The Clean Eating Myth

Options

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ted - why do you think your experience of having difficulty losing on the "crap" diet discounts the great weight loss that is ALSO seen in people who don't eat a "clean" diet?

I actually ate a "clean" "unprocessed" diet a few years back and lost 40-45 lbs. However, I didn't learn to handle other foods and eventually went back to my old eating habits and regained all the weight.

This time, I eat a varied diet - lots of veggies, protein, cheese, starch at breakfast and 1-2 meals, treats and eating out included. I have lost about 55 lbs. This is on 1800-2300 kcals/day as a 5'7" female. Is my diet "not working?"
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I think they'd lose weight at the same rate, but the "clean eater" may be more comfortable doing so because of the volume of food they're eating.

Why? You don't have to eat clean to eat a large volume of food. Or satiating food.

I was comparing the mention of the Twinkie diet as the "unclean" method. Maybe it's just me (I've also never had a Twinkie in my life), but If I'm eating more vegetables and meat vs the identical calorie count in chips and cookies, I feel more full off the former.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    JordisTSM wrote: »
    Calories can be viewed in the same way as money being spent in a business. If you spend $10, your bank account will decrease, regardless of what it is that you spent that money on. However, $10 of production materials will benefit the profitability of the business more than the owner taking $10 out to buy himself lunch. Bank account - Calories. Profits - Macros.

And if the $10 of production materials is more than the business is capable of utilizing then it doesn't benefit the company. Just like eating more vitamins and minerals than your body needs does not make one "even healthier."
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    I lose much more weight on a diet that includes processed foods because I will actually keep to that diet. I'm having a lot of success eating what I'm used to eating.

If I tried to eat "clean" 100% of the time I would give up completely, go back to my old way of eating, and then just keep slowly gaining weight. I think that many of the people pushing "clean" diets are perfectly happy eating that way.

If you are eating a diet that satisfies you, you are much more likely to have success with it. "Clean" eaters may actually lose more weight if they comply with their diet more consistently when they eat that way than they do otherwise.

Whatever is most comfortable for the individual is what is most likely to work long-term.

This. Find what you buy into and what enables you to eat a variety, get the macros/micros you need and the right calorie deficit, and that you most easily can follow long-term.

If that isn't true, it doesn't matter one iota if there is some small advantage to one eating plan or another. And, any advantage is frankly speculative at this point with the bulk of studies pointing to the dodo effect with diet plans. People lose the same amount, regain the same amount, and when eating ad libitum end up pretty much consuming the same macros.

Okay - eat 1500 calories of cake - and I will eat 1500 calories of pure nutritious food (as I do now but MORE) and I will flat out not only lose fat pounds but I will retain my muscle mass over the course of one year.

I did the above - it doesn't work. DOESN'T WORK.

You can't outrun a bad diet.

But, it's worked for other people who have actually documented it working. I wonder why you are different?

I was per-diabetic - on the diet I had for the course of 6 years owning the business PLUS three years post-sale of the business, I ate like crap.

I have to exercise, have to eat right. That's it. I cannot eat any other way. There's no way around it. If you want to continue to dispute it and libel me, we can let a judge decide.

Here you go MrM27
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I think they'd lose weight at the same rate, but the "clean eater" may be more comfortable doing so because of the volume of food they're eating.

Why? You don't have to eat clean to eat a large volume of food. Or satiating food.

I was comparing the mention the Twinkie diet as the "unclean" method. Maybe it's just me (I've also never had a Twinkie in my life), but If I'm eating more vegetables and meat vs the identical calorie count in chips and cookies, I feel fuller.

well there is the difference yes

i am less hungry too when i eat more meat and veggies instead 3 times my own home made pizza this week
    ( and still lost my pound for the week)

So my choice is simple i eat it all what i can afford in my calorie allowance
    But when i am hungrier on a certain day i make wiser choices and load up on salads/veggies and as much protein as i can fit in. But that is to satisfy me more.

The whole pizza i ate over a couple of days the pudding i had etc doesnt bother weight loss at all!

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Person A - because I was Person B at one time and it didn't work.

there is always one….

care to expound on that? Dare I even ask ….

Sure...

I ate like crap two years ago. Worked out like crazy. Ate whatever I wanted but stayed within 2000 calories. I was burning upwards to 1000 calories per workout - 4 days a week.

Didn't lose a pound. NOT ONE POUND. PT facility has all my results.

Then I changed. Last March, I cleaned out my diet and rebuilt it from the ground level. Ate just veggies, no starches, no sweets, no added sugars, no processed foods, just pure unadulterated food. I worked out EVEN LESS. I was eating 3 large Haas avocados a day. 10 oz of salmon. Eggs in the morning. The one thing I wouldn't eat was fruit - minus the avocado - I didn't want any sugar.

Lost 2# per week and my calorie intake was MORE. Ramped up my workouts and by the time I got to MFP, I already had lost the majority of the weight.

Anyone want to nay-say it, see you in a court of law because I have all the data - blood work, weight, PT, doctor, nutritionist - you name it. All documented evidence. 100%.

Former chocolatier here. At one point in 2012, I was 240#. I actually gained more weight after I sold the business. Lack of activity, crap dietary regimen.

Now I am 165# and I couldn't be happier with my diet. Need to see what it is, as I always say, diary is public.

Liar.

See you in court.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I was comparing the mention the Twinkie diet as the "unclean" method. Maybe it's just me (I've also never had a Twinkie in my life), but If I'm eating more vegetables and meat vs the identical calorie count in chips and cookies, I feel fuller.

I was confused because it seemed you were responding to the OP.
    I don't think anyone disputes the fact that certain foods fill you up more and keep you full longer. Personally, a McDonalds egg McMuffin, what most people would consider not clean, keeps me full longer than any other breakfast option out there and is comparable is comparable in calories to many "clean" breakfasts.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Person A - because I was Person B at one time and it didn't work.

there is always one….

care to expound on that? Dare I even ask ….

Sure...

I ate like crap two years ago. Worked out like crazy. Ate whatever I wanted but stayed within 2000 calories. I was burning upwards to 1000 calories per workout - 4 days a week.

Didn't lose a pound. NOT ONE POUND. PT facility has all my results.

Then I changed. Last March, I cleaned out my diet and rebuilt it from the ground level. Ate just veggies, no starches, no sweets, no added sugars, no processed foods, just pure unadulterated food. I worked out EVEN LESS. I was eating 3 large Haas avocados a day. 10 oz of salmon. Eggs in the morning. The one thing I wouldn't eat was fruit - minus the avocado - I didn't want any sugar.

Lost 2# per week and my calorie intake was MORE. Ramped up my workouts and by the time I got to MFP, I already had lost the majority of the weight.

Anyone want to nay-say it, see you in a court of law because I have all the data - blood work, weight, PT, doctor, nutritionist - you name it. All documented evidence. 100%.

Former chocolatier here. At one point in 2012, I was 240#. I actually gained more weight after I sold the business. Lack of activity, crap dietary regimen.

Now I am 165# and I couldn't be happier with my diet. Need to see what it is, as I always say, diary is public.

So you went from eating whatever you wanted to eating in a deficit. Doesn't matter the what, it's the how much
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I lose much more weight on a diet that includes processed foods because I will actually keep to that diet. I'm having a lot of success eating what I'm used to eating.

If I tried to eat "clean" 100% of the time I would give up completely, go back to my old way of eating, and then just keep slowly gaining weight. I think that many of the people pushing "clean" diets are perfectly happy eating that way.

If you are eating a diet that satisfies you, you are much more likely to have success with it. "Clean" eaters may actually lose more weight if they comply with their diet more consistently when they eat that way than they do otherwise.

Whatever is most comfortable for the individual is what is most likely to work long-term.

This. Find what you buy into and what enables you to eat a variety, get the macros/micros you need and the right calorie deficit, and that you most easily can follow long-term.

If that isn't true, it doesn't matter one iota if there is some small advantage to one eating plan or another. And, any advantage is frankly speculative at this point with the bulk of studies pointing to the dodo effect with diet plans. People lose the same amount, regain the same amount, and when eating ad libitum end up pretty much consuming the same macros.

Okay - eat 1500 calories of cake - and I will eat 1500 calories of pure nutritious food (as I do now but MORE) and I will flat out not only lose fat pounds but I will retain my muscle mass over the course of one year.

But, it's worked for other people who have actually documented it working. I wonder why you are different?

I was per-diabetic - on the diet I had for the course of 6 years owning the business PLUS three years post-sale of the business, I ate like crap.

I have to exercise, have to eat right. That's it. I cannot eat any other way. There's no way around it. If you want to continue to dispute it and libel me, we can let a judge decide.

So...you believe that... asking what makes you different from the people on here and in documented studies who have lost weight and improved health markers eating crap, rather than assuming that you aren't different and are lying, is...libel? Are you sure you understand the meaning of that word?
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate every day, and not the expensive dark stuff, Reese's cups and *kitten* like that. Still lose. Just because you think you have to eat 100% clean and deprive yourself of everything "dirty", doesn't mean a person can't lose weight eating the things they want. They can. I and countless others are proof that you can eat what you want and still lose weight as long as it fits into your calorie goals.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm sure that in the overall spectrum of humanity, there are special snowflake outliers for whom nutrition works differently/oddly, for whatever reason. But I do wonder at someone who is both claiming to be a special snowflake, and also states his experience is a universal fact that should apply to everyone.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

Love how the challenge is that one person should eat a 1500 calorie diet consisting entirely of cake while you eat 1500 calories of a "pure nutritious food" (i.e. varied).

Why isn't the challenge that one person eat 1500 calories of cake while you eat 1500 calories of, I dunno, celery? Bet you would feel worse.

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thats another thing the "clean" discussion
    I gained weight eating clean
    Just because i ate to much very simple

And with clean i mean totally organic own grown vegetables i made my own cheese and bread own eggs Milk from my neighbor farmer and flour from another neighbor. Meat ( pork and beef) from a breeder a little further on the road I had fruit trees and what i didn't had i swapped with other garden owners around me.

made mayonnaise and jams cakes etc
    All very very clean like people call in now. I call it grown on in my own garden

But the moment i became sedentary ( and i mean i couldn't walk at all for months and months) and i kept eating the same healthy clean food i did....i gained.

Really i know it is hard to believe but losing weight is eating less than you burn ( eating whatever)
    gaining weight is eating more than you burn

I dont want to blow anybodies bubble but it is really that simple.

(oh and you have to weigh your food on a scale and not going by cups and spoons and servings sizes. Because you still wont know how much you eat when you dont weigh your food)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    You also have to take hormonal issues in to account. Assuming all things being equal between 2 people yes, they will lose the same amount of weight. If they vary in terms of hormonal responses, then no they won't lose the same weight on a isocaloric diet.

That is not specific to "clean" or unclean though.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't being pre diabetic disqualify you from this example?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    You also have to take hormonal issues in to account. Assuming all things being equal between 2 people yes, they will lose the same amount of weight. If they vary in terms of hormonal responses, then no they won't lose the same weight on a isocaloric diet.

What does this have to do with eating clean?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that in the overall spectrum of humanity, there are special snowflake outliers for whom nutrition works differently/oddly, for whatever reason. But I do wonder at someone who is both claiming to be a special snowflake, and also states his experience is a universal fact that should apply to everyone.

hugs for pwning

(Is that still a thing? pwning? That's what the kids say, right?)