Recipe Serving Size Help!

Options
So I'm having a hard time figuring out how to measure one serving for a homemade recipe. Say I input a recipe for Beef Stew with 8 servings. How do I figure out what 1 serving is without measuring out the whole pot? I know you people must have some super smart, accurate, and not stupidly time consuming or messy way of doing this that I haven't thought of.

Thanks!

Replies

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I stole an idea from another poster!
    Weigh the whole dang thing (I do oz, but whatever's appropriate) then set the serving size to however many ounces there are. One serving = one ounce. Then you can just weigh out servings of however many ounces you like
  • alliesgettinghealthy
    alliesgettinghealthy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just put the cooked meal directly into the container that I'll store the leftovers, well put the container on the scale, tare it, and then weigh and calculate serving amounts. Usually I just put the servings as the amount of grams the cooked food weighs and then weigh my portion and enter the serving as the amount of grams it was.
  • itschanelle
    itschanelle Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea! Have you ever had the good weigh too much for the scale? I think mine goes to 14 pounds, but I wonder how heavy a pot of spaghetti or a big thing of stew gets.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea! Have you ever had the good weigh too much for the scale? I think mine goes to 14 pounds, but I wonder how heavy a pot of spaghetti or a big thing of stew gets.

Not yet, but I guess I'd just weigh it in parts then add up the total. I already have to do that as I have wee Tupperware!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm a little lazier. I'll use a measuring cup and portion out servings for my husband and I, then portion up the rest and total it all up.

For example last night we had a casserole, he had 3 cups, I had 2, our son had 1 cup. So that was 4 cups. I portioned the rest out in 2 cup portions and ended up with 8 portions total. The recipe was for 12 servings but I entered it as 8.

Not as exact as weighing out. But the portions were pretty much the same size.
  • DogRiverDude
    DogRiverDude Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I stole an idea from another poster!
    Weigh the whole dang thing (I do oz, but whatever's appropriate) then set the serving size to however many ounces there are. One serving = one ounce. Then you can just weigh out servings of however many ounces you like

This method works GREAT! "Grams" is my choice of mass measurement (Canadian).
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I've done both ways - where I just measure the whole thing and set the servings to the total weight (for feeding other people). Or I am obsessive enough to weigh out equally sized servings (generally if I am the only one eating or saving meals for another time)
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    For soups and stews and such, I count each ingredient as I put it in and then figure the total. Then I divide that by how many cups of water I used... usually six. I count that as one serving.

I have a ladel that hold exactly one cup, so I just log one serving for each scoop. Or you could just use a measuring cup to scoop it with.

This works out well also because most commercial mixes or recipes use one cup as the serving size.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm a nerd, so I have a chart with the weights of all my pots and pans and my colander. I weight the whole thing, subtract the container weight, and divide. If it is a recipe in a book, I will write the weight of one serving in my cookbook.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So I'm having a hard time figuring out how to measure one serving for a homemade recipe. Say I input a recipe for Beef Stew with 8 servings. How do I figure out what 1 serving is without measuring out the whole pot? I know you people must have some super smart, accurate, and not stupidly time consuming or messy way of doing this that I haven't thought of.

Thanks!

You log the ingredients - cook it - weigh the entire cooked dish and divide by the number of 100g servings

then when you log it you weigh it and take 3.5 servings for 350 grammes etc