Pulled pork

Options
Savage_Angel
Savage_Angel Posts: 12 Member
It's super yummy and really easy. I know it's not really low cal, but it's easy and awesome and if you eat a salad first you won't want to eat as much of the pulled pork.

Crockpot Pulled Pork
Pork roast
1 C light brown sugar
2 C salsa
Simmer all day for best results.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    no barbecue sauce?????
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Yeah OP thats an interesting combo. Do you serve it on sandwiches? In tacos?

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Mmmm mexican style pulled pork. That would be great in tortilla wraps.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I guess living in the south, I am used to the southern version …

I am sure OP's version is good...
  • WinoGelato
    Options

With the sugar though? I make a salsa verde pork in the crockpot with lots of garlic, cumin, cayenne, lime juice, and then a jar of salsa verde... I use that for burrito bowls or wraps, I just can't imagine the sugar and salsa together. Might be great, I like sweet and spicy combos.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

With the sugar though? I make a salsa verde pork in the crockpot with lots of garlic, cumin, cayenne, lime juice, and then a jar of salsa verde... I use that for burrito bowls or wraps, I just can't imagine the sugar and salsa together. Might be great, I like sweet and spicy combos.

Yeah, the sugar is a bit weird, I've done slow cooker chicken with the salsa and it certainly didn't need sugar. Bu I guess it would make it kind of glazey?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Yeah, the sugar is a bit weird, I've done slow cooker chicken with the salsa and it certainly didn't need sugar. Bu I guess it would make it kind of glazey?

Chicken breasts + jar of salsa on low all day is one of my favorite things (minus all the damn sodium, ugh, stupid tasty salsa being a sodium bomb!) and I will eat it with a fork straight out of the crockpot. :laugh:
  • Alatariel75
    Options

Chicken breasts + jar of salsa on low all day is one of my favorite things (minus all the damn sodium, ugh, stupid tasty salsa being a sodium bomb!) and I will eat it with a fork straight out of the crockpot. :laugh:

Yup, it's a staple here!! Cheap, easy, so tasty.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    I have a huge batch of this in my fridge right now! One of my favorite things to do is to use some the first day I make it for burrito bowls, take some out chicken for leftovers/freezing, and then with the rest, make tortilla soup right in the same crock for the next day. I add a quart of chicken broth, can of corn, can of black beans, can of rotel, some extra spices and cubed velveeta. Put the crock in the fridge and next day just turn it back on and have tortilla soup for dinner. 2 days of meals and I haven't even had to clean the crockpot yet!
  • Alatariel75
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Oh that sounds awesome!! I'm so trying that. I wonder what I can substitute the velveeta for, we can't get it here...

ETA: Just found a recipe for homemade velveeta - I'm intrigued and disturbed. http://www.browneyedbaker.com/diy-homemade-velveeta-cheese-recipe/
  • ndj1979
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I think the brown sugar gives it a nice glaze, but that is usually in conjunction with barbecue sauce…..

One cup sounds a little much ….

although, some people do prefer "dry barbecue" where they cook it and then add the sauces later …I believe that is North Carolina style???
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I think the brown sugar gives it a nice glaze, but that is usually in conjunction with barbecue sauce…..

although, some people do prefer "dry barbecue" where they cook it and then add the sauces later …I believe that is North Carolina style???

my aunt (Iowa) taught me to make pulled pork and you don't use BBQ sauce, but add it later if you want it. It's tasty, but I admit I like the Southern version better.
  • ndj1979
    Options

my aunt (Iowa) taught me to make pulled pork and you don't use BBQ sauce, but add it later if you want it. It's tasty, but I admit I like the Southern version better.

yea, that is dry style.

Did she use a little vinegar when she made it?
  • Alatariel75
    Options

yea, that is dry style.

Yup! and a dry spice rub, and brown sugar, and some orange juice.
  • ndj1979
    Options

yea, that is dry style.

yup, definitely dry style…

I like both styles ..but prefer barbecue sauce mixed in prior to cooking….
  • Alatariel75
    Options

yea, that is dry style.

yup, definitely dry style…

I like both styles ..but prefer barbecue sauce mixed in prior to cooking….

Same, I like it saucy! :D
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Ok now we are into a different topic, BBQ pulled pork. I'm from KC and lived in Tennessee so I have eaten my fair share of good BBQ. I actually like to make mine in the crockpot with a good BBQ spice rub that you can buy ready made, and then some liquid smoke, brown sugar, and a little bit of either Apple juice or a dark cola (coke or dr pepper). Cook all day, then shred, then add the sauce before serving. You can mix the sauce in if you like but I prefer mine on top. We are getting a smoker this summer and I'm so excited to make it for real...

I repurpose those leftovers into pulled pork quesadillas...
  • Evenstranger
    Evenstranger Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite pulled pork recipe -

In the third installment of the El Mariachi trilogy, Once Upon a Time In Mexico, Johnny Depp's character orders a pork dish, puerco pibil, in every restaurant he visits. Director Robert Rodriguez included a rough version of the recipe on the DVD. I have written it down and made a few modifications.

Puerco Pibil

Marinade

5 T annato seeds (I couldn't find annato, so I used a 3.5 oz box of Achiote Red Paste by El Yucateco)
    2 t cumin seeds
    1 T ground pepper
    8 allspice
    1/2 t cloves
    2 T salt
    1/2 c orange juice
    1/2 c white vinegar (cider vinegar is good too)
    2 habanero peppers, seeded and deveined (or leave the seeds and veins in if you want it hotter)
    8 cloves of garlic
    juice of 5 lemons (about 3/4 - 1 c)
    a splash of good tequila (1-3 oz)

While the video shows grinding the spices with a mortar and pestle, I find that it's much simpler to put all the above ingredients in the blender whole and just run it until smooth (i.e., it stops 'snap, crackle and popping).

Five pounds of pork butt (without the bone), cut into 2" cubes. (Your butcher will do this for you if you ask nicely.)

Pour the marinade over the pork and let sit for an hour or two.

As for cooking, there are a couple of methods. The video called for wrapping the pork in banana leaves and roasting in the oven. I tried it and although it added a little flavor, not enough to deal with the hassle of cleanup afterward. For me, I'll either place in a large covered pot/dutch oven, or I'll drop the whole shebang in my crock pot. If you do it in the oven, set it for 325 for about four hours. Crock pot, I use high for an hour or so, low for five to six hours. When done, the meat will fall apart completely, and can be shredded with minimal effort. Serve with tortillas, rice, maybe some black beans or pintos.

Enjoy!
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Oh that sounds awesome!! I'm so trying that. I wonder what I can substitute the velveeta for, we can't get it here...

ETA: Just found a recipe for homemade velveeta - I'm intrigued and disturbed. http://www.browneyedbaker.com/diy-homemade-velveeta-cheese-recipe/

Phew I was scared to click that link, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...

You don't have to use Velveeta in the soup, or even cheese at all, I just think it gives it a creamy texture. Definitely not authentic... You could just top it with Monterey Jack cheese or even cheddar.