Pilates studio vs Gym , which to join for quicker weight loss

Hi! I would like to lose about 50 pounds, I just recently started MFP again, lost a couple of pounds already and want to start exercising regularly to hopefully help me reach my goals more effectively. I recently visited a Pilates studio, worked with the owner for about 30 minutes and while I really enjoyed it and felt quite sore the following day, I did not sweat nearly as much as when I hit cardio equipment at the gym.

Basically, I like the Pilates studio atmosphere much more than the gym but I am not sure if I would be as effective in helping me lose weight. I wish I could afford both memberships but I have to choose between the two.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• fallenoaks4
    fallenoaks4 Posts: 63 Member
    Pick the one you enjoy most. You'll be more likely to stick with it if you like it.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    A calorie deficit is for weight loss; it doesn't matter what exercise you do.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    If you're only going to the gym for cardio...........then I'd pick Pilates. If you're to the gym for weights/strength training, then I'd pick the gym.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    If you like Pilates it's probably a good place to start. There is a strength component to it which is good. The advantage to a gym is you can lift weights which is great for maintaining muscle. But in general it's a good idea to focus on activity that you enjoy :)
  • adrich430
    adrich430 Posts: 6 Member
    I would only be going for cardio. Being an older,overweight lady I feel easily intimidated around the weight machines
  • adrich430
    adrich430 Posts: 6 Member
    thanks everyone for your responses!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Well, you can get the cardio from walking, and now is the season for it. Consider saving up to work with a trainer to learn weight lifting though! The gym might have an introductory package.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    If I were you then I'd walk for cardio and do Pilates. I've done it and it's a good workout for building a little muscle and great flexibility as we get older.............I'm 65. I like weight lifting better though.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    You aren't going to permanently lose weight quickly no matter what program you join. Pick the one you enjoy the most, eat right, and stick with it and the changes will come. Good luck