Celiacs & other allergies

ssb090
ssb090 Posts: 1 Member
Hi there. I was diagnosed with Celiacs 3 years ago. I have just finally gotten where eating this way is second nature. I have now been told that I have a Sulfite allergy & an intolerance to dairy. I have no idea what I should be eating and am hoping someone might have tips for this lifestyle change.

Replies

• alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    My cousin is dairy intolerant and I *think* she has celiacs. In any case, she avoids gluten completely. She makes coconut milk, almond milk, and quinoa milk. Nuts can help boost calories if that's ever a problem for you.

To be honest, I'm not sure what sulfites are or what they are in... So, take what I said with a grain of salt since I'm not so informed.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Avoiding sulfites is tricky because they are in many processed foods and some natural foods too.
    You need to see a dietitian for lists of safe foods.
    Also learn the various names for sulfites on labels: potassium bisulfite, potassium metabisulfite, sodium bisulfite, sodium metabisulfite, sodium sulfite, sodium dithionite, and sulphurous acid.
    http://allergicliving.com/2010/07/02/sulphite-allergy-cooking-up-trouble/
  • LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    I've been a vegetarian since I was 5 by choice and I just found out that I'm gluten and lactose intolerant too!! So like you I'm kind of wondering what the eff I can eat now haha
    I'm not too sure about the sulfites, but if your dairy and gluten intolerant than it should be pretty easy! The paleo diet is huge now, and it's gluten/dairy free. So if you need any recipes, look up "paleo (…)" and you'll find hundreds of recipes!
    Also, if you cut out dairy, think about the vitamins and minerals that you'll be missing and find a way to get them in your diet from elsewhere.
    Good luck (: