starting jogging

Am 41 and wanted to start a jogging routine nothing big just would like to be able to run a mile....any suggestions. I did research for sneakers got a good pair would like to start indoors at the gym not a treadmill can anyone give me any advise?

Replies

• galaxyeyed
    galaxyeyed Posts: 98 Member
    Couch to 5k is a great place to start! They start out nice and easy. If you get the app, it will tell you when to walk and run :)
  • carinagoesfit
    carinagoesfit Posts: 24 Member
    Just out of interest, why do you want to start indoors?
    For me personally, one of the best things about running is being outside, discovering parts of a city/town/area that you have not known before. A changing landscape is for me very important, otherwise it would get super boring super fast. So, I would definetley recommend you to go outdoors (at least when you already manage to run more than 3k or so)
  • pooliepuglas
    pooliepuglas Posts: 3 Member
    I would agree, Outdoors running can be a great motivator you can go to a park, or just run local to your house. If you need to stop and walk a bit do this. Eventually you will build up further than a mile. It would be good to get eventually to a solid 3 miles without stopping. I would recommend when you are starting out if going out doors (which is much more interesting) to plot out a fairly flat route. I did a section of Richmond Park the other day it was lovely. There was woodland areas and deer. Loads of people out walking, jogging and cycling to help spur you on.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Am 41 and wanted to start a jogging routine nothing big just would like to be able to run a mile....any suggestions. I did research for sneakers got a good pair would like to start indoors at the gym not a treadmill can anyone give me any advise?

How can you run indoors at the gym, but not use a treadmill?
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    aggelikik wrote: »

How can you run indoors at the gym, but not use a treadmill?

Indoor track?

• FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    C25k (Couch to 5k) is probably one of the BEST running programs for beginners available (and it's free!). Good luck!
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    edited May 2015
    Joggers are those guys that are found dead in parks by runners and/or walkers. Don't be a jogger. Run.

+1 on C25k
    +1 on getting outside