Cheating?

atypicalsmith
atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Is it really cheating if you accidentally go over your calories one day, omit the food that caused you to over on that day, and add it to the next day?

Replies

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    No? Not if you are still under your weekly deficit.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Cheating implies you're doing something wrong. Going over calories on occasion, whether purposely or on accident is part of life. Log it and let it go.
  • darcelchoy
    darcelchoy Posts: 89 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Cheating implies you're doing something wrong. Going over calories on occasion, whether purposely or on accident is part of life. Log it and let it go.

Perfectly said
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member

x infinity
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member

QFT!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    It's not cheating if it was an accident. The fact that you are trying to cover it up by moving it to the next day to make your diary look good implies some disordered thinking though.
  • Reevoslady
    Reevoslady Posts: 26 Member

This. SO MUCH this.

We're human.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    No, but you might find yourself hungry the next day because you aren't eating as many calories as you normally do.
  • atypicalsmith
    mitch16 wrote: »
    It's not cheating if it was an accident. The fact that you are trying to cover it up by moving it to the next day to make your diary look good implies some disordered thinking though.

I agree LOL!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Is it really cheating if you accidentally go over your calories one day, omit the food that caused you to over on that day, and add it to the next day?

no, but it is not accurate logging either.

why are you afraid to log it? Just log it, own int, and move on ….
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member

Why do you assume that she's trying to cover it up? This is no different than making up for the extra calorie intake by eating less the next day. It wood be covering it up if she just didn't log it.

What I see is quite the opposite. She's holding herself accountable and by logging it in the next day's diary she's ensuring that she'll remember to take it into account by eating less.

I actually like the idea.
  • ndj1979
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Why do you assume that she's trying to cover it up? This is no different than making up for the extra calorie intake by eating less the next day. It wood be covering it up if she just didn't log it.

What I see is quite the opposite. She's holding herself accountable and by logging it in the next day's diary she's ensuring that she'll remember to take it into account by eating less.

you don't find it strange that one would want to omit it just to make there day look better?
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    No, if the eating occurred late at night and you didn't have time to log on and add the food on the correct day.
  • atypicalsmith

Thanks! It was after I closed my log for the day and was thinking I still had about 300 calories (because of exercise), when in fact, I had less than what I ate.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I wouldn't use the word cheating but maybe you wouldn't be helping yourself long term depending on your reason for logging it the next day. Logging it the next day is better than not logging it at all though.

If I go over I just log it on the same day because I feel it is more informative that way. I can go back in a month or two and see a pattern of spikes in eating and connect it with my period for example. If I move everything ahead so every day is perfect I'm not going to see that.
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    edited May 2015
    I don't see the value of that for data purposes. I often look at my weight chart and try to figure out the ups and downs on the scale. When I go up, it is inevitably because I had a high sodium day the day or two days before. I just think for accuracy's sake, if you ate it on a certain day, just log it for that day. I also like to look at the food diaries for patterns/trends. So keeping it as accurate as possible helps identify solutions and best practices, etc.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    you don't find it strange that one would want to omit it just to make there day look better?

She didn't omit it, she logged it on a different day. Big deal. The stroke of midnight is not a Cinderella moment. If she ate it at 10pm and logged in the diary for the following day, that two hour difference is not going to make a bit of different to her overall results.

The important thing is that she logged it, and the manner in which she did will help her to remember to account for it the following day.

While we may generally have similar goals, there are differences. Some need to be exact down to the gnat's *kitten*, some just need some good guidance. If I have 300 calories left at the end of they day and I eat something that's 100 calories, I may or may not log it because I know I'm not going over for the day, and I don't anticipate needed that remaining 200 calories the next day. I don't go back to analyse anything, unless I have a blowout day (like the 8 pints of beer I had last Saturday) and want to make sure I have the extra deficit to cover it. Even at that, I'll only go back a week.

atypicalsmith, you did just fine. I may start using that technique myself as a reminder to eat less the next day to make up for any overage the previous day.

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    I don't think it's a big deal she logged it the next day as I don't think it's going to hurt anything. I personally log mine on the correct day because I love to see spikes on my chart. It encourages me NOT to cheat. We're all going to cheat at some point but logging it is the most important part and she did that.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited May 2015
    This thread, in combination with her other threads, suggests disordered thinking in regards to food.

Advice is still the same: seek professional help
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 wrote: »

She didn't omit it, she logged it on a different day. Big deal. The stroke of midnight is not a Cinderella moment. If she ate it at 10pm and logged in the diary for the following day, that two hour difference is not going to make a bit of different to her overall results.

The important thing is that she logged it, and the manner in which she did will help her to remember to account for it the following day.

While we may generally have similar goals, there are differences. Some need to be exact down to the gnat's *kitten*, some just need some good guidance. If I have 300 calories left at the end of they day and I eat something that's 100 calories, I may or may not log it because I know I'm not going over for the day, and I don't anticipate needed that remaining 200 calories the next day. I don't go back to analyse anything, unless I have a blowout day (like the 8 pints of beer I had last Saturday) and want to make sure I have the extra deficit to cover it. Even at that, I'll only go back a week.

atypicalsmith, you did just fine. I may start using that technique myself as a reminder to eat less the next day to make up for any overage the previous day.

I did not read the OP as running out of time on the day, here is the OP:

"Is it really cheating if you accidentally go over your calories one day, omit the food that caused you to over on that day, and add it to the next day?"

Perhaps, I read this wrong, but my reading was that OP was trying to hide going over and move it to the next day, which seemed odd to me. Then gain, I could of misread her OP.

I know for me, if I have a blow out day I just log it all in and then make up for it the next day, or sometimes I don't...

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member

Thanks! It was after I closed my log for the day and was thinking I still had about 300 calories (because of exercise), when in fact, I had less than what I ate.

If that's the case then it's not even cheating in any sense of the word. I would more likely go back to the diary for the day when it happened and edit it, make a note of what happened, and move on... Maybe eat a little under goal or work out a little extra the next to make up for it... but no big deal. It sounded a little more ominous in your original post.

• eplerd
    eplerd Posts: 91 Member
    I say if you ate it you log it - WHEN YOU ATE IT..
    That being said I just logged a 360 calorie brownie batter filled donut - SIGH, that equals a 2 mile run :(

Then again I've not been good at logging dinners out, but when I can I log everything when I eat it - otherwise I'm just lying to myself and that's why I was 100 lbs overweight when I started this!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member

ditto. " disordered thinking though.[/quote]" that I would call cheating.