1 teaspoon curry powder, 1 tablespoon chopped red onion, and two ribs celery (chopped).
    - Turkey breast + cheese from deli

*** For Breakfast ***
    - Vitalicious VitaTops Deep Chocolate muffin top - only 100 cals and sooo yummy (I forgot about these, now totally craving them)
    - Barbara’s Puffins Peanut Butter & Chocolate (¾ cup) with ½ cup nonfat milk
    152 calories, 3g fiber, 6g protein, 1g fat - I've never had these but they sound good (all these peanut butter threads have really got me going!)

I'm avoiding nuts and trail mix because they tend to have a lot of calories and I will gorge myself on them if given the opportunity. I've printed up the nutritional info/menus for Subway, Wendy's, and Arby's. My hotel does have a fridge/microwave in the room so that will help!

Thanks to all!