Why are personal trainers hesitant to teach you to lift?

Options
Jambalady
Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
I ordered both NROLFW and Starting Strength and have finished both with the intention of starting this week at the gym.

Since I've never worked with barbells, I set up a meeting with one of the trainers. She used to bodybuild and compete professionally. She said she was more than happy to strength train with me but flat out refused to work with any oly bars. She said that's how she got injured and if that was what I was looking for, we would not be a good fit.

Ok, happy she was honest with me, so I spoke to a second trainer. He was also excited to work on strength gains, but pushed TRX and kettlebell workouts. also didn't want to work with barbells.

I emailed a good friend who recently became a trainer. SAME EXACT response. She prefers body weight strength training, and while she did not try to discourage me, she definitely was not encouraging me and did not offer help.

What gives? Am I missing something? Is it the liability of a client getting hurt?

I don't have enough confidence to try this on my own and don't have a friend to go with who can spot.

Why are trainers so adverse to these programs?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I don't know these people or their reasons but I'd venture to say that you just haven't found the right person who has the right capabilities, knowledge or specialties. You probably want to find someone with a powerlifting and/or strongman background. Let's face it, of the people who hire a PT, how many want to specialize in BB training? 5% at most?

Maybe seek out the local meathead gym to find someone worthwhile? I don't know what kind of gym you go to but if it's a generic chain gym like a PF or a 24HR fitness or whatever, you're gonna have a harder time finding what you're looking for.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I don't know, exactly, but I'd imagine you're right about the liability.

In my city, there are a few strength and conditioning type private gyms who will do lifting lessons. Perhaps there's something like that in your area?
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    At least those trainers were honest with you. I would also suggest more of a private gym environment. From my experience the trainers at private facilities are more knowledgeable and think out of the box versus the large chain gym trainers.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I feel like fitness goes through phases of what's in vogue. Body weight exercises seem to be really in right now if you look at (at least for women) the popular online fitness ladies. "Muscles" on women is in vogue but by using body weight, kettlebells, etc...unless you squat...everyone wants a woman that squats with a bar now lol.

I also wonder if there's just a lack of education. I wanted to use the TRX for working up to chin ups and there was a giant sign at my gym (24 Hour) for a workshop on how to use it. I went and the trainer giving the workshop was asking me about my goals. Really nice guy. But when I mentioned that I was currently in a deficit to drop body fat and doing 3 days of cardio with 3 days of lifting and then was interested in gaining muscle after I reached my goal. Even showed him my strong curves book so he could see exactly what I was doing. He went on to talk about how I could go ahead and start working to gain muscle while I was losing fat. So I guess certified doesn't necessarily mean fully education?

And the reason I showed him the book (have it on my phone kindle app) was because I was mentioning the different lifts I was doing and he was familiar with some of it so I showed him the pictures. I really didn't think there was anything fancy to the workout lol.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I feel like fitness goes through phases of what's in vogue. Body weight exercises seem to be really in right now if you look at (at least for women) the popular online fitness ladies. "Muscles" on women is in vogue but by using body weight, kettlebells, etc...unless you squat...everyone wants a woman that squats with a bar now lol.

I also wonder if there's just a lack of education. I wanted to use the TRX for working up to chin ups and there was a giant sign at my gym (24 Hour) for a workshop on how to use it. I went and the trainer giving the workshop was asking me about my goals. Really nice guy. But when I mentioned that I was currently in a deficit to drop body fat and doing 3 days of cardio with 3 days of lifting and then was interested in gaining muscle after I reached my goal. Even showed him my strong curves book so he could see exactly what I was doing. He went on to talk about how I could go ahead and start working to gain muscle while I was losing fat. So I guess certified doesn't necessarily mean fully education?

And the reason I showed him the book (have it on my phone kindle app) was because I was mentioning the different lifts I was doing and he was familiar with some of it so I showed him the pictures. I really didn't think there was anything fancy to the workout lol.
  • JoReddBowe
    JoReddBowe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    No idea. I use the bar and weights for squats, dead lifts, Romanian dead lifts, and calves. Form is harder on free weights than machines, but I also think they work additional muscles to balance.
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    My pt is happy to but I go to a competitive body builders gym as bizarrely feel more comfortable walking into a gym full of men than women.
    You are paying for their service find someone who works for you.xx
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Its just the latest fad.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    what kind of gym are you going to? every single one of the trainers at my gym trains with free weights.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    hollyhom wrote: »
    I ordered both NROLFW and Starting Strength and have finished both with the intention of starting this week at the gym.

Since I've never worked with barbells, I set up a meeting with one of the trainers. She used to bodybuild and compete professionally. She said she was more than happy to strength train with me but flat out refused to work with any oly bars. She said that's how she got injured and if that was what I was looking for, we would not be a good fit.

Ok, happy she was honest with me, so I spoke to a second trainer. He was also excited to work on strength gains, but pushed TRX and kettlebell workouts. also didn't want to work with barbells.

I emailed a good friend who recently became a trainer. SAME EXACT response. She prefers body weight strength training, and while she did not try to discourage me, she definitely was not encouraging me and did not offer help.

What gives? Am I missing something? Is it the liability of a client getting hurt?

I don't have enough confidence to try this on my own and don't have a friend to go with who can spot.

Trainer 1 told you why, she hurt herself and stays away from it herself.

Trainer 2 doesn't do that, he does TRX and Kettlebell.

Trainer 3 doesn't do that, she does body weight strength stuff.

Here are some reasons I've heard for avoiding heavy lifting ("heavy" meaning 100+ lbs on the bar):
    - Lifting too much weight at once isn't ideal for people who are 1) over a certain age and 2) who've been sedentary their whole lives. Too much strain on already degrading connective tissues. Too much risk for not enough reward.
    - Hernias
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Shop around more, my trainer loved having me lift. You've got to research and find one that is knowledgeable and comfortable enough to teach and guide you. My trainer is stacked, in his 60s, and has a big, grey handlebar moustache! The point is, don't go for a cross fit bred, fad following, just out of college trainer :) find one that has spent some time doing it themselves.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Every trainer in the gym i go to will teach you bar bell lifts and dumb berm lifts you just have to pay their free
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »

That's not really the worst advice in the world.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

Here are some reasons I've heard for avoiding heavy lifting ("heavy" meaning 100+ lbs on the bar):
    - Lifting too much weight at once isn't ideal for people who are 1) over a certain age and 2) who've been sedentary their whole lives. Too much strain on already degrading connective tissues. Too much risk for not enough reward.
    - Hernias

Again, not the worst advice in the world. I wouldn't start training a noob straightaway on the oly. There are reasons why a trainer would be hesitant. My guess is there's a lot of people that walk in with a book or magazine and say, "I want to do/look like that." Most of them would benefit from a hardcore TRX/Calisthenics workout.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

A better question - why do you want to use a 7 foot long barbell so badly? I can't imagine anything you lift outside the gym being that long.

• mnwiersema
    mnwiersema Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you want to lift, keep shopping around for someone to teach you. I hired a trainer who is an oly lifter. Best money i ever spent. He taught me two of the big three, and my best friend taught meto bench. Empowering in the strength I've gained, empowering because I am a woman lifter!

People/trainers don't want to teach it because it isn't encouraged outside of sports, especially for women.

Movement need not always be functional. So you're not lifting anything in a 7ft bar in real life. You want to in the gym and it is in your goal set so go do it :wink:
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Did they do any sort of evaluation on your movement patterns? Did they say they would never work with you on a barbell or not right now? A good trainer will check the trainee's movement patterns. Maybe the person has issues that would make barbell training dangerous and it would be better to start with bodyweight or another form of resistance and progress.
  • DMLC2014
    DMLC2014 Posts: 71 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    That is so strange. I go to my local YMCA and we can do anything. If I don't know how to do something I ask--or ask them if if I'm doing the proper form. I like doing everything except running. I love boot camp, core classes, body weight workouts, biking and weightlifting. If they won't teach you something it really isn't worth going!
  • Jambalady
    Options
    gotolam wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »

- Hernias

Again, not the worst advice in the world. I wouldn't start training a noob straightaway on the oly. There are reasons why a trainer would be hesitant. My guess is there's a lot of people that walk in with a book or magazine and say, "I want to do/look like that." Most of them would benefit from a hardcore TRX/Calisthenics workout.

I never said I wanted to go straight to
  • Jambalady
    Options
    I never said I wanted to go straight to lifting 100+ lbs on an oly bar and I wouldn't consider myself a total noob. I do Trx regularly as well as boot camp/cardio sculpt classes. I just wanted to try something different bc lifting heavy seems to have gotten results for a ton of people here. I was just surprised that so many trainers would be hesitant to show me how to squat or deadlift with more than a 20lb kettle bell which I can easily do. I just figured all trainers would at least be willing to show a paying client the basics of good form and how to use equipment.

I'm honestly surprised how hard it is to find a trainer who will.

I belong to a corporate gym, lots of business folks on their lunch breaks but also a good contingent of young muscle heads.