Feeling exhausted

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
I started regularly swimming in a pool a few weeks ago. This is the basic change in my exercise plan, and I aim for 3 times per week, 30 minutes each time. I started with 16 25m pool lenghts the firest couple of times, I have managed between 24 and 28 the last week, at the same time, so not super fast or long. The thing is, while I love the workout, I feel completely exhausted the next day. I am not out of shape, have been consistently exercising for years. Swimming is mainly replacing jogging in my routine, so my aerobic capacity is pretty good too. I am just wondering why I am feeling so tired. I am not trying to lose weight and have not been restricting calories or changing anything in my usual diet, so that's not it either.
It is not that I am sore, it is that I feel just tired, like e.g. I would normally feel the day after going for a several hours hike. Am I right to assume that adapting to swimming is causing this, or should I investigate further with a dr? Had extensive blood work done a month ago, and everythign was fine.

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    That does seem odd to me. I recently returned to swimming and although I feel tired after my 30 minutes, and my arms are usually a little sore the next day, I definitely don't feel worn out then. Did you normally feel this tired the day after you went jogging?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    That does seem odd to me. I recently returned to swimming and although I feel tired after my 30 minutes, and my arms are usually a little sore the next day, I definitely don't feel worn out then. Did you normally feel this tired the day after you went jogging?

No, definitely not, this is completely new.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Are you eating sufficient amounts?

I would give it a bit or maybe slow down a bit and see if theres any fitness adjustment taking place. Its likely it uses different muscles and you adapt over time, but you arent allowing for that.

The other option is you are coming down with something.
  • kstahlke
    kstahlke Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm a distance runner recovering from an injury. I took up swimming to pass the time while my stress fracture heals. I've experienced the same thing! But for me, it's not exhaustion, it's sleepiness. I've been thinking that its the pool chemicals. But I'm interested to hear what others may think.