Weight won't come off

Options
13»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yall are missing my point. If I do that I will get aggravated and burned out and quit. It might work for yall, that's great. But I know myself enough to know that it won't work for me. It's better for myself to not do that and eat a lil more than I think than try to do if for a couple weeks and quit all together

If you don't want to weigh then that's absolutely your decision but you will have to adjust your portion sizes again if you fail to lose weight over a 2 month period

From what I read you're losing 2lb a month ..that's a 250 cal defecit a day so you're doing something right

Just keep doing it patiently and don't get freaked out by the stalls
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My sister always called me big boned, we are the same height, she's heavier than me but looks smaller because she has a petite frame, I do not. In ballet class I looked like a baby elephant next to the other girls, even tho I was just as skinny but nowhere near as petite as them. I was much taller and broader.

Sorry to hijack. But being "big boned" is something I've been called since I was a kid, and I was never even remotely overweight.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what to tell you. You complain that you aren't losing weight and want some suggestions. A bunch of people suggest that you pay more attention to your food intake. And you say that would aggravate you. I do many things in my daily life that I would prefer to not do: pick up dog poop, floss my teeth, check my bank balance, clean the toilet. . . the list goes on. But it is possible to change an attitude if it appears that doing those things will lead to greater happiness or satisfaction in some way. At least for a while, you might want to track accurately and determine if that is, indeed, the problem.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Yall are missing my point. If I do that I will get aggravated and burned out and quit. It might work for yall, that's great. But I know myself enough to know that it won't work for me. It's better for myself to not do that and eat a lil more than I think than try to do if for a couple weeks and quit all together

I find that most people don't quit because they hate weighing their food, they quit because they perceive that they are working hard and doing everything right, and not losing. Nothing more depressing than dieting and not losing. If you find that your weight loss continues to stall, then it's time to re-consider what you are doing.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It would aggravate me more if I plateaued or got stuck on my weight loss, than it would to take 2 minutes out of my day to weigh my food.

Seriously I never intended to be one of those people who weighed every thing they ate. But here I am doing just that, and it's become second nature.

Unfortunately you may not have a choice right now other than to tighten up your logging, which may mean weighing your food. It's not something you'll have to do forever if you don't want to. Just do it until you start losing weight again and have more of a grasp on portion sizes etc
    Who knows, you may end up enjoying it :smiley:
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    @carolinagirl72390 I have seen some very good, sound advise here for you. I don't disagree when others have posted the reason they feel you are not losing weight. If you don't measure your food you have no idea what your calorie intake is to know if you are really eating at a deficit. It doesn't take long to weight food. Its not time consuming at all. Pop the raw ingredients on the scales and then record the weight to accurately see what calories you are taking.

I would also suggest if you research if there are any companies that bring preprepared foods to your soon so that you don't have to guess the calories or the weight of the best ingredients because it is already done for you. I know there are companies that do such thing. A company like Bodychef (UK) or Plated (USA). They weight and deliver the food all you need to do is cook it.
    Also try low carb diet as it can be beneficial to some people who have certain medical conditions. But its your choice.
  • arachnofobia7
    arachnofobia7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    @carolinagirl72390 Yall are missing my point. If I do that I will get aggravated and burned out and quit. It might work for yall, that's great. But I know myself enough to know that it won't work for me. It's better for myself to not do that and eat a lil more than I think than try to do if for a couple weeks and quit all together [/quote]

This was me two years ago when I joined MFP and abandoned it after like 2 hours. At that time I assumed that logging food is just ridiculous, time consuming idea and instead I turned to low carb following the (misleading) mantra that as long as you stay under 50g of carbs a day you can eat as much as you like and lose weight. Well, in my case it didn't work. I didn't put on weight nor I lost anything, I was in perfect maintenance zone.

It was my friend who converted me to MFP and the idea of food logging. She also failed on ketogenic diet even though she followed it religiously for over 6 months but as soon as started counting calories the stubborn 5lbs just vanished on her.
    Anyhow, two years later I'm back here with some tricks that help me in terms of my daily planning.

- I don't eat 5 different meals a day, instead I choose something delicious that I can happily eat all day long, I log all the ingredients in and prepare the meal. Some of my dishes ( ratatouille with goat cheese for instance) are so low in calories that I can eat it as much as I like and still end the day with solid calorie deficit.
    -
    - Knowing what I like, I list my 3 meals and do my weekly shopping accordingly.

- If you think that I cook daily, you are wrong. I cook double portions that are split in half and have them every other day.

- The food I eat might sound repetitive but I focus on nutritional density to ensure that I get all the microelements along with the energy my body needs.

-. Once I've learned how our bodies work in terms of energy supply and distribution I started applying little tricks to get into the fat burning mode (not just water and glycogen). I stopped eating breakfast (I ate it for my entire life stuffing carbs for no reason) in order to extend the nightly fast period, also I do my workouts in the morning to deplet the remains of glycogen so the body can reach for the energy stored in fat.
    Around 11am I have my latte, and about 1pm I start eating whatever I prepared for the day.

- This is just a pattern that I follow, obviously there are days that I am hungry and I eat at 10am or days when I failed to prepare my meals and eat whatever is handy but within a reason, consistence is the key.

I believe that all you have to do is to set up some sort of daily routine that will allow you incorporate your weight loss PROJECT around the rest of your duties. Yes, weight loss is a long term PROJECT, it requires exactly the same sort of discipline and dedication as any other life endeavours. You have mentioned MOM - I wish I had one to cook for me! Engage her as well:)
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    The only way to know the reason your weight loss has slowed is to track your food religiously for a period...some people resort to pre packaged meals like lean cuisine or nutrisystem or Jennie Craig so there isn't any margin for error in calculating food. (I am not suggesting you go on a food program long term... Just suggesting that it is a tool if your food tracking isn't working for you or if there is a concern about errors.

Once you have the calories in thing figured out and you know 100% that you are eating at a deficit...take a look at you activity level. Start tracking how much time you spend sitting versus moving. It is a huge eye opener for many to learn how sedentry they really are. Are you intentionally taking the stairs and parking at the far end of the parking lot?

I won't argue that medications can really mess with weight loss. Definitely have this discussion with your doctor.

I've thought to suggest this for awhile and you're the only one I've ever seen actually put it out there. If you're a crappy calorie counter, try pre packages meals for awhile. At the very least it'll help you gauge what a good calorie budget for yourself is
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'4" 207 lbs and want to get to 150.

Any suggestions of anything to do or what I'm doing wrong?

1. Read the Sexypants post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

2. Set your goal no higher than 1.5 lb. per week. Every 20 lbs. or so, lower your goal by .5 lb. The smaller deficit will help you transition to maintenance: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

3. Learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately and honestly. Logging works.

4. Move more: walk, dance, take a class…

5. Be patient! Weight loss is not linear. Some weeks you do everything right but maintain—or even gain. Others you lose a whole lot in a "whoosh." Just look for a downward trend. Take measurements & progress photos, too. And celebrate every NSV (non-scale victory).
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

If you refuse to count calories, then try the following. Fill your plate the way you normally would, but instead eat only half of what's there. Throw the rest away. Forget about starving children in India, just get rid of it before you can change your mind and eat the rest. Mind you, this will result in you getting hungry and is more expensive so it's not a good solution, but if you aren't going to do it the right way it's better than nothing.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    DevilsFan1 wrote: »

If you refuse to count calories, then try the following. Fill your plate the way you normally would, but instead eat only half of what's there. Throw the rest away. Forget about starving children in India, just get rid of it before you can change your mind and eat the rest. Mind you, this will result in you getting hungry and is more expensive so it's not a good solution, but if you aren't going to do it the right way it's better than nothing.

Or how about instead of throwing the food away you just stick it in a bag in the fridge/freezer for next time (if it will keep)? Anybody who advocates wasting food in this way needs to seriously re-evaluate their entire....well, themselves in general. Plus, I'm sure your bank balance will be grateful!!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Weighing food might sound time consuming and stressful, but once you do it and get the hang of it, it really doesn't take much time at all.

I found a really good system that works well for me. I put my plate on my food scale and zero it out. I add one item, log it, zero it out, then repeat for each item. For dinner I will log it while I'm cooking and then adjust the amounts as I add it to my plate. If I'm making chicken I'll put the pan on the scale, zero it out and then put the chicken in the pan.

Personally I would rather take a minute or two out of my day and make sure that I'm being accurate than to spend weeks or months guessing and not making progress. I would find the latter to be a lot more frustrating than putting in a little bit of effort to do what I need to do to reach my goal.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    DevilsFan1 wrote: »

Or how about instead of throwing the food away you just stick it in a bag in the fridge/freezer for next time (if it will keep)? Anybody who advocates wasting food in this way needs to seriously re-evaluate their entire....well, themselves in general. Plus, I'm sure your bank balance will be grateful!!

Pretty sure I DIDN'T advocate it. I said it wasn't a good solution. The point was to eliminate the temptation to eat all of it. Putting it in a bag doesn't accomplish this.
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I will add that weighing/measuring food does seem to be key. It's kind of annoying to do, I think. But so is flossing. I do both as often as I can, though, and tell myself that sometimes I have to do things I don't like for benefits down the road.

I do something similar to a commenter above: I put my plate on a scale and zero it out. I put stuff on the plate and record the number on a scratch piece of paper. Later, when I have time, I input it.
  • tthoma5201
    tthoma5201 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Any plan you are on you will have to weigh and measure unless all you plan to do is eat clean by eliminating all sugar, bread, etc. If you want it bad enough you'll find a way. Sure it is a hassle to weigh and measure everything but my body is thanking me with progress.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Basically, your answer is to either
    1) Eat less of your guesstimated portions or
    2) Invest in a food scale and become more accurate

If you're not losing weight, you're not in a deficit. The only way to fix not losing weight is to create a deficit.