Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    jaga13 wrote: »
    SuggaD wrote: »
    If you don't mind paraphrasing, are you really asking "those who continously say CICO doesn't work, and that XYZ foods are the way to lose weight, then why are you on a calorie counting website?" (I've been wondering the same thing...I assume they don't actually use MFP, and are just in the discussion sections).

Yes. That's what I'm talking about. The low carbers (they annoy me most of all), paleo, military dieter, Whole30, etc. They are maddening.

Gotcha. They are either combining quality and quantity efforts (which could work well), but I highly suspect they're not logging at all and just writing in the forums.

I'm a CICO logger myself, but I am conscientious about eating a lot of fruit, veggies, whole grains, and lean protein. I guess I try to "eat clean" most of the day and avoid a lot of processed food. That's for health reasons but also because I get to eat a lot more volume when I eat most natural food. And I like to eat a high volume!

Macro tracking. It's not just about CICO - CICO is the sum total of all macros eaten throughout the day. Further, the application allows one to track micro nutrients as well.

Which is more maddening, questioning the honest efforts of those who are on specific diet plans by using an application as it's been intended to use for a variety of tracking purposes - or just using it to track how many calories eaten in a day?

I would think the madness is not understanding what you are eating and its contribution to the overall intake rather than some total calorie number created out of thin air.

I think you forgot to add your favorite completely unrelated catch phrase to that post.
    HA legit.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind paraphrasing, are you really asking "those who continously say CICO doesn't work, and that XYZ foods are the way to lose weight, then why are you on a calorie counting website?" (I've been wondering the same thing...I assume they don't actually use MFP, and are just in the discussion sections).

Yes. That's what I'm talking about. The low carbers (they annoy me most of all), paleo, military dieter, Whole30, etc. They are maddening.

Gotcha. They are either combining quality and quantity efforts (which could work well), but I highly suspect they're not logging at all and just writing in the forums.

I'm a CICO logger myself, but I am conscientious about eating a lot of fruit, veggies, whole grains, and lean protein. I guess I try to "eat clean" most of the day and avoid a lot of processed food. That's for health reasons but also because I get to eat a lot more volume when I eat most natural food. And I like to eat a high volume!

Macro tracking. It's not just about CICO - CICO is the sum total of all macros eaten throughout the day. Further, the application allows one to track micro nutrients as well.

Which is more maddening, questioning the honest efforts of those who are on specific diet plans by using an application as it's been intended to use for a variety of tracking purposes - or just using it to track how many calories eaten in a day?

I would think the madness is not understanding what you are eating and its contribution to the overall intake rather than some total calorie number created out of thin air.

Fyi, you quoted me, but I'm not the OP who said it was maddening :)
  • serenev22
    serenev22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

why are you "annoyed" by other people's dietary choices that literally have no effect on your life in the slightest?
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options

A good detox cleanse would help you clear out some of that "maddening" energy.
  • vanillaorange2
    vanillaorange2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Just because someone try's out a special diet dose not mean that person should not be able to track Calories. Or use the app. I find that a lot of the users are very fast to negatively judge others on here. The community was set up for support not to be looked down on, regardless of your own personal weigh loss journey. Who hasent tried out a new "fad" diet or work out routine just to see if it might work out for them.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's the special/fad diet that OP is referring to, but rather the daily threads where people question CICO...on a calorie counting site.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    If you call it a calorie counting site, someone will tell you "NO, IT'S A FITNESS SITE."

If you call it a fitness site, someone will tell you "NO, IT's A CALORIE COUNTING WEBSITE."

You really can't win, so it's best to just stick to nudes and cat gifs. *shrug*
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    At least some of those do use MFP to count carbs, presumably. What I find weirder (although granted, I don't really care) are those who ask about fad diets that include specific menus and food choices. If you are going to do one of those (and they all sound horrible), why would you use MFP? You are not making a decision about what to eat and presumably have no need to track calories (it's dictated by the preplanned menus).

But I honestly don't get anyone choosing to do some plan where they are told precisely what to eat.

Beyond that, a great many people choosing to do a diet where you eliminate foods vs. counting calories explain that they don't want to count calories, think counting calories is weird or burdensome, so in that case why MFP is a fair question.

That said, I may stop logging regularly (I'm taking a break now, although I do plan to start up again) and would probably continue to hang out here, since I enjoy the community/forum, the community support/feed, and like being able to run calorie counts and log exercise and look up the calories and nutrients in various food items. Off and on before I found MFP I would occasionally log on Livestrong and I never kept it up, I think because it didn't have the same kind of community, which is for me helpful in staying motivated.

For someone doing a fad diet, maybe wanting to tell everyone they are WRONG, WRONG about how the GM diet doesn't work (or whatever) provides motivation to keep going. ;-)
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Because all special dieters like low carb and paleo think their way of eating excludes CICO, right?

Not possible they eat a certain way because of satiation, or how their body responds to certain macros.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    So I can log 1 calorie in my exercise everyday just to have MFP turn it into 2500 calories.. You know if we were at our ideal weight the site wouldn't have a purpose I think they need us fat???
  • LadyFencer
    LadyFencer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Some people seem to be here to make sure anyone who wants to try a vegan diet will be told it's not necessary.
  • Curtez
    Curtez Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    To get jacked.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    So I can log 1 calorie in my exercise everyday just to have MFP turn it into 2500 calories.. You know if we were at our ideal weight the site wouldn't have a purpose I think they need us fat???

Huh?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »

Huh?

That was my reaction too.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »

Huh?
    MFP raises my exercise calories everyday as a MFP adjustment. Its an on going problem for me here- I have been told there is a fix for it in the future.

• LadyFencer
    LadyFencer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    LadyFencer wrote: »
    Some people seem to be here to make sure anyone who wants to try a vegan diet will be told it's not necessary.

It's not though..not for weight loss or general health at least.

You're right. It's not. But why say that every single time? When someone asks about Paleo, I figure that's what they want to know about and I stay out of it. I don't try to use their question to push my own agenda. Plus people who answer questions about vegan diets often don't know anything about them. So they end up perpetuating myths- like that you have to be careful about protein.