1200 calories a day for women

Options

Replies

• DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    MFP puts me at 1210 per day to lose 1lb per week. I find it very hard to stick to and have been going over this limit a lot (even with eating back exercise calories) so my actual loss is more like 0.5 lbs per week.
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have my goal set to 1200 calories, but they definitely vary day by day. Most days I net between 1200 and 1500. On my "bad" days (weekends), I net at maintenance or a little below. The days that I eat at 1200 are usually my "calorie make up" days.
  • Terrymichelle
    Terrymichelle Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    At 5'1 131lbs with 16 pounds to go I feel 1200 calories is perfect for me. Actually, I'm usually so full after dinner I can barely stand it lol. I normally see about 1.5 lbs lost a week. Especially now toward the end. I try to stick to just about 1200 and don't normally eat my exercise calories back unless I indulge on the weekend. :)
  • alexistexas33
    alexistexas33 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Ah okay, thanks for all the replys! I mean MFP is telling me to eat 1900 a day. In 15 weeks i already lost 37 pounds. I am 5'5 but I think my age plays a part in it too
  • BlueIdyll
    BlueIdyll Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think it's definitely easier for us shorter folk to stick to 1200 and feel satisfied. I'm barely 5'2" and 23 years old, and the first time I kept on with MFP I lost about 15lbs. For 5'5" I'd go up to maybe 1400. 1200 seems a little low with those 3 extra inches!
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day is reasonable for weight loss. Readjust what you think a serving size is. Most apples are easily two servings. A sandwich is generally enough for two meals. Serving sizes are just out of control.

On days I don't exercise it is adequate. I eat more as I exercise.

Especially as I get older learning to eat smaller portions is an adjustment I need to make.

Saving a ton of money eating appropriate sized meals...sharing at restaurants. There are plenty of up sides to making the adjustment to eating less.

• cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I tried doing 1200 calories and I wanted to kill everyone. haha. I love my food! I am pretty active, so it's just not enough. I can see how it could be OK for some people who are really sedentary. But if you can eat more and still lose weight, why not??
  • Lexieberry
    Lexieberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I eat, realistically, around 1200-1400 a day, and feel full.I say just make sure you're eating food that actually has substance in nutritional value instead of empty calories that leave you feeling hungry in the end
  • Angiefit4life
    Angiefit4life Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have MFP set to .5 loss per week and I get 1220 cals. It's based on your stats. I am not hungry but yes of course I could eat more (the reason why I am using MFP) but I am satisfied. I am 159 days in and have lost 34#.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Doctors do recommend it, because some study or other established that it was safe. It's ludicrous for most people imo.
  • Angiefit4life
    Angiefit4life Posts: 210 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    amwcnw wrote: »
    I have MFP set to .5 loss per week and I get 1220 cals. It's based on your stats. I am not hungry but yes of course I could eat more (the reason why I am using MFP) but I am satisfied. I am 159 days in and have lost 34#.
    Ouch, 1220 calories at .5 per week? You must not be active the slightest bit.

No, sadly I am not. I have an autoimmune disease akylosing spondylitis. I do try and get some walking in on my good days. And I had lost some weight before starting my streak on MFP:).
  • rocknrollfire
    rocknrollfire Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    everyone is different. i would lose my mind on only 1200/day. even when i had myself set at 1600-1800/day i found i was often irritable, lethargic, and my exercise performance/endurance suffered. buuut i work full time at a physical job and walk or cycle everywhere. now i'm at 2300 which probably seems very high but is the only way i've been able to make this whole thing work for me.

(fwiw i'm a 26 year old woman and i'm only trying to lose .5lb/wk - looking more for general lifestyle + health improvement than rapid weight loss)
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm 5.1, on 1700+ a day and losing nicely. I couldn't manage on 1200 a day, I tried and failed, maybe I could manage it on a day I don't get off the coach but a work day no way. This is me and I applaud those who can, I like my sauces, dressing, meat etc too much lol

At my goal weight my TDEE would be around 1500, getting less as I get older my BMR would be 1280
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day is reasonable for weight loss. Readjust what you think a serving size is. Most apples are easily two servings. A sandwich is generally enough for two meals. Serving sizes are just out of control.

On days I don't exercise it is adequate. I eat more as I exercise.

Especially as I get older learning to eat smaller portions is an adjustment I need to make.

Saving a ton of money eating appropriate sized meals...sharing at restaurants. There are plenty of up sides to making the adjustment to eating less.

I sandwich 2 servings? I hope there are fries with that. A sandwich we can pick up in a supermarket (uk) would no way be 2 serving but a sandwich in a restaurant (usa) maybe.
  • laurenmw1990
    laurenmw1990 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been on a STRICT diet of no more than 1200 calories a day, and I feel great! I am also 5'10... I use MFP to track every bite lol and I still have the energy to work out 4 times a week, and walk everyday... it is totally doable, as long as you are committed. One thing I found using the App, was that you can eat ALOT of GOOD food for 1200 calories, if you are tracking it correctly! I also have a young child, who requires a lot of movement, with soccer and swimming.
  • kathygolean
    kathygolean Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sent you a friend request. I'm trying to stay 1200 cals/day. Not always successful.... ;)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I'm super short and can easily (and do) eat low calories in a day. My meals are very plant based, and I often wonder what kinds of nutrients I'm missing.
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I think the same thing. I personally feel like I'm starving all the time if I have less than 1400 a day.

Me too!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that those ladies who replied saying they were over 50 or self-identified as 'old' look great! I'd have never have guessed your age. So while its a bummer that you're stuck with less calories, you do look awesome!