Please remind me

Options
... that the scale doesn't always reflect what the week's behavior has been. I've been really vigilant about calories, cardio, and strength training this week, but five days after my last weigh-in, I am showing a 1.4-point gain. I know logically that it is okay and my numbers will catch up but it's hard not to feel discouraged. Just needing a bit of encouragement! Thanks.

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Sore muscles? TOM coming? Have you pooped? Wearing the same thing/weighing at the same time?

All of these things can show an increase on the scale. Something as little as a salty meal the day before can cause a gain on the scale.

Did you take measurements before? When I don't like what the scale says, I take my measurements to give me some good news! The measuring tape doesn't lie. The scale does! haha

Great job on the workouts though!!
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    It doesnt, not at all. I've worked my butt off some weeks and still end up with a gain of 1-2 lbs. It doesnt happen too often though so I dont sweat it.
  • Lisette32
    Lisette32 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Remember you may be gaining muscle doesn't necessary mean you are gaining the weight! So no worries or could be you could be retaining water that time of the month may be coming. If you are doing weights bulk I would say gaining muscle.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    For women especially, the scale can more closely follow a monthly cycle. Hang in there. Know that what you are doing is making you more healthy. Period. (No pun intended.)
  • tphil58
    tphil58 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    From what I understand you can't gain "actual weight" without eating more calories than burned at a rate of 3500 calories per pound. My guess is that it is water weight. Might you be a bit high in sodium intake or low in potassium? Also, time of day, week or month can effect water retention. It sounds like you are doing things right so my advice is to just keep plugging along and I bet you find it falls off quickly. I had the same thing happen about two weeks ago. A mini-plateau so to speak with a 2 pound gain and I can assure you I didn't eat 7000 extra calories. Now two weeks later, that 2 pounds and 2 more are gone by the wayside. Just keep on keeping on! You can do this!
  • ShellK71
    ShellK71 Posts: 33
    Options
    I'd go by how your clothes are fitting rather than actually numbers. Weight fluctuates. Muscles, water weight, didn't weight your self at the same time. Through out the day it even changes. I showed a 2.8 pound difference last night before bed than this morning.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    It happens. Since I started lifting the scale has become my enemy. Lifting makes your muscles retain water so my scale is always up and down and yes, it is frustrating even though in the back of my mind I know I haven't truly gained weight. Try to put the scale away and concentrate on your measurements. If you haven't been eating more then don't worry about what the scale says. There are many factors as others have said....TOM, too much salt, higher workout intensity etc. Stay the course, weigh yourself at the same time each week with the same clothes or without. It does equal out.