Is more frequent illness an inevitable part of a calorie deficit?

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice!

I've been eating/exercising to a calorie deficit for a couple of months now, and have noticed that I'm getting minor illnesses (sore throats, colds etc) far more frequently than before. Is this something that other people experience? Do people think it's related more to the calorie deficit, exhaustion from exercise, or maybe a lack of necessary/adequate nutrients (vitamins etc)? I eat barely any fruit now (due to high sugar levels) and am always craving it and thought that might be something to do with it?

Thanks a lot!

Replies

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    I'm healthier now I'm losing weight than I was before. Then again I make sure I get plenty of vitamins etc from my food. If you're finding you are a little run down it may help to look at what you're eating. There is nothing at all wrong with eating fruit in moderation.
  • hmck123
    hmck123 Posts: 23 Member
    Thanks! I have a banana a day and if I eat any more fruit than that I tend to go over my sugar limit, but I think I should probably listen to my body and give it what it wants because it's clearly not good!
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    I ate 1200 calories for about 2 years and didn't find myself getting ill any more often, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a common side effect for some people. I also eat a lot of fruit, however.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    All I can say is eat your FRUIT and veggies. The nutrients you get from fruit far outweigh the sugar content... plus they're packed with vitC
    I go over mfp's sugar goal everyday, mostly because of fruit and dairy. I really don't care :smiley: I don't even track sugar, I swapped it for fibre.

It makes me sad when I hear people giving up fruit because of the sugar or carb content :disappointed:
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    All I can say is eat your FRUIT and veggies. The nutrients you get from fruit far outweigh the sugar content... plus they're packed with vitC
    I go over mfp's sugar goal everyday, mostly because of fruit and dairy. I really don't care :smiley: I don't even track sugar, I swapped it for fibre.

It makes me sad when I hear people giving up fruit because of the sugar or carb content :disappointed:

I love ALL the fruits. I'd cry without fruit.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Personally, I've been ill far, far less since adopting a healthy eating plan. I think that fueling properly is helping, but it might just be that I've been lucky of course!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    IM healthier and get ill less often due to being fitter and a better diet. Eating fruit is fine or at least 2-3 pieces a day is fine, unless you have specific reasons to restrict your sugar levels. You dont make it clear. You might catch more stuff at the gym, but tbh my diet im so ccrammed full of vitamins and minersla plus take better are of myself.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    How hard do you exercise to where you are in complete exhaustion (I assume you mean that you are down for quite a bit of time after exercise?) this does not sound right to me

Your diary is not public so I can't see if a calorie deficit (way to much of one) is your problem. I could say if you are way less than 500 calories a day in deficit and you do not eat healthy amount of calories for your age, height and weight.. then yes this could be an issue..

To add: I got healthier..meaning I do not get sick and I feel 1000% better than I did a year ago. I take vitamins daily, eat healthy (for the most part)..and exercise daily and more active..

Need to make your diary public..
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    For me, it always happens when I start exercising more, but it eventually gets better.
  • cha97shelley
    cha97shelley Posts: 17 Member
    yes - I've had a cold for about 4 weeks I cannot shake it, and its the third long cold like this in the past 6 months. I didn't know whether it was the fact I was exercising in the gym to be honest and touching equipment others had used, and using the steam room at the gym. Whatever it is, its might annoying. I've managed to workout through this cold, but others have knocked me for 6.
  • hmck123
    Thanks for all the help guys! So happy that everyone's advising that I should eat more fruit - that's exactly what I want to hear. I'll also try to add at least one extra portion of veg into every meal - at the moment I get about 2-3/meal, and 2 a day in snacks, so definitely want to up that! Just to clarify a couple of things in my initial question - I don't mean I'm literally at the point of exhaustion from exercise. My heaviest day of exercise is a 6 mile walk (commute), 10 minutes of abs/legs work, a 10km 1 hour run and a 2 mile walk back from my run, which I do 1-2 days a week. Most days I do a 6 mile walk and about 45 minutes of pilates/circuits. In terms of calorie deficit, I try to eat about 1200 (more if I exercise/feel really hungry). I'm quite short and small already so this gives me a daily deficit of under 500 cals.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Salad is always good as well, very few calories for lots of nutrients (easy way to get a good nutrient mix is to ensure a variety of different colours on your plate)
    Just be a little careful what you garnish with, I actually use olive oil which is obviously very calorie dense but it does go a long way. Apple vinegar is a good low calorie alternative.
    Good luck, it's no fun being ill.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    with only a few pounds to lose you could definitely try to eat more and aim for 0.5lb per week loss

check your nutrition charts in the reports section to make sure you're not lacking in anything vital, in the long-term this can affect your health

and a wide range of fruits and vegetables as well as ignoring sugar as that means nothing unless you have a medical condition

there is also no harm in taking a good prebiotic .. something like acidopholus from the health food stores and not those probiotic yogurts might help boost your immune system
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Same here unfortunately. Coughing up Slimer from Ghostbusters right now. Disgusting. I also feel way more sensible for infections :(
    Taking A-Z Pills and a b12 supplement.
    Maybe my diet is just shittier than I think...feel free to peep my diary! I'd be happy for suggestions and tips (also not sickness related)
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    I think maybe you are pushing yourself too hard! As some others have said if you only have a few pounds left to lose you should be aiming for .5 lbs a week. Also take some rest days from exercise and make sure the calories you are eating are giving you as much nutritional value as possible... Eating healthily and exercising should improve your immune system and make you more resistant to illness. Take it easy for a few days go to maintenance calories and then start again with a less aggressive regime.
  • hmck123
    Hi all - thanks for the great advice! I've made my diary public as a few people have suggested. I also have about 15lbs I want to lose (I'm 5"4 and weigh 135lbs), so I have a BMR of around 1500, so eating at 1200 gives me a deficit of about 300, so I'm on track for losing 0.5lbs a week as a couple of people have suggested.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    hmck123 wrote: »
    Hi all - thanks for the great advice! I've made my diary public as a few people have suggested. I also have about 15lbs I want to lose (I'm 5"4 and weigh 135lbs), so I have a BMR of around 1500, so eating at 1200 gives me a deficit of about 300, so I'm on track for losing 0.5lbs a week as a couple of people have suggested.

your defecit should be calculated from your TDEE not your BMR .. do you mean TDEE?
  • hmck123
    Sorry I always get confused with them! My TDEE is about 1600 and my BMR is about 1300 :)
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    i've noticed the same thing. i probably get more nutrients now than my old diet of lots of carby junk. my body doesn't seem as resilient the last few months, though. I can imagine the demand on it to burn stored fat instead of getting it all quick and easy through food, and the stress of lower calorie intake could mean the body immune system takes a hit. But I don't haven't looked into it scientifically, but anecdotally, I seem to be having more frequent minor illnesses than ever before.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I get sick less often. Vitamin D made a big difference (most North Americans are deficient). I swear the flu shot helps too.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    I don't think so. I always always get a cold or sinus issues during the winter, but this past winter I didn't get sick at all. I think it's because of all the cardio I was doing because I wasn't eating any healthier (wasn't taking any supplements either) and my calorie deficit was from exercise only.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    I have been working on this for several years and, in general, have had far fewer colds and minor illnesses since I have been working out and eating carefully.

However, this last winter was a HORRIBLE cold and flu season, at least in the US. This year's flu vaccine was also one of the worst in recent memory. I would not extrapolate out from your experiences this year--it's an anomaly.

Colds and flu are caused by viruses and bacteria, not by a lack of bananas.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    It's hard to hit all your micros when in a deficit. They keep you immune system up. So yes, if you're in a deficit you may get more colds as a result.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I get sick very rarely and that hasn't changed at all in the last 200 or so days I've been doing this.