Please someone talk me out of grabbing a MacDonalds for dinner!?

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    I think your body is craving for the McDonalds because it may be in starvation mode. You haven't really eaten much from what you posted and that makes your body crave for certain things that may not be good for you. When your body is fed well and full, you cravings for other "bad" foods will decrease. You can get a salad from there with no dressing or go to the nearest supermarket and get some stuff to make a quick healthy meal. All the best!

There are no such things as bad foods, and starvation mode in this sense does not exist.

That's YOUR point. I'm entitled to MY own, from my experience. And as you can see, bad is in quotation marks.

You may disagree, but it's still not a flaggable statement.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    maidentl wrote: »
    jaqcan wrote: »
    PUT THE BIG MAC DOWN!!!!!
    ;)
    Have a plan next time! I keep cup o noodles and cans of chili for when I need something easy and comforting.
    Since you're sick and aren't likely to exercise any to "earn" the big mac. You'll have to go without. You will feel gross after having a big mac, fries, and a milkshake. But would having a small hamburger and an icecream cone calm the inner cravings?

I am trying to understand a) how cup o noodles or cans of chili are better than McDonalds and b) how the OP's desire for a Big Mac was inflated to a big mac, fries and a milkshake. A Big Mac is 530 calories, a hamburger and ice cream cone is 410. If I had enough calories left, I'd prefer the Big Mac.

Read the OP:
    So here i am, sick with flu, tired, hungry, fed up, n no ideas for dinner other than grabbing a MacDonalds. Im reeeeeally craving a BigMac, Fries, Milkshake, the lot!..

The chili I buy is 260 calories per cup
    Cup o noodles are 270 for the cup.
    Both are less than a Big Mac, I was giving options for things to maybe have on hand so she doesn't have to run to McD's in the future.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    ;)
    Have a plan next time! I keep cup o noodles and cans of chili for when I need something easy and comforting.
    Since you're sick and aren't likely to exercise any to "earn" the big mac. You'll have to go without. You will feel gross after having a big mac, fries, and a milkshake. But would having a small hamburger and an icecream cone calm the inner cravings?

I am trying to understand a) how cup o noodles or cans of chili are better than McDonalds and b) how the OP's desire for a Big Mac was inflated to a big mac, fries and a milkshake. A Big Mac is 530 calories, a hamburger and ice cream cone is 410. If I had enough calories left, I'd prefer the Big Mac.

Read the OP:
    So here i am, sick with flu, tired, hungry, fed up, n no ideas for dinner other than grabbing a MacDonalds. Im reeeeeally craving a BigMac, Fries, Milkshake, the lot!..

Both are less than a Big Mac, I was giving options for things to maybe have on hand so she doesn't have to run to McD's in the future.

Ah, I was just going off of this part: " If i was to give in tonight and have the blessed BigMac, what would happen the next day and the day after that if my resolve wavered?" So no, I probably wouldn't go for all of that but I still think a lone Big Mac would be OK.

• mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Big Macs don't even have that many calories. Plus they're pretty nutritious, for what it's worth.

Screen-Shot-2013-01-25-at-9.45.00-AM.png
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Why should we? You're the one that wants to eat it. You either go eat it or tell yourself not to eat it. A bunch of strangers can't make decisions for you.

I am lost. Clearly this post is not abusive or would be delete by mods(would of got delete by flag 5, It has 6 flags now). So why was this post flagged?
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Hopeless. This thread is hopeless.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Just get a Big Mac if you really want one. There is nothing wrong with having a burger every once in awhile.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    If a Big Mac fits in your calorie allowance for the day, eat it. It's 590 calories. About half your daily allotment. Is it worth it to you?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,015 Member
    ;)

Read the OP:

This. OP, surround yourself with foods you love to eat at home and work. And enjoy them. (Planning ahead is THE diet-plan-saver. Trust me.) And if you still crave McNasty McD's (sorry, Wendy's Triple Baconator gal ova here) then have it, but be smart about it. No bun and a side salad w/ a Diet Dr Pepper is what I usually end up with when the kids drag me kicking and screaming there. The little turds sometimes actually deserve the treat. And you deserve a treat now and then.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Why should we? You're the one that wants to eat it. You either go eat it or tell yourself not to eat it. A bunch of strangers can't make decisions for you.

I am lost. Clearly this post is not abusive or would be delete by mods(would of got delete by flag 5, It has 6 flags now). So why was this post flagged?

Because there are people here who break out in hives when people write bluntly.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Drop the Big Mac and head over to Carl's Jr/Hardee's (depending where you live :smile: ) and get yourself this

lowcarb.jpg

/thread :drinker:
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Ok, so i've been dieting again for the past 5 weeks, aiming for as low-carb as possible, using Primal/Paleo ideas as a loose template. So far i have lost 8lbs in total, 3lbs of which have been in the past few days since i started tracking calories properly. So i guess thats good progress, but i cant help but feel i should be losing way more seeing as i am only 'allowed' 1,200 calories max, and ive been in deficit past few days. Only eating 1200 calories or less is so limiting and im already running out of meal ideas that fit in with the very low carb theme.

So here i am, sick with flu, tired, hungry, fed up, n no ideas for dinner other than grabbing a MacDonalds. Im reeeeeally craving a BigMac, Fries, Milkshake, the lot!.. But i know nomatter how good it tastes i will feel like total cr@p straight after finishing it, and then i'll just feel even more fat and disgusting.

Ugh. I hate these days. Ive been strong so far and genuinely preferred eating healthy nutritious food, but im seriously craving the bad stuff today. I think a lot of is because yesterday i had to go out and i knew id be drinking alcohol (i know i should have stayed off the beer but i was meeting with a close friend who was very sad and they wanted a drink with me and i didnt want to come accross unhelpful, lol, so i planned for 2 cans of strong beer and stuck to that, and i had to go without my lunch and dinner to stay within my allotted calories) so i think part of these cravings are to do with messing with my blood sugars yesterday maybe? I mean its so early in my weight-loss journey to start messing up already! If i was to give in tonight and have the blessed BigMac, what would happen the next day and the day after that if my resolve wavered? Id be off the wagon before accomplishing anything. Aaarrggghhhh! My head is in turmoil. I feel so cr@p today. What do i do?

Someone pleeeease offer me some wise advice. Even if it's just "Girl, step AWAY from the BigMac!" :)

Nothing wrong with Mcds-I eat there all the time (along with lots of other fast food places). By your OP it sounds like you're already developing a unhealthy relationship with food, by boxing yourself in with pointless restrictions that have absolutely nothing to do with weight loss. You're setting yourself up for failure.

First-make sure you're running your numbers correctly (1,200 seems low-double check with a couple online calculators)

Second-eat all the foods that you enjoy, within the parameters of your calorie goals. Pay attention to serving sizes (a food scale is a great help with this). Pre-plan your food whenever possible, so you have a clear plan of action for eating.

Thirdly-weight loss is about eating at a calorie deficit. As long as you're doing that (assuming you're accurately tracking), then you will lose weight. There's no reason to make this whole thing harder than it actually is.
  • yopeeps025

So they like that sugarcoating support. I see now.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member

I laughed so hard at this! :lol:
    MFP: *some thick skin required*
  • yopeeps025

Yeah I think the real world requires way more thick skin.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Honestly, I don't know where some of these people live and work. I couldn't make it though a single hour of my life if I needed people to talk to me the way some people insist upon here.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,139 Member
    edited May 2015
    so i think part of these cravings are to do with messing with my blood sugars yesterday maybe? I mean its so early in my weight-loss journey to start messing up already! If i was to give in tonight and have the blessed BigMac, what would happen the next day and the day after that if my resolve wavered? Id be off the wagon before accomplishing anything. Aaarrggghhhh! My head is in turmoil. I feel so cr@p today. What do i do?

Don't undereat so much that you are risking your ability to comply with eating at a caloric deficit.

There is a partial debate going around: "if you lose fast, or if you lose slow, the end results are the same, so you might as well lose fast and keep the weight off longer and eat at a reduced intake for a shorter period of time" vs "you should lose slow so that you can develop new habits and learn about yourself and your relationship with food, reduce the danger of losing more lean muscle mass than you have to, be more energetic for your workouts and for your daily living, and INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF COMPLIANCE with the eating regiment you've chosen to follow"

You have 20lbs to lose. You should probably be set to 0.5lbs a week, or, at most 1lb a week. NOT the 2lbs you've chosen, which is what gives you 1,200 Cal. You should also, probably, be eating back your true net exercise calories. In practice that would be AT LEAST 50% of your exercise calories, and up to 100% of steady state cardio exercise calories.

ETA: I just saw your stats. If you are unable to exercise it sure looks like you will realistically have to limit yourself to a 1lb a week OR LOWER rate of loss. Lot's of people lose at a 0.5lb a week rate. while not ideal, anything trending down is good.

Your desire to "binge" is in large part coming from how hungry you are because of mucking around with your calories to accommodate the beers.

If you have a "standard" 200 cal snack... eat one. And then evaluate what food choices you want to make after you've put something in you.

And, if you "have" to get McDonald's screw the big mac :smiley: Get a McDouble with added leaf lettuce, tomato, and red onions. And no fries. And no milk-shake. Saves you money, saves you an extra slice of bun, and saves you a bunch of thousand island dressing big mac sauce.

You don't have to have fries and a drink every-time you eat a burger, and eating something you want (or something you modify slightly that can adequately substitute for what you want) does not have to be an excuse to go nuts and eat everything in sight.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    baconslave wrote: »
    ;)

Read the OP:

This. OP, surround yourself with foods you love to eat at home and work. And enjoy them. (Planning ahead is THE diet-plan-saver. Trust me.) And if you still crave McNasty McD's (sorry, Wendy's Triple Baconator gal ova here) then have it, but be smart about it. No bun and a side salad w/ a Diet Dr Pepper is what I usually end up with when the kids drag me kicking and screaming there. The little turds sometimes actually deserve the treat. And you deserve a treat now and then.

+1

Keep food you want to eat around, and prepare for times when you don't want to cook anything. Then you can combat any need for Mc D's if you really want to avoid it.

But really - don't beat yourself up over a single meal if you decide to go. It isn't terrible for you. Skipping meals to fit in 2 strong beers is definitely a worse idea than eating at Mc D's (but is still fine occasionally) and is probably a contributing factor to your desire for Mc D's today, along with feeling sick and wanting comfort food.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    RunTimer wrote: »
    txmmbhdjxfdx.jpg

Eww.

This turns me off of food completely, not just Mc D's. Did you have to post that at lunch time!? :wink:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member

Honestly, I don't know where some of these people live and work. I couldn't make it though a single hour of my life if I needed people to talk to me the way some people insist upon here.

Ok, I already posted above (which may have gotten lost in the other comments) that the flagged posts did not meet the criteria. Please place your order and move up to the window to pay. ;)
This discussion has been closed.