why am I getting bigger while lifting and not smaller?

Options
Hello there, I've been weight lifting for about 4 weeks now and I'm trying to lose some weight but also tone. I have noticed that my arms are getting bigger cuz my shirts fit tight around my arms. That's not a good look due to the fact that I am female lol. Is this because my muscle are swollen or am I lifting to heavy?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Right now it is just the combo of fat + water retention. Your muscles retain water to help in recovery. Keep it up and keep working on losing fat (eating in a deficit) and your arms will get shapelier and may lose size but even if they don't, they will look nice.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Are you taking measurements? Is your weight changing overall?

Muscles will swell slightly after a workout if they are sufficiently stressed - they hold additional fluid as part of the repairing process. This is only temporary.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Barbosas77 wrote: »
    That's not a good look due to the fact that I am female lol.

Whether or not it's a "good look" is personal preference.

It's probably water retention. It has nothing to do with gaining muscle. People don't gain muscle unintentionally. Lifting heavy while in a deficit will not cause you gain size.
  • ericsavage2013
    ericsavage2013 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try reducing The Weight You Are Lifting. To Tone Use Light Weight With Higher Reps (This Is Also Good Cardio) Heavy Weight Will Increase The Size Of Your Arms.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Try reducing The Weight You Are Lifting. To Tone Use Light Weight With Higher Reps (This Is Also Good Cardio) Heavy Weight Will Increase The Size Of Your Arms.

No, heavy weights will not increase the size of her arms if she's not eating in a surplus.
  • Sephixteeo
    Sephixteeo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I second retention. My legs are the most obvious place to feel it. It goes down (and up again for me) but it's pretty neat to think that good things are happening.
  • Barbosas77
    Barbosas77 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Right now it is just the combo of fat + water retention. Your muscles retain water to help in recovery. Keep it up and keep working on losing fat (eating in a deficit) and your arms will get shapelier and may lose size but even if they don't, they will look nice.

• cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

No, heavy weights will not increase the size of her arms if she's not eating in a surplus.

True true true!

• Barbosas77
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Are you taking measurements? Is your weight changing overall?

Muscles will swell slightly after a workout if they are sufficiently stressed - they hold additional fluid as part of the repairing process. This is only temporary.

• HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Keep lifting heavy, but eat at a deficit.

You may hear some BS about light weights high reps work, avoid that. That's straight out of the bodybuilders' guide to hypertrophy (muscle size increase).

Toning = +muscles - fat.
    -Build muscles in gym
    -Lose fat in kitchen (eating at deficit)

Good luck!
  • Barbosas77
    Options
    Yes I took my first measurements today cuz I didn't work arms. Last worked arms was on Tuesday. I don't know if 2nd day is not a good day to measure if its water retaining. Weight went up actually and I am eating at a deficit.
  • Barbosas77
    Options
    Barbosas77 wrote: »
    That's not a good look due to the fact that I am female lol.

Whether or not it's a "good look" is personal preference.

It's probably water retention. It has nothing to do with gaining muscle. People don't gain muscle unintentionally. Lifting heavy while in a deficit will not cause you gain size.

• Barbosas77
    Options
    Well I am petite size with curves so big arms is not a good look for me. But I will try to take some dandelion tea for water retaining.
  • Barbosas77
    Options
    sephixtio wrote: »
    I second retention. My legs are the most obvious place to feel it. It goes down (and up again for me) but it's pretty neat to think that good things are happening.

• Barbosas77
    Options
    True...I had leg day last night and my jeans didn't want to go up today lol
  • Sephixteeo
    Sephixteeo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Maybe wait a few days and then try to measure. I'm sure someone further into lifting has more informed advice. It seems like to me that after the initial pump, everything feels softer, but it might just be the changes going on.. Stick with it! I'm only a few weeks in, too.
  • Barbosas77
    Options
    Keep lifting heavy, but eat at a deficit.

You may hear some BS about light weights high reps work, avoid that. That's straight out of the bodybuilders' guide to hypertrophy (muscle size increase).

Toning = muscles - fat.
    -Build muscles in gym
    -Lose fat in kitchen (eating at deficit)

Good luck!

• Barbosas77
    Options
    Thanks