Shoe advice

Options
Does anyone have recommendations on a really good set of shoes for an overweight guy. I'm currently about 475. I want to walk and jog but need a really good pair of shoes. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I've worn Brooks beast for a while but want to know if that's what's best. Thank you for any and all help.

Replies

• kevdawg86
    kevdawg86 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    Honestly... you don't even need shoes. There is no need for "best" in your situation. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you're kind of making excuses, I could be wrong. When I was 400lbs i got down to about 330, and i remember doing jogging with no shoes on for over an hour. My feet where bruised up for about a week, but the point I am trying to make is. You just have to get going man.

But in regards to your question, i am not really much of a runner, i used to be a wanna be runner a while back read a few books on the subject, The best advice I came across in regards to shoes is, "buy a shoe that fits, not a shoe size." your foot will expand a bit when you walk or run. I bought some new balance, those are very comfortable.

Wow........ I'm making excuses because I'm asking about shoes. I actually ran two 5ks last year. Unfortunately I got sick and fell off track. I'm looking at getting back on track and am wanting to get a good pair of shoes that will limit foot pain. I don't believe anyone should ever claim someone else is making excuses unless you've walked in their shoes. No pun intended. Yeah I'm overweight. Yeah it's embarrassing to even have to ask this question. One thing I am not doing though is making excuses to not be active.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    ignore him. good luck in the quest! probably worth seeing a podiatrist to evaluate your specific needs.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I would certainly recommend that you get a good measurement of your feet, whether that be at a podiatrist or at a shoe store.

Having the correct gear (including well-fitting shoes) is quite important to avoid injury. You can't exercise if you are hurt.
  • kevdawg86
    Options
    kevdawg86 wrote: »
    Honestly... you don't even need shoes. There is no need for "best" in your situation. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you're kind of making excuses, I could be wrong. When I was 400lbs i got down to about 330, and i remember doing jogging with no shoes on for over an hour. My feet where bruised up for about a week, but the point I am trying to make is. You just have to get going man.

But in regards to your question, i am not really much of a runner, i used to be a wanna be runner a while back read a few books on the subject, The best advice I came across in regards to shoes is, "buy a shoe that fits, not a shoe size." your foot will expand a bit when you walk or run. I bought some new balance, those are very comfortable.

Wow........ I'm making excuses because I'm asking about shoes. I actually ran two 5ks last year. Unfortunately I got sick and fell off track. I'm looking at getting back on track and am wanting to get a good pair of shoes that will limit foot pain. I don't believe anyone should ever claim someone else is making excuses unless you've walked in their shoes. No pun intended. Yeah I'm overweight. Yeah it's embarrassing to even have to ask this question. One thing I am not doing though is making excuses to not be active.

As I originally said, "It sounds to me" like you're making excuses, i also said "I could be wrong." My post wasn't meant to be offensive or derogatory. All I was trying to say, shoes are a miniscule issue. Honestly it just reminded me of this story i heard at a motivational seminar. This lady was all motivated to lose weight she said, "when i get home I am going to do a lot of research for the perfect diet, then I am going to get someone to help me struturely align, Then i am going to get a gym member ship, then i am going to buy all this new exercise clothes, I am also going to get a personal trainer, then i will lose some weight." The motivational speaker said, "Sorry lady, but you don't need all that, all you need is for someone to tell you RUNNNNNNNN"

But as I said, I like New balance shoes, make sure you get one that's comfortable.

I wouldn't consider it minuscule. I can tell you that an injury to your foot can be a forever issue. Also the feet are the primary cause of pain through out your body. If your foot is in pain or misaligned it will cause pain all the way up to your neck. The entire musculoskeletal system of your body depends on having good support at the foundation which would be your feet. Not trying to be hard on you but you can't just go around criticizing people. If you don't want to help out with an issue just simply move on. There is no reason though to criticize people for what they find important.
  • BornAgainMayTen
    BornAgainMayTen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hi kevdawg86,

As far as looking for the best, I think opposite to what pu_239 said, it is much more important for beginners/overweight people to pay attention to good footwear, since a lot more weight comes down on feet ankles and knees with every step, and the ligaments and muscles are not as strong yet as they are in an experienced runner. So of you want to shell out an extra buck or two for proper shoes, do so in the beginning of your running life.

As far as which ones are good for you, that depends on your specific needs. Go to a store that takes a camera recording of you in the act of running, they will give you free advice that fits your feet measurements, your level of running experience, your weight, and any problem you might have with putting down your foot (bending too much to either side puts a lot of stress on ankles and knees)

As far as looking for excuses goes, having a good pair of shoes might actually for a while be an incentive to go running (count on paying over 100 $ for them, so you better make sure that money wasn't spent for nothing right) but that wears off quickly. What will last longer, is less little aches and paines, so less runs that you have to skip.

Good luck with finding shoes and go go go to your next 5k
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and explain your background and how much you used to run in the past and what you plan on using them for in the future. Bring your last pair of shoes if you still have them. That's the best you can do. The best shoes are the shoes that work for you.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I've worn Brooks beast for a while but want to know if that's what's best.

There is no best as far as shoes are concerned. My preference may not be suitable for you, in fact I'd go so far as to say that my preference would almost certainly be unsuitable.

If Beasts are working for you, then stick with them. If you think they need replaced, take them in to a decent running shop and ask their advice.

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    go to your local running/walking store they can measure your feet and analyze your gait and help you get the right shoe
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    The best shoe is the one that works best for you. I ran in New Balance for years until I discovered Brooks. I tend to pick up the previous years model when I find a good fit and pick up several pairs and change them out after 6 months or so.
  • curlytoes79
    curlytoes79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love Brooks...New Balance didn't feel as good to me. Your mileage may vary, though.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

As I originally said, "It sounds to me" like you're making excuses, i also said "I could be wrong." My post wasn't meant to be offensive or derogatory. All I was trying to say, shoes are a miniscule issue. Honestly it just reminded me of this story i heard at a motivational seminar. This lady was all motivated to lose weight she said, "when i get home I am going to do a lot of research for the perfect diet, then I am going to get someone to help me struturely align, Then i am going to get a gym member ship, then i am going to buy all this new exercise clothes, I am also going to get a personal trainer, then i will lose some weight." The motivational speaker said, "Sorry lady, but you don't need all that, all you need is for someone to tell you RUNNNNNNNN"

But as I said, I like New balance shoes, make sure you get one that's comfortable.

I wouldn't consider it minuscule. I can tell you that an injury to your foot can be a forever issue. Also the feet are the primary cause of pain through out your body. If your foot is in pain or misaligned it will cause pain all the way up to your neck. The entire musculoskeletal system of your body depends on having good support at the foundation which would be your feet. Not trying to be hard on you but you can't just go around criticizing people. If you don't want to help out with an issue just simply move on. There is no reason though to criticize people for what they find important.

Just curious, do you like running that much that you want to try to run while injured? Or are you saying you're just trying to lessen the likelihood of injury with good shoes?

I personally don't like running and can tell you you don't need to run or jog to lose weight. But if you like to do it, then by all means go for it (assuming you don't have an injury).

For shoes, I always liked asics, but like I said, I don't really run.......
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    In my Learn to Run class I was advised to pay attention to how my feet and legs react. If you had Brooks beast in the past and you did not get shin splints or other signs of injury, then you are in the right shoe! I am in an anti-pronating shoe but that's me.

Also you might want to look in to inserts. Do you have a footmapping device at your local pharmacy? Or is this a Canadian thing/
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Just curious, do you like running that much that you want to try to run while injured? Or are you saying you're just trying to lessen the likelihood of injury with good shoes?

I personally don't like running and can tell you you don't need to run or jog to lose weight. But if you like to do it, then by all means go for it (assuming you don't have an injury).

This has also been in the back of my mind. There are other ways to get in a cardio workout. I think sometimes we forget what our goals are. Is the OP"s goal to walk/jog or to get down his weight?

I go for a nice stroll around the park near my house every day. I lose about 1.75lbs a week that way. I always see overweight runners and joggers that look absolutely miserable. I always think to myself "man, should I tell them they're doing it wrong?" I would never tell them anything because it's none of my damn business, but it seems to me that some people think that the only way to get lean and fit is to run a marathon.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    annekka wrote: »
    Go to a running store and explain your background and how much you used to run in the past and what you plan on using them for in the future. Bring your last pair of shoes if you still have them. That's the best you can do. The best shoes are the shoes that work for you.

This is great advice. It's what I did and I got fitted into some really excellent shoes. Good luck!
  • kevdawg86
    Options

I actually prefer not to run lol. I know in the past though I've been told that running shoes can offer a great amount of support and cushion.
  • glyphhen
    glyphhen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty obsessive about my shoes because I've got really high arches and my ankles need specific support after years of sports injuries, so this might be a bit over-the-top for some people, but filling in the data really doesn't take that long. I do this search every time I get a new pair of shoes and then read as many reviews as I can find on the models I like: http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-finder/shoe-advisor

All of the shoes I've tried so far that is has recommended have been pretty great, though I've yet to find one maker or one model that works noticeably better than the others, so I still haven't settled.
  • kevdawg86
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I'm actually in a bigger city for tonight and tomorrow (my little town doesn't have stores that measure your feet) so I'm going to make a special trip to fleet feet and the new balance store for some help.
  • kevdawg86
    Options
    I ended up getting the Brooks beast. They are the same ones I was wearing before just not two years old haha.