How Much People Overeat

Options
Most people gain 1 to 2lbs per year. That means that, on average, people overeat by only 10 to 20 calories per day. For those of you who like to weigh stuff, that is between 1.7 and 3.4 grams of peanut butter per day.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Most people gain 1 to 2lbs per year. That means that, on average, people overeat by only 10 to 20 calories per day. For those of you who like to weigh stuff, that is between 1.7 and 3.4 grams of peanut butter per day.

*citation needed
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    and...?
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I wish I hadn't read that! How depressing
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Mmmm-K
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

1.7 - 3.4 grams of peanut butter. Where's the fun in that? ;)
  • juggernaut1974
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    and...?

I'm guessing somehow this is part of his anti-food scale crusade ("For those of you who like to weigh stuff"), though for the life of me, I can't figure out how he's going to get there.

I'd also like to know where he got his stats from other than that place where the sun don't shine.
  • juggernaut1974
    edited May 2015
    Options
    dupe post...my bad
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Oh. Is this a peanut butter fact thread? I'm in.

The average American consumes more than six pounds of peanuts and peanut butter products each year.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    "Most people"?! Really? Lots of people here (and all over the place) are losing weight. From what I've read here, those who gained weight likely put on quite a bit more than that in one year.

More details, OP? Not sure of the point.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Oh. Is this a peanut butter fact thread? I'm in.

The average American consumes more than six pounds of peanuts and peanut butter products each year.

Oh...now that I can get on board with.

By law, any product labeled “peanut butter” in the United States must be at least 90 percent peanuts.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    "Most people"?! Really? Lots of people here (and all over the place) are losing weight. From what I've read here, those who gained weight likely put on quite a bit more than that in one year.

I think that 1 to 2 lbs is probably for people who are at their "set weight." Most people who have lost weight gain it back in 2 to 3 years, so they, obviously, would be gaining more than 1 to 2 lbs per year.

I just thought it was interesting that people maintain their current weight so precisely.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Yes, I definitely put mine on in the first couple of years after my last son was born. Then I maintained that weight for years and years. I'm sure some people do have weight creep up on them. I'd like to see more info on this "average person."
  • juggernaut1974
    edited May 2015
    Options

I think that 1 to 2 lbs is probably for people who are at their "set weight." Most people who have lost weight gain it back in 2 to 3 years, so they, obviously, would be gaining more than 1 to 2 lbs per year.

I just thought it was interesting that people maintain their current weight so precisely.

So...you basically just made that "statistic" up?
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I would say this is accurate for many. if I take my parents for example it is very true. neither is huge. but each year it was just alittle bit more. when it is one or two lbs people don't get to concerned. but after 10-20 years and its now 20-40lbs then they want to do something. advice I give to those who want to lose 'just' 5lbs, is to do it now. it is easier to get it under control when u only have 5 to lose than 20,30,40 so on. I let it go for far too long
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options

"Set weight"?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Apparently people gain about a lb/year, but it's specifically over the winter holidays: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?cmd=retrieve&list_uids=10727591&dopt=AbstractPlus

People who are already overweight gain more: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=11206847&ordinalpos=15&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

I don't think I've done the "weight creep up" thing, though--when I've gained it's been pretty rapidly.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    mr5vbeiiqcn5.jpg
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Idiot-GIF.gif
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Idiot-GIF.gif