Plant-based whey protein

Options
Curtez
Curtez Posts: 62 Member
I recently came across plant based whey protein powder. Is it better for you etc vs the other stuff found in gnc/vitamin shop?

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I….what?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It can't be! By definition whey is a byproduct from curdling milk. There's plant-based protein powders like Vega One. They get their protein from flax, hemp, sacha, and spirulina.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    They finally perfected the science on that milk tree, huh?
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Curtez wrote: »
    I recently came across plant based whey protein powder. Is it better for you etc vs the other stuff found in gnc/vitamin shop?
    Whey is from milk so can't be plant based.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Well cows do convert plants into milk, and whey is derived from milk, so in that respect whey is plant based. But then so is meat.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I think OP means plant based protein powder. Whey, of course, is derived from milk, and therefore can't be considered plant based. A lot of people think "whey" is just another word for protein, so maybe that's where the confusion comes from...

Yes, OP. I use plant based protein since I have trouble digesting the milk protein, casein. I prefer the pea protein blends, myself. The one I use is a complete protein blend, so it has all the necessary amino acids. It doesn't seem to be much different from the whey proteins, except that I can digest it more easily, LOL. No stomach aches for me! :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Whey comes from milk -- which fits into a vegetarian diet.
    If you want a protein that is from plants, look at these: pea, hemp, rice.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    @jenilla1 what product do you use, I've been trying to find one higher in protein than I use currently but am not sure what to try because I know the taste can be iffy on some
  • alibanjo
    alibanjo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Like pea and soy? I would say they were worthwhile if you were vegan or lactose intolerant. Otherwise, stick to whey. Its high bioavailabilitybioavailability and amino acid content are much better for building muscle. Also, I think it tends to be cheaper, though that may be just near me.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Check out Jarrow whey protein -- has the protein you need without all of the junk and chemicals a lot of the others add in.
  • carlyhicks34
    carlyhicks34 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Soya protein is a plant protein and much better for you. It's better on the digestive system
  • Curtez
    Curtez Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Ignore the whey in the original question. Lol @ the trolls. Plant based protein powder- the organic whatever stuff thats around 16g of protein vs the body tech stuff or whatever . Heck if i kno exact product lines theres only about 7,000 of them
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    No one's trolling you, we've just been around long enough to find amusement in the concept of plant-based whey protein. Because sadly, it wouldn't be surprising if there were people out there who believe that's a thing.

I don't know your definition of "better for you," I tend to look at protein powders in terms of grams of protein vs filler per serving size/calorie count. 16g protein really wouldn't be worth my time for a powder.
  • dserp22
    dserp22 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just eat cow
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    How about getting a product that is pure whey protein isolate?
    Or, for a vegetarian option, pure spirulina?

Spirulina is very low in Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Vitamin K, Pantothenic Acid, Magnesium and Potassium, and a very good source of Protein, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Iron, Copper and Manganese. Read More
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Curtez wrote: »
    Ignore the whey in the original question. Lol @ the trolls. Plant based protein powder- the organic whatever stuff thats around 16g of protein vs the body tech stuff or whatever . Heck if i kno exact product lines theres only about 7,000 of them

This is what I use: Growing Naturals Organic Rice Protein
    120 calories / 24 grams protein.