HELP! I don't know what I am doing wrong!

Options
Hey everyone! I need some serious help because I'm two fat attacks away from crying!

Background: When I was 16 I went from 200lbs to105lbs doing some not so healthy habits. I continued those habits into my early 20s until I matured and fell in love with someone who never looked at me for my weight. In 2013 right after hurricane sandy hit and all of NY was a mess, I took a job in NYC that was about a 2 hour commute from my Long Island home. The stress totally put me over the edge. I was working for the website Yelp and food was EVERYWHERE! In the first 3 months I went from 120lbs to 160lbs in what felt like was overnight. I quit my job due to the stress and took an amazing position that unfortunately involves me sitting 90% of the day. I gained another 20lbs since 2014 and although everyone claims that they don't even realize, I feel like the big fat white elephant in the room. I use to be this cute little thing and now I'm pretty damn fluffy.

Recent: In the beginning of this year I did a complete turn around. Told myself I would get out of this self body shamming rut I've put myself in and make some changes. I tried my best to eliminate the junk food and slowly started to make a complete lifestyle change. About 3 months ago I totally changed my diet to eating about 95% of the time natural "clean" foods. I say I'm consuming about 1,200-1,400 calories a day of healthy pure good food. I measure everything! I do admit I don't use Myfitnesspal that often. I usually use it to see the calories of food options I'm not familiar with. For the last 2 months I have been eating a meal plan from Beach Body 21 Day Fix. I use their containers to measure out perfect sizes but I also weigh proteins to make sure it's compatible to what I was doing with Myfitnesspal. I have also been taking Pure Barre, this ballet style work out 2-3 times a week. After these last few months I still haven't lost a damn pound! I'm heartbroken. I'm confused. I'm lost. Did I ruin my body with years of dieting abuse?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try using the tools on this website to determine how many calories you're actually eating.

Studies have shown that many people are terrible at estimating or guessing how many calories they eat. Before you conclude that you've ruined your body, why not give MFP a try?

• sgirl2009
    sgirl2009 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your unhealthy habits from before ruined your metabolism. Just be patient, keep doing what your doing, and your metabolism should get faster.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    No, you did not ruin your body! I think you are trying to combine too many plans. Try using MFP to log and count calories. It is eye opening to see how much you are actually eating vs what you need to eat for weight loss.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    How much is your deficit?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    No your just taking in the amount of calories you are using. Start logging everything and you will lose! :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if that were me, I'd consult a doctor.

Get checked for hormonal or metabolic disorders, and ask for a referral to a dietician. It sounds like you need some professional guideance to get you headed down the right path.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing but you're not gaining you're eating at maintenance. So now you just need to eat a little less.
  • JrWino
    JrWino Posts: 8 Member
    Options

@GreenIceFloes I only know what I burn in Pure Barre and it's about 300-500 per class. I try to get there 3 or so times a week.
  • kraft_kris
    kraft_kris Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    what is a fat attack?
  • JrWino
    Options
    Honestly, if that were me, I'd consult a doctor.

Get checked for hormonal or metabolic disorders, and ask for a referral to a dietician. It sounds like you need some professional guideance to get you headed down the right path.

@Need2Exerc1se I should have added that! I have seen a doctor. 100% healthy.

• maril101
    maril101 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you will get a lot of advice but I will start with this. Weigh and measure everything you put in your mouth for a while and enter it religiously in your food diary. If you aren't entering everything, you might be amazed at the extra food can slip in without you being aware. Diet alone is not enough, however. I know that you already know this but it's like a milk stool with three legs. Nutrition + cardio + strength training. As to how you do it, there are so many opinions and options it's crazy. Our bodies are amazing. I did what you did times about 15 times and to an age where I was sure I was beyond hope. As long as there is breath in your body, your body will love you for making positive changes and will respond. I wish you the best - there really isn't a magic cure - keeping the food diary, making and keeping a fitness plan - that's where to start and I am sure you will get lots of advice from many people. In the end, make up your own mind about what makes sense for you and what doesn't.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It is highly unlikely that you have a slow metabolism. It is much more likely that you are eating more than you realize.
  • GreenIceFloes
    edited May 2015
    Options
    sgirl2009 wrote: »
    It sounds like your unhealthy habits from before ruined your metabolism. Just be patient, keep doing what your doing, and your metabolism should get faster.

I highly doubt her metabolism is ruined. I rapidly lost massive amounts of weight as a teenager in a not-so-healthy way (which I of course regained), but my metabolism is perfectly fine.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Putting food in a preset container does not tell you how many calories are there. Weighing proteins is a good start - and means you have the ability to weigh everything. Without changing what/how much you're eating - start weighing it all in order to find out how many calories you ARE consuming. It will be more than what you think you're consuming.

Beyond that, if you have a desk job, look for ways to incorporate activity into your day. Does not have to be all at once. Moving more = burning more, even if in little increments that you don't need to track.
  • GreenIceFloes
    Options

@GreenIceFloes I only know what I burn in Pure Barre and it's about 300-500 per class. I try to get there 3 or so times a week.

You should start counting your calories. It's very easy to under-/overestimate our intake otherwise. Your metabolism/body is not ruined, you're just not eating at a deficit. Use MFP's tools and eat accordingly.
  • JrWino
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I do track everything I intake but I found the Beach Body 21 day fix measuring cups to be the only thing I've stuck with for this long. I know I should probably just get a good ol fashion scale and measuring spoons! Who knows how accurate the beach body is!

I'm always confused on how many calories, fats, carbs and proteins I should be consuming. Some say no carbs some say low carbs... so confusing!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I do track everything I intake but I found the Beach Body 21 day fix measuring cups to be the only thing I've stuck with for this long. I know I should probably just get a good ol fashion scale and measuring spoons! Who knows how accurate the beach body is!

I'm always confused on how many calories, fats, carbs and proteins I should be consuming. Some say no carbs some say low carbs... so confusing!

How many carbs you should consume varies by personal preference, health (if you have any metabolic issues like insulin resistance or diabetes), and fitness goals. .
  • GreenIceFloes
    edited May 2015
    Options

No method is as accurate as a scale for measuring solid food, so you should really invest in one.

Check this out:

https://youtu.be/TGcdyfDM3oQ.

Carbs are important. Unless you have medical reasons to avoid carbs, don't. Try sticking to the default macros MFP sets for you to begin with, although IMO it's overly generous with carbs and not enough so with protein, so you could probably play around with that if you like.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Eat in a caloric deficit and you'll lose weight, it's that simple.
  • norie92
    norie92 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    As long as you're tracking honestly and using a food scale the weight should come off.
    Make sure you don't overdo the calorie deficit 1200-1400 cals w/ exercise sounds like it may be overdoing it, but I have no idea how rigorous or how long your workout is.

A few tips:
    - Watch your sodium, water retention can kill any number on the scale
    - Weigh yourself at the same time every morning after you've used the restroom and before you've eaten anything
    - Use the same scale, sometimes the vary slightly