Weight gain - need advice!

Options
Help! I'm gaining weight despite eating the same amount of calories as usual and have gained around 7 pounds since Christmas.

A few years ago, I used to be about a stone and a half (21 lbs) overweight, but illness caused 3 stone (42 lbs) to melt off me in a matter of weeks. I'm unable to exercise as much as I'd like to/should as I suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome and endometriosis, but try to do something when I can, yet some days it's a struggle. I went out for a walk yesterday, but had to call my boyfriend to come and pick me up halfway through, as I couldn't walk another step due to exhaustion. I went to a 1 hour Pilates class once a week for a while, but even that made me ill. Walking is my preferred form of exercise when possible.

I'm currently eating around 1500 kcal a day - I'm sure if I should eat less, but I'm always hungry and feel awful if I don't eat (another lovely CFS symptom, I believe). I drink plenty of water and don't drink alcohol at all. I also try to avoid sugar, wheat, dairy (I do sometimes eat a small amount of goat's cheese for the calcium) and soy. I tried to follow the MFP recommended 1200 calories, but felt horrendous most days.

Other info:

I'm 5'2" with a small frame
126 lbs (I know this isn't massive, but I'm creeping towards overweight for my frame)
I have a sedentary desk job

The only things I've added to my diet recently are a cup of black coffee a day (I've gone from part-time to full-time work and I'm finding the early mornings very difficult...) and I've started eating rye bread, when I wasn't eating any bread products previously. I don't know if these could have had any influence on my weight gain. I don't sleep very well, which I'm sure doesn't help.

Can anyone help me? My diary is open for advice/abuse. ;)

Replies

• smelons
    smelons Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Anyone?!
  • smelons
    Options
    One last attempt... Hello?!
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are estimating calories consumed correctly? Frankly unless you have some underlying condition, it is calories in calories out....Figure out your TDEE, and subtract 500 from that...I'm guessing at 5'2 126 pounds you would be around 1250 per day.

So eat at 1250 per day while keeping your protein levels up....try to get about 90g of protein per day.

If that doesn't work and you are sure you are estimating calories correctly....see a doctor.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    If you set MFP to lose 2 lbs a week, that explains why you're struggling. 1200 is simply not enough to maintain long term. At some point, you're going to have to increase (I'm sure there will be people who say otherwise but I've tried 1200 and let me tell you, it wasn't pretty). If you do absolutely no exercise at all, you should be eating around 1650 calories a day. If you exercise, depending on the intensity, you can eat as much as 2100 and still lose weight.

Since you already suffer from medical conditions, it's really important to eat enough. Protein is so important and really helps you feel full for a long time. Eggs, lean meat, and greek yogurt are all excellent, tasty protein sources. If you have a tough time eating those particular foods, then try a protein shake. You can find really good powders that you can make a shake or bake/cook with (think baked goods. I have a friend here who puts it in muffins and pancakes).

You're already at a healthy weight for your height. I think the problems you might be facing have to do with body composition more than weight. Since you have troubles with fatigue, I would eat closer to 2100. It will give you more energy to workout more. You also don't have to necessarily workout for long periods of time to be effective. You can search YouTube for bodyweight exercises and do a 20-25 minute program a few times a week.
  • Tilran
    Options
    I got a chance to look at your diary a bit...and while only you can know for sure if you are underestimating....I have to say I saw a few things that made me think....for example last sunday you used 1 teaspoon of olive oil for the fish? Seems way too little...perhaps you did...I was not there...but I know when I cook...1 tablespoon is my minimum in a pan....

Anyway..something to think about...always better to overestimate then underestimate...but try to be as close as possible.

Also the other user who recommended you eat at 2100 calories I think may have not seen your size. at 5'2 120 pounds....unless you are a teenager or looking to put on lean muscle, you should not be doing 2100.

Again I recommend you go to a website that calculates BMR and TDEE, put in your numbers...see what your TDEE is...subtract that by 20% or 500....and use that number as a daily goal.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I have Fibromyalgia, so I understand the chronic fatigue and how hard exercise can be.

You're set to lose 2 lbs/week? that's your problem. Mine is custom and mine is set for .8 lbs/week. I eat 1400-1500 calories a day.

Calculate your TDEE and your BMR, and go from there. I somewhat did that (my TDEE -20% says I should eat 1450, so I go between 1400 & 1500).

Make sure you are getting your nutrients through food, or vitamins if you have to (I take 7 supplements a day because of my condition, doctor has taken me off two because I've done better with healthy foods and don't need them anymore!)

MFP calculates your burned calories on here TOTALLY WRONG. It said I was burning about 300-400 a day, when I was really only burning about 100. I got a FitBit to track my exercise, and I finally started losing again a 4 week plateau. Your best bet is a HRM to track how much you are really burning or BodyMedia or FitBit. I personally have the FitBit One and love it, and i've started losing weight again.
  • smelons
    Options
    I got a chance to look at your diary a bit...and while only you can know for sure if you are underestimating....I have to say I saw a few things that made me think....for example last sunday you used 1 teaspoon of olive oil for the fish? Seems way too little...perhaps you did...I was not there...but I know when I cook...1 tablespoon is my minimum in a pan....

Anyway..something to think about...always better to overestimate then underestimate...but try to be as close as possible.

Also the other user who recommended you eat at 2100 calories I think may have not seen your size. at 5'2 120 pounds....unless you are a teenager or looking to put on lean muscle, you should not be doing 2100.

Again I recommend you go to a website that calculates BMR and TDEE, put in your numbers...see what your TDEE is...subtract that by 20% or 500....and use that number as a daily goal.

Thanks for replying. I'm anal about my measuring, so weigh everything and measure out my liquids. I only used a teaspoon of oil for my salmon as it's oily and I used a non-stick pan.

Don't worry - I'm not going to eat 2100 calories a day, as tempting as it is!

My TDEE is 1820, so 20% off that is 1456, which isn't far off what I'm eating now. Perhaps I should aim for 1320, which is 500 off.
  • Tilran
    Options

Thanks for replying. I'm anal about my measuring, so weigh everything and measure out my liquids. I only used a teaspoon of oil for my salmon as it's oily and I used a non-stick pan.

Don't worry - I'm not going to eat 2100 calories a day, as tempting as it is!

My TDEE is 1820, so 20% off that is 1456, which isn't far off what I'm eating now. Perhaps I should aim for 1320, which is 500 off.

I think that is a fair decision. Keep at it and let your body adjust..remember it takes a couple of weeks to see results as your body fights change. If you stick to 1350-1400 for 2 weeks, I bet you see results.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    For your "sedentary" lifestyle...I assume you are at a desk / sitting most of the day, then at home you aren't doing much after work or on the weekends? I too have a desk job, but I am usually doing housework when I get home or yard work or other activities on the weekends. Therefore, to more accurately see what my calories should be I select the next option after sedentary. If you are always hungry, then you aren't eating enough, or you aren't eating foods that will fill you up for longer periods of time. I eat 5 meals a day, and I am almost never hungry; I am never stuffed either.

Also, if you are trying to shoot for more than 1lb per week weight loss, then that calorie difference can usually be a shock to the system, and for some people, it has negative effects trying to consume that few calories. That is one of the reasons MFP recommends 1 lb per week for weight loss. I inputted the numbers you displayed, and your maintenance calories came out to be around 1580 for sedentary, and around 1780 if you exercise 1-3 days per week. Therefore, you will need to be well below either of these numbers to be losing weight...the closer you are to those numbers, the less chance you have a of losing, and since everyone's body is different based on health conditions, being close to that number could also mean gaining weight.

From what I am seeing, I think you should check with your doctor and a nutritionist after meeting with your doctor. You may just need a customized plan that you can only achieve with some blood work and expert advice.
  • smelons
    Options
    If you set MFP to lose 2 lbs a week, that explains why you're struggling. 1200 is simply not enough to maintain long term. At some point, you're going to have to increase (I'm sure there will be people who say otherwise but I've tried 1200 and let me tell you, it wasn't pretty). If you do absolutely no exercise at all, you should be eating around 1650 calories a day. If you exercise, depending on the intensity, you can eat as much as 2100 and still lose weight.

Since you already suffer from medical conditions, it's really important to eat enough. Protein is so important and really helps you feel full for a long time. Eggs, lean meat, and greek yogurt are all excellent, tasty protein sources. If you have a tough time eating those particular foods, then try a protein shake. You can find really good powders that you can make a shake or bake/cook with (think baked goods. I have a friend here who puts it in muffins and pancakes).

You're already at a healthy weight for your height. I think the problems you might be facing have to do with body composition more than weight. Since you have troubles with fatigue, I would eat closer to 2100. It will give you more energy to workout more. You also don't have to necessarily workout for long periods of time to be effective. You can search YouTube for bodyweight exercises and do a 20-25 minute program a few times a week.

At the moment, I'm eating around 1500 calories. When I started MFP, it recommended the usual 1200, but I didn't feel good eating so few calories, so I gradually upped it to 1400, then 1500. I eat a lot of protein and try to go easy on the carbs, although recently I am eating more than usual. I definitely don't want to go higher than 2000 calories a day at my height, as I suspect I'll just pile more weight on. Unfortunately, with chronic fatigue syndrome, simply eating more won't give you the energy required to exercise as most people suffer from exercise intolerance.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Try beginner's yoga :) The stretching will help loosen your muscles and it's slow/easy for beginners (like my mom). Also, if you have access to a gym with a pool, go to a water class. They're really low impact and you can move as slowly as you want and no one cares or even notices. :)

Hope this helps!
  • smelons
    Options
    I have Fibromyalgia, so I understand the chronic fatigue and how hard exercise can be.

You're set to lose 2 lbs/week? that's your problem. Mine is custom and mine is set for .8 lbs/week. I eat 1400-1500 calories a day.

Calculate your TDEE and your BMR, and go from there. I somewhat did that (my TDEE -20% says I should eat 1450, so I go between 1400 & 1500).

Make sure you are getting your nutrients through food, or vitamins if you have to (I take 7 supplements a day because of my condition, doctor has taken me off two because I've done better with healthy foods and don't need them anymore!)

MFP calculates your burned calories on here TOTALLY WRONG. It said I was burning about 300-400 a day, when I was really only burning about 100. I got a FitBit to track my exercise, and I finally started losing again a 4 week plateau. Your best bet is a HRM to track how much you are really burning or BodyMedia or FitBit. I personally have the FitBit One and love it, and i've started losing weight again.

It was assumed by another poster that I was aiming to lose 2 lbs a week - I know that's a completely unrealistic goal! I checked and my settings actually say I'm set to lose 0 lbs a week...

I eat a lot of vegetables, so I hope I get a lot of nutrients that way. During my year of testing before I got officially diagnosed with CFS, I was told that my vitamin and mineral levels were all OK.

I've got a HRM, but haven't used it for a while, as I haven't been up to exercising much. I must dig it out and give it a go again.
  • smelons
    Options
    Try beginner's yoga :) The stretching will help loosen your muscles and it's slow/easy for beginners (like my mom). Also, if you have access to a gym with a pool, go to a water class. They're really low impact and you can move as slowly as you want and no one cares or even notices. :)

Hope this helps!

I should try something like that, although, as I mentioned, Pilates wiped me out and that wasn't exactly strenuous. I'd definitely like to try yoga though. I've got a Wii Fit, so I should try the yoga on there from the comfort of my own home.
  • 80lbsdown
    80lbsdown Posts: 3
    Options
    it's the carbs. cut out the bread and eat protien and fats and the weight will melt off.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I also have endometriosis and am 5'3". I eat 1200 calories to lose and 1400-1500 to maintain a weight of 130 -140 lbs. I also exercise for at least 2 hours a day. Unless your doctor says you shouldn't exercise I think it may be the way to getting more energy.
  • smelons
    Options
    it's the carbs. cut out the bread and eat protien and fats and the weight will melt off.

I don't usually eat the bread, but started to in the past couple of weeks. The most carby thing I usually eat is sweet potato. I bought my last loaf today though. I need to think of some portable breakfast ideas to replace it.
  • smelons
    Options
    I also have endometriosis and am 5'3". I eat 1200 calories to lose and 1400-1500 to maintain a weight of 130 -140 lbs. I also exercise for at least 2 hours a day. Unless your doctor says you shouldn't exercise I think it may be the way to getting more energy.

How do you manage on 1200 kcal when you're exercising for 2 hours a day?! I'd feel dreadful. Most my fatigue comes from the CFS, rather than the endo - I mostly have problems with endo fatigue the week before my period. I would really suffer if I tried to do 2 hours of exercise a day. I've changed my goals to 3 30 minute sessions a week, with an initial aim of burning 400 calories a week.