Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Logging Fruits - Weigh with/without core???

When logging fruits, do we need to weigh the fruit without the core or with the core to get an accurate measurement of what we are eating calorie wise??? Gonna suck if it needs to be weighed without the core - more work.

Replies

• 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    OMG! That is so time consuming, I couldn't weigh everything - Its bad enough me having to remember everything and log it on here..... hahahaha!!
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Yes! But you could be overestimating your intake and therefore not really being in a deficit so.......I will totally weigh everything in order to make sure im gonna lose.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Well, if you didn't want to chop it up, you could weigh it with the core, eat it, and then weigh the core and subtract it? It's not possible to know the amount beforehand, but you could estimate and then get an exact amount (which, for fruit, won't be that different) after the fact.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I weigh with the core. Other foods might be underestimated (even the labels can be off by 10%), so I just consider it a wash. It would work out to be very few calories overall.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Yes and who knows what mfp did? did they calculate the core in to the measurements or not? no idea if the calories are correct on here when logging fruit OR meat for that matter!!! I find meat soooo hard to figure out if its right or not. all the different cuts and different store the meat comes from. Are you supposed to include the weight of the bone when weighing meats with bone??? Dunno!
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    It is only a couple of calories here and there that we're talking about with an apple. Not enough to destroy an entire week of making healthy choices. The fructose content by weight varies from variety to variety and from apple to apple, depending upon the amount of sunshine, the amount of rain, the length of time in storage. It's still basically an apple; a pretty low calorie choice in the great scheme of things.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    Is it really that hard to core an apple and then weigh it? It doesn't matter whether or not MFP's figures include the core. It matters how many grams or ounces you are eating. You're better off not using the "1 medium apple" thing as a guide. Weigh it.

As for meat, same thing. All that matters is what cut and how many ounces. Sure, it's an estimate, but everything is an estimate. Short of having your steak analyzed in a lab, there is no way to know exactly how many calories are in it, and I don't know about you, but I don't want to get that drastic with it. Do the best you can. I guarantee if you are not getting results, it's not because you are not including the cores of fruit in your food journal.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    I weigh all my food as I plan on eating it so without the core. I figure it's close enough. Same with meat - I just find the MFP entry that matches the closest and go from there. If I'm consistent in what I do than my results will reflect that and I can just adjust from there.
  • kirk_clawson
    kirk_clawson Posts: 36 Member
    I go with a happy medium -
    I weighed the first apple core after I ate the apple. Found it was 10 grams. So now, I just knock 10 grams off every apple I eat when I log it.

Just bought a batch of peaches. I'll weight the pit after I eat the first one, then knock that amount off every peach after that.

Is it accurate? Who cares? 10 grams of apple is like 6 calories or something. I always end up 50-150 calories short of my goal most days in my log anyway. And it's not like the labels on packaged foods are all that accurate either.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Really??? I mean how much will this core contain nutrition wise. I would just log the fruit as whole. This does not have to be an exact science down to the molecule. Just get close as you can and you should be good. :smile:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Yes and who knows what mfp did? did they calculate the core in to the measurements or not? no idea if the calories are correct on here when logging fruit OR meat for that matter!!! I find meat soooo hard to figure out if its right or not. all the different cuts and different store the meat comes from. Are you supposed to include the weight of the bone when weighing meats with bone??? Dunno!

For "whole" foods, I try to go by USDA nutrition facts.