FitBit - Yes or No

Options
I am looking at the FitBit - what does everyone feel about this? Pros and cons. Thanks so much!

Replies

• DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, and yes!!! One of my maxims is that if you want to change something, all you have to do is measure it. Once you see a number that represents your activity, that number will increase. You WILL become more active, just because you can SEE the number. Having that number gives you something to focus on and take pride in on a daily basis.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yes

But basic like the zip

Not the HRM
  • o0oDeuceo0o
    o0oDeuceo0o Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    BIG yes !!!, i find myself walking more and more just to reach my goals where as before i just got a taxi everywhere lol. Its also great to see those extra calories i can eat :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are. If you want to be motivated to move more, and seeing the actual numbers will motivate you, then yes, definitely get a Fitbit. I know lots of people who are moving much more now that they have one. Seeing low step counts makes us realize how little we were really moving before and having a concrete number and a goal is definitely motivating.

If something like that won't be motivating to you then it may not be worth your money.

ETA: I love my Fitbit One. I've had it for 2.5 years now and I wear it every single day.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Yes- But I only use it as a step counter and force myself to get those 10k a day!

I don't use the calorie burn function of it because I think it's highly inflated.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Yes

But basic like the zip

Not the HRM

Can you elaborate about why not to do the HRM? I'm considering buying one as well but was planning to go with the big one (Surge I think?)....
  • Terri6627
    Terri6627 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love my charge HR. I find it makes calorie logging super accurate. With the combination of MFP and fitbit, I log my food on MFP. Just be aware that if you back to your food diary for a previous day about 100-200 of the calories it said you burned will be gone (if you allow negative calorie adjustments). Dunno why, just does it.
  • rkerbrat
    rkerbrat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    YES! It's made all the difference for me.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yes! I definitely get off my butt more since having mine. I have the fitbit charge hr. I love, love, love it! I also have the fitbit Aria scale. The pair are seriously one of the best purchases that I ever made. I'm down 40 pounds since getting mine February 19th of this year.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I have a zip. Love Love Love it.
  • agartin
    agartin Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Yes

But basic like the zip

Not the HRM

Can you elaborate about why not to do the HRM? I'm considering buying one as well but was planning to go with the big one (Surge I think?)....

I chose against the fitbit charge HR because my main reason for wanting this was to get my best estimate of calories burned. After reading several reviews of people wearing it along with their chest strap HRM's, I was disheartened to find review after review stating it's inaccuracy. I decided to get a polar HRM with a chest strap since my old one bit the dust, it should arrive in the mail any day now. I'm very excited. I may still get a fitbit zip to see my daily step goals/activity outside of the gym but I would not rely on it for anything more.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and love it.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    IAmTheGlue wrote: »
    Yes! I definitely get off my butt more since having mine. I have the fitbit charge hr. I love, love, love it! I also have the fitbit Aria scale. The pair are seriously one of the best purchases that I ever made. I'm down 40 pounds since getting mine February 19th of this year.

I've seen that scale, what do you like about it? Is it different from other scales?
  • TrudyJoy2313
    TrudyJoy2313 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the flex, it will be here tomorrow and I am soooo excited!
  • abetterluke
    Options
    Hmmm...I have a polar HRM with the chest strap but haven't used it yet (you know...i've only had it since...uhh...christmas...)

I just like the big screen on the Surge and the fact that it can interface with your phone for caller ID and such...
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Yes

But basic like the zip

Not the HRM

Sure but I've posted this quite a bit

I think the HRM wearable are a marketeers dream tbh

Unless you have a reason to want to trace your heart rate eg some type of heart condition

If you want it for more accurate calorie estimation of TDEE then it's guff IMHO, and I haven't been convinced otherwise on any of the wearables

The way a HRM works to estimate calorie burn is based on a formula pinned to steady state cardio

The rest of the time the pedometer would take over as the prime activity tracker ..hr does not equate to calorie burn

And that's what the standard models do
  • mnova4140
    mnova4140 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I own a Garmin Vivofit and I love it. It makes my progress visible and helps to keep me on track. Also, I sync my Garmin Connect account with my MyFitnessPal account and it shows me all of my progress (or sometimes lack of progress!) in one place.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Terri6627 wrote: »
    I love my charge HR. I find it makes calorie logging super accurate. With the combination of MFP and fitbit, I log my food on MFP. Just be aware that if you back to your food diary for a previous day about 100-200 of the calories it said you burned will be gone (if you allow negative calorie adjustments). Dunno why, just does it.

The fitbit extrapolates your TDEE based on activity to that time when you synched it

So if you exercise early / move more early in the day and then do less / nothing it will adjust the actual TDEE based on what you actually did over the 24 hours

This is true of all fitbits

It begins to learn you over time though - clever little thing
  • Lizzipoos
    Lizzipoos Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I bought my boyfriend the fitbit surge and he is loving it! You definitely don't NEED one to lose weight, but it is SUCH a big help. It's made him more active and a lot more motivated to keep active. He also uses MFP now and using both is really, really helping him. It's a good way to just make sure you're being active, really.

Seeing him do so great with it has made me get one myself. I got the fitbit charge HR and it should be here tomorrow. I can't wait!

Imo, if you can get one (as in you're not going to go broke over it) and you want one, then I say get one!
  • abetterluke
    Options
    Yes

But basic like the zip

Not the HRM

Sure but I've posted this quite a bit

I think the HRM wearable are a marketeers dream tbh

Unless you have a reason to want to trace your heart rate eg some type of heart condition

If you want it for more accurate calorie estimation of TDEE then it's guff IMHO, and I haven't been convinced otherwise on any of the wearables

The way a HRM works to estimate calorie burn is based on a formula pinned to steady state cardio

The rest of the time the pedometer would take over as the prime activity tracker ..hr does not equate to calorie burn

And that's what the standard models do

Interesting. So from your explanation you'd say that the Polar HRM's aren't worth it either? I have one that I haven't used yet...