Give up alcohol with me?

Options
For lots of reasons (though mostly as I was becoming far too fond of wine) I'm trying to give up the stuff. Wine o clock for me is when I am cooking the kids tea at about 6pm and I can easily drink a bottle or night. It makes me feel crappy, means my calories are extremely limited, disturbs my sleep, is massively bad for me and has become a habit. Trouble is, I love wine!

So yesterday was my first alcohol free day for ages , I didn't struggle at all with not having a glass or 2 and what I want to do is pack in completely drinking at home. Anyone else love the drink a little too much?

Replies

• TheKeithEllis
    TheKeithEllis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, that's asking a little too much of me! :O)
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Wow, I was going to post something about why you shouldn't give up something you love but honestly I see your point. Best of luck to you. You can do it.
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I've pretty much given up drinking since taking up running as an activity, as hangover and run is a bad combination for me. I still have the occasional one (special occasions), but nothing like I used to.
  • nope31
    nope31 Posts: 174
    Options
    You may not know this, but you can go into withdrawals since you have been consuming it for so long.
    I would say if you start to experience unusual side effects consult your physician.
    Its good that you have stopped, but if you need outside support there is AA. Its anonymous.
    You don't have to do it alone.

also, your brain isn't gonna let you get away w/it that easily.
    Its used to it now, It craves it. Alcoholism is a serious and deadly disease. It takes prisoners.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    who doesn't love some wine/beer/spirits?? i mean, i used to not understand wine bottle stoppers; you open a bottle, you finish a bottle!!

but little by little i learned to hold back. if i drink while i cook i'll go through at least two glasses. and gulping them down, not enjoying them. then i can be buzzed at dinner and not enjoy that!! and like you said, the calories!!

now i enjoy a glass or two with my meal. it enhances my food, especially with pasta or steak.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I did - like you I had a bottle a night - GOOD red stuff.
    It started giving me acid re-flux and I was in denial as to the cause.
    I now occasionally drink expensive single malt whisky.
    The only way to quit wine is NOT to drink it - AT ALL
    Find something else and have it occasionally. It's tough, but alcohol can become addictive without you even knowing it.
    I am not teetotal now, but I can happily choose NOT to drink.
    Its a control thing and you have to be in control.
    If you have serious concerns, see your medic and get some Antabuse. It will make you throw up if you even sniff alcohol.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have pmd you, I am in the same boat!
  • Insathius
    Insathius Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

I gave up Alcohol about a year ago, and I never looked back!

Stay strong!
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I used to drink between half a fifth and a full bottle of whiskey a day. I didn't give it up, I only drink every couple of weeks or so. Find something to fill the void. I love doing deadlifts and squats at 5am. Can't really do either of those still drunk. Good luck! So you know, if you have a strong willpower you shouldn't have to quit completely
  • allylbrown
    allylbrown Posts: 71
    Options
    I love redwine too...Usually Friday nights for me I drink a bottle. I have given it up 4 up to 3 months last year while trying to lose weight. It seems that if I start, I will drink the entire bottle. Wine is very much part of our social life too. I am trying to train 4 my first marathon in April 2014. I would like to quit till then. Again, I understand the love of red wine. We r wine club members and so forth. I am an RN, I know I don't have a drinking problem but it becomes very social. I will try and do this with u...Good luck
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I gave it up for good almost 6 years ago. Very rarely I may still have an urge but I no longer struggle with realizing that drinking has never been in my best interest. Personally, I wish I'd never taken the 1st drink - but that's just me. It is my opinion that this choice is similar to choosing to change your lifestyle in regard to good health - meaning, you have to be ready in your mind - or you will not be successful. Anyway, good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • ladylemoncurd
    Options
    Thanks all - I'm going to use this thread to see how I do and anyone else wanting to shake Uncle Alcohol off is welcome to take a seat on the bus. - glad there are some of us trying to do the same so we can help each other maybe? I don't think I have a problem, but could absolutely see I was on the way to having one. So adios to vino, and bienvenido to elderflower cordial.
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Ah being in my 20s, the idea of no alcohol pains me!

However I know it's good ssense. No alcohol on weekdays and weekends before 7pm. Yeah I know it's easy to get mashed even then but everything in moderation. Including moderation.
  • ladylemoncurd
    Options
    It pains me too - the thought of being miserable at parties while everyone else is mashed. But then again, a crap party is a crap party with or without alcohol and at least I can drive home and wake up rather than coming round :o)
  • battyg13
    battyg13 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I have given up alcohol except for special occassions.

I think i have only drunk about 4 or 5 times this year despite the usual peer pressure from friends.

Alcohol contains a lot of empty calories which are not good for anyone.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I wish I could give up alcohol, but I enjoy my social life and gin too much. Although, I gave up pints and red wine for gin and slim, so that's one small step for man.
  • darkestdayz
    darkestdayz Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    67 days sober today. You got this~
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I only drink on special occasions.

Being alive is pretty special, right? ;)

Good luck with whatever path you choose :)
  • nope31
    nope31 Posts: 174
    Options

Awe! Congrats.
    *hands you a 60 day Chip*
  • ladylemoncurd
    Options

Awe! Congrats.
    *hands you a 60 day Chip*

And here's a bunch of flowers from me too. Well done