recipe ideas

I've recently startes dieting again after a few years of not worrying about my weight. My struggle I think is probably eating the right foods and portion control.

If anyone has any simple recipes they're willing to share I'd be grateful. I work evenings and don't often cook when I get home about 9/10pm, instead just snack on junk before heading to bed therefore waking up stupidly hungry and eating more than I should from the word go.

I really want to succeed this time, fresh fruit smoothies and cereal for breakfast. A reasonable lunch and a smaller evening meal allowing a few low fat and low calorie snacks.

I'd love any recipes or tips people are finding successful.

Replies

• kshort1988
    kshort1988 Posts: 2 Member
    I find that the only way I stay on track is to meal prep. I always have cooked chicken, fresh veggies, sweet potato, and brown rice pre-cooked that way when I am in a bind, I have no excuse but to eat what is already ready.
    Consuming a lot of calories before bed will do more harm then good, but I do agree with the idea of going to be hungry either. If you're hungry in the late evening why not prepare a egg white and veggie omelet (hold the cheese). The egg whites provide protein and are low in calories and you have an intake of some fresh veggies. Also, if you want more of just a snack, why not try an apple and some natural nut butter or celery and nut butter; you get the nutrition from the fruit/vegetable and some protein from the nut butter.
    Protein is what will really help to keep you full - try adding more to your daily diet with chicken breast, lean steak, ground turkey or chicken.
    Hope this helps! Good luck! :smile:
  • stephiiee_g
    stephiiee_g Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you, I'll definitely keep this in mind! It's never really crossed my mind to precook anything in advance, definitely gonna be something to look into.

Bulk cooking and freezing is another idea I might try too, then I know I can have a home cooked meal instead of being tempted with a ready meal or even worse, take away!
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    edited May 2015
    Buy you a small crockpot. You can throw some chicken with whatever like salsa for tacos, bbq sauce, etc for dinner. Stir frys are quick and easy. You can even buy the pre-cooked brown rice cups to toss it over. Omelets are easy breezy. But I found if I'm cooking something like on the weekends, it just as easy to throw extras in for the next week. I cooked chicken breasts Monday night for this week. Trick is to season simple so you can transform to different meals. You can have chicken in salad. Slice and use in wraps. Add bbq sauce and some steamed veggies. Grilled chicken sandwich, chicken tacos, etc.

If you buy lean ground beef, you can make a hamburger, brown some for spaghetti, tacos, etc.

I found that the best way to save time is to take leftovers and transform them into a new meal. Saves money and time. One time I had taco meat in my fridge leftover and I had bell peppers I needed to cook. So, I mixed the taco meat with kernal corn, a cup of pre-cooked brown rice, cheese, taco sauce and stuffed the peppers. Topped with cheese. Mexican stuffed peppers.

Use your imagination. Good luck!

Oops I forgot a couple easy ones. Pita bread pizzas. Top whole wheat pita with whatever pop in oven and you have a meal. Chicken and turkey smoked sausage are a couple of my favorite meats for this. I also like to top with refried beans, diced chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa and sour cream for mexican pizza. Flat breads make a good pizza.

And don't forget easy ones like tuna. It has lots of versatility.