Hot humid weather = more calories burned?

Options
13»

Replies

• annie52211
    Options
    I wish that this was true cause I would loose weight that much faster. My boyfriend is of the opinion that when you sweat more that you loose more. I had to show him that that is simply not the case. The more that you sweat the more water you loose from your body as it tries to cool itself. You need to remember to stay hydrated in order to prevent dehydration.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Then why all the hype with bikram yoga?

Exactly. It is my observation that people in warmer climate countries tend to be slimmer than their counter parts in colder climate countries.
    You might want to observe more. 13 of the top 15 countries for obesity ranking are equatorially located with hotter climates. 14 if you count the US as a country with a hotter climate, which is true for much of the country. Also, as far as the US goes, the Southern And Southwestern states, with the hottest climates, tend to dominate the obesity rankings for the US.

Reality is pretty much the exact opposite of your "observations."
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    no
  • darvishzadeh
    Options
    you're right.

you can exercise in dry and cold environment and no sweat at all, that doesn't mean you didn't burn calories.

I lived 1 year in Tehran which has a dry weather, doing my normal activities and losing weight already (because I don't like sticky feeling, so I was more active), but my hometown and the city i'm living now (Kuala Lumpur) are both humid and gained weight much faster in KL.
  • Valencia123456
    Valencia123456 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    YES! Same intensity+ same impact+ a same time frame but at a higher temperature does burn more calories.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/373028-does-exercising-in-hot-temperatures-burn-more-fat/

The reason people are bigger in warmer climates is because they tend to work out less, because they are hot. If they worked out at the same rate they would be slimmer!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    YES! Same intensity+ same impact+ a same time frame but at a higher temperature does burn more calories.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/373028-does-exercising-in-hot-temperatures-burn-more-fat/

The reason people are bigger in warmer climates is because they tend to work out less, because they are hot. If they worked out at the same rate they would be slimmer!

What a surprise-- a Livestrong article in which the author misrepresents research results in order to advance an ideological agenda.

The 2002 study cited in the article looked at the effects of COLDER temperatures, not the effects of hot temperature. The max workout temp in that study was 20 C or 68F. That is not "hot" by any definition.

So study showed there was only a fat oxidation difference when cycling at 14 deg F and 32 deg F compared to 68 deg F.

Typical Livestrong fail.