Evil Mom???

Options
I am making the grand effort to eat healthy. I went to the grocery store this week and did not buy sugar cereals, no chips, cheesy poofs, or candy. No processed meals or high sodium "healthy frozen meals"
My daughter wanted a snack last night and was gravely disappointed that there where no "snack foods". She had cereal for snack instead.
She asked my why no more cookies or cupcakes and I told her that I didn't want to eat them anymore and that if they are in the house I will.
On one hand I felt so bad for her. Why punish her because I can't control myself. But, on the other hand…I felt that she would also benefit in the long run by not eating junk foods.
I'm so torn.
I feel like such an evil mom for not having those things for my kids.
Sigh…

Replies

• bjerkins
    bjerkins Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    How old is your daughter. It sounds to me like a wonderful opportunity to make some healthy snacks with your daughter.
  • amtrust
    amtrust Posts: 178
    Options
    I did a complete overhaul in my kitchen pantries this past weekend, too. I'm waiting to hear complaints from my family. Lol! We'll see how it goes....
  • coderchris
    coderchris Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    it is tough the commercial out there appeal to our kids. there are a lot of healthy tasty snacks, veggies, fruits (strawberries with light whipped topping) yogurt, cheese sticks (low fat), mini-bagels with a little cream cheese. That is just the tip of the ice berg. You will get more creative the more you do this. Best of Luck with trying to get healthy.
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I have a 7 year old who was used to having cookies, brownies etc for dessert almost every night. I cut all that out of our home a few months ago and he is slowly getting used ot the idea of having healthy snacks. He loves apple and peanut butter or some berries and cook whip. SOmetimes we buy the 100 calorie snack packs for him so he can have cookies.
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    this could b the opportunity of a life time.

time 2 make homemade healthy snacks!!! :happy:

u're not an evil mom, u're a very good mom b/c this way ur children will also learn healthy eating habits & if they learn them young then they will more than likely KEEP these habits as an adult & will not have 2 go thru the pain u're goin thru.

u're protecting ur family when u do this. u r makin sure that u & every1 else is leadin a healthy lifestyle so that u all can live a healthier, happier life. :flowerforyou:
  • Shy1979
    Shy1979 Posts: 75
    Options
    I did the same thing when I first started on this Journey. But my husband and kids complained that there was nothing good to eat in the house. So I compromised and just started buying "healthier" foods, like baked chips and salt free nuts, turkey burgers, and lots of fruit of course. It's very hard, my kids are not overweight, more the opposite ... they are super skinny, almost borderline underweight. However, they eat A LOT, even more if it tastes good. I stopped buying sugary cereals, but then they just wouldn't eat breakfast anymore, so now we agreed on half fruit loops and half plain cherrios, and they are eating it. Overall, you are trying to teach them the right way of eating, so kudos to you ... just know you are not the only one going through this, and you make the rules in your home. You can always compromise on some things, or put a limit to how much can be eaten of a certain sugary snack.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I get it all the time - more from my HUSBAND, usually around 8 pm when he's craving a snack :noway:
    Now I keep his snacks in the basement so if he wants them, he can go get them and it's not staring me in the face everytime I open my pantry.

I have a 4 year old, and a 2.5 year old. I've bought a rubbermaid shoe box and keep their snacks in there so that I can't see them, or feel tempted by them. It works for me. Out of sight, out of mind.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying that you are doing the wrong thing BUT I would't force others to do what you're doing. You have to be the strong one and avoid temptation. Are you going to refuse to go to any restaurants with friends/family because there is food that could tempt you for the rest of your life? You sound like you're in diet mind set and when tempted down the road all someone has to do is wave a candy bar in front of you and you would eat it. Don't be in a "diet" mind set. "Diets" are temporary! Just be aware of what you're eating. That's what this site is for. Sorry if I sound too blunt, but Good Luck to you.
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    don't feel evil! you are not only going to benefit from your discipline but so will she! Besides, there are snacks out there that she can still enjoy and not even know that they are good for her! Trust me! I have a 7 y.o. and he doesn't even know that half the stuff he eats is "natural" or "organic" and get this........healthy! Just look around. There are graham cracker sticks from Back-to-nature that are WONDERFUL and plain organic yogurt, add some fruit and 2- 2 1/2 packs of splenda or stevia is fantastic...throw in a lil granola and you are full! There are other options....for you and her! Hang in there.....it's all a learning process. We learn something new everyday! Check out the recipes.....I will be trying banana icecream tonight for my youngins! :wink:
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I think this is a good chance to start discussing more heathly options for snacks. We do have some junk food in our house, but we buy granola bars etc. With childhood obesity on the rise, I would talk to your daughter and maybe make a compromise on the snacks
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    We do not have snacks in our house either (well bad ones that is) and my kids have grown accustom to it! they are actually drinking WATER now. They can have special treats when we are out, not at home.....and that is limited, but I do not deny them totally, we just dont have them daily! I think it will be better for them in the long run.

You are not an evil mom, just looking out for their future!
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I think there are plenty of healthier snack options out there. Recently I discovered that my kids really like Laughing Cow cheese on reduced fat Wheat Thins. They think it's "fun" to spread the cheese on the crackers. I see no problem in teaching them healthy habits.
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I've learned with my neices and nephews that 100 calorie packs are the shiznizzle (fo rizzle) They have all kind of 100 calorie crap now. Cupcakes, little muffins for breakfest, cookies, crackers. And you could even have one with her.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    FWIW - want to know evil? I told my 4 year old that if she keeps eating ice cream she will die.:laugh: :embarassed:
  • roadchic18
    roadchic18 Posts: 128
    Options
    You should feel good about that, not guilty. Childhood obesity is an epidemic! Why not teach our children to make good food choices now? I did the same thing with my 2 girls, and when both of them as teens were working at a grocery store they would tell me how they noticed all the bad food some people were buying for their kids and they were glad I didnt' do that. They still choose to have some junk food here and there, but they do recognize the difference between healthy food and not so healthy food.
  • indybrown
    indybrown Posts: 31
    Options
    We have HUGE snackers in our house...especially our two boys...they LOVE to eat after dinner. Not only is it killing us on the grocery bill, it's just a bad habit for them to get in to. We usually let them have a "treat" right after dinner...scoop of ice cream, cookie, popsicle, something like that. Then, they want to eat MORE an hour or two later and we've just recently told them that they can have ONE healthy treat, be it an apple, yogurt, banana or whatever it is that we happen to have on hand. I've told them that they have to start eating more at dinner and that the snacking has to stop. I am being an evil mom but oh well, so be it...
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My parents did the same thing to me, but it was more of a money issue then fitness issue. I was told if I truely wanted sweets that bad, I can bake them myself. So the only time my siblings and I were able to eat cookies was when I made them.
  • sorellabella
    sorellabella Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You are setting a good example. I just bring home more fruit, if they are craving sweets they can have a piece of fruit. I also like to on occassion bring home skinny cow ice cream. They love it.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I am so proud of you! Having healthy snacks and processed junk food are two different things. In fact I watched a truth about food episode that stated having food around and telling kids they can't have it makes them want it more! I have been thinking I need to just stop buying the junk food and provide healthy stuff...
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    There are lots of cookbooks and recepies online where you can make healthier snacks with your kids.They are learning what healthy eating is all about and they will learn how to cook and some math too. It is not about never eating a cookie again, it is about not putting nutriciously unhealthy foods in our body. My husband loves potatoe chips ( I don't think it's good for him, but he is over 21 and he can chose what he eats), furtunatly I don't, so he can have them and I eat fresh fruit with greek yogurt sweetened with honey. My grandkids love waffels or pancakes and yes they can have cereals with some sugar because they will be outside looking for worms and spiders and frogs all day, instead of sitting in front of the TV watching disney all day. They need more carbs then when they are at home, because down here they are very active. I think we need to find a balance, if you restrict them too much they will feel deprived. Rremember it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle