Women and "Heavy" Lifting

Options
2»

Replies

• HoundstoothMFP
    HoundstoothMFP Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Oh wow thanks I've always like that site but I've never seen this.
    Try your good friend Craig (craigslist) right now is when all the, "resolution," people realize that they aren't going to use all their fitness equipment and are trying to get rid of them. You can get great deals on fitness equipment right now.

This^ if you want equipment on the cheap but aren't in any rush Craigslist and gumtree are the way to go! Got my incline bench and squat rack for £ 40, I use adjustable dumbell plates for micro plates £10, the basics allways come up eventually since alot of people buy equipment and give up after a couple of months

Heavy is heavy what's heavy for you, if the last couple of reps are a real struggle then it's heavy lifting. Don't try to match anyone's stats, everyone is different in rates of progression, experience, strength, training and build.

If your curious about average weights lifted 1rpm by body weight and training this chart may help

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be too concerned about adding weight-lifting at this stage of your journey. I would concentrate on these body weight exercises four days a week:

Workout A:
    • Squats
    • Push-ups
    • Pull-ups
    • Sit-ups
    • Bridges

Workout B:
    • Static lunges
    • RKC plank
    • Step-ups
    • Pull-ups

4 sets of 8-12 reps (these can all be modified to your level)

You could add dumbell weight as you lose weight if that is your goal.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing is that you're progressing. I started a year ago and I've pretty much doubled, or more, every weight I've been lifting since I started. It matters less to me what I'm lifting and more that I keep adding weight every month or so.
  • HoundstoothMFP
    HoundstoothMFP Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I've found at my size and working at home some of these are difficult, like sit ups, bridges and pull ups. I was following some of the fitness blender body weight workouts but I was having to do too much modification to get in some positions. I do counter push ups everyday before cardio though and hope to progress to the floor next week. I'll try to work in some planks before cardio though. I wish there was a pull up alternative that didn't potentially risk me ripping the door frame in my apartment!
    rileyes wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too concerned about adding weight-lifting at this stage of your journey. I would concentrate on these body weight exercises four days a week:

Workout A:
    • Squats
    • Push-ups
    • Pull-ups
    • Sit-ups
    • Bridges

Workout B:
    • Static lunges
    • RKC plank
    • Step-ups
    • Pull-ups

4 sets of 8-12 reps (these can all be modified to your level)

You could add dumbell weight as you lose weight if that is your goal.

• tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I am new to heavy lifting, but right now im up to 50lbs squat (I have a bad knee so this has been slower progress), 85lbs deadlift, 60lbs bench press.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Counter push-ups are great!

I'm working on the pull-ups myself. A good alternative may be reclining pull-ups. I hung a couple gymnastics rings from a beam.

My biggest suggestion would be to keep it simple. Alter the basic (push, pull, squat, lunge) exercises to your level. Make sure you are challenging yourself with these moves 4 days a week (cardio too). I would remain active the other three days with something fun like a sport, hike or just dancing to some favorite music.