Not losing even a pound

Options
13»

Replies

• SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Weigh the peanut butter, honestly you'll be so surprised how little you get for the weight. Once I tested myself and eye-balled a tbsp. and then weighed it, I was over twice my estimated amount.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Don't trust labels. Not long ago, the label on the tortilla chips I had said there were 130 calories per ounce, and 1 ounce was about 15 chips, so I was trusting the part about 15 chips. Then one day I decided to weigh them, and it turned out that 1 ounce equaled 8-9 chips.

I had the same experience.
    I notice that too. The serving sizes never really match with the singular food. Anything. Some things weigh 20 more grams which can be a lot of extra calories not accounted for when not weighing foods.

So true.
  • cbowman1114
    cbowman1114 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    faeriesue1 wrote: »
    Weigh the peanut butter, honestly you'll be so surprised how little you get for the weight. Once I tested myself and eye-balled a tbsp. and then weighed it, I was over twice my estimated amount.

Silly question but how do you weigh the peanut butter? Do you just put it like on a plate? I usually just use the tablespoon that comes with my measuring cups
  • cbowman1114
    Options

Silly question but how do you weigh the peanut butter? Do you just put it like on a plate? I usually just use the tablespoon that comes with my measuring cups

Like on a plate, on your food scale
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Place the plate and the item you're putting it on on the scale, zero the scale out, and spread the peanut butter. The number the scale says is the amount you're eating. Alternatively, you can place the jar on the scale and record how much you took out of there (which can be a bit more accurate, especially if you're prone to licking the remaining peanut butter off the knife...I mean, I don't know anyone who would do such a thing...).
  • SusanKing1981
    Options
    I usually get a small dish, put it on the scale so it reads zero and then weigh the peanut butter on the dish. But I've heard of people that put the whole jar on the scales, and take what they want and then work out the difference. So if you weighed the whole jar and it was 250g, then you take some and it reads 225g, you know you've taken 25g.
  • SusanKing1981
    Options
    It really is a PITA to begin with, but after a while it's second nature.
  • sombrefawn
    sombrefawn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    ^ exactly! Best way to measure peanut butter (all spreads really) is to put the jar on the scale, hit tare, and scoop out your portion onto whatever (piece of bread, etc.). The scale will tell you exactly how much was removed from the jar. Then you get to lick the spoon/knife too.
  • asl1979
    asl1979 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    900 - 1000 calories? That seems crazy low. Hard to understand why a doctor would suggest that.

• cbowman1114
    Options
    asl1979 wrote: »
    900 - 1000 calories? That seems crazy low. Hard to understand why a doctor would suggest that.

Exactly my thought too. I'm no doctor but that number of calories just seems dangerously low. That is not good practice and she clearly knows nothing about nutrition. I told her if I start eating 1000 cals a day I'll have nothing to work with. I'm not gonna go down to like 600 calories a day
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    asl1979 wrote: »

Exactly my thought too. I'm no doctor but that number of calories just seems dangerously low. That is not good practice and she clearly knows nothing about nutrition. I told her if I start eating 1000 cals a day I'll have nothing to work with. I'm not gonna go down to like 600 calories a day

I notice in some cases doctors feels that it is ok to lose lots of weight quickly when having lost of fat to lose. Now for what? I not too sure on that one. Maybe they want you to get out of the high fat% risk area.

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    For things like peanut butter, put your jar on the scale, zero your scale, then take out your PB. Whatever the negative number is after, is the amount of peanut butter you've used. Just be careful licking the knife :p
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've been eating around 1600 calories a day, and tracking it all on here. All healthy food. No tv dinners or anything high in sodium, also drinking around 100oz of water a day.

I weigh 230.4 and am 5'5. I've been working out 5 times a week and yesterday even did two workouts. This is week three and I literally haven't even lost half a pound! I do have am under active thyroid.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn.

Hands down, the best weight-loss advice I ever received was to read the Sexypants post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Weight loss is not linear. Some weeks you do everything right but maintain, or even gain. Others you lose a whole lot in a "whoosh." Are you taking measurements and progress photos?

Are you logging everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly? Thyroid meds (in my case, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I kept gaining until I tightened up my logging. Logging works.
  • yspen42
    yspen42 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Drink more water! The more you drink...the more you shrink
  • Uselessly_Irrelevant
    Uselessly_Irrelevant Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I hadn't thought to measure the jar of peanut butter to get the weight! I've been putting my bread on the scale, spreading on the peanut butter -- then very morosely and dejectedly NOT licking the knife :'(

cbowman1114: an example on how to measure the banana you log as 100 grams. Weight your banana - if it comes out to 120 grams, put 1.2 in the serving size.
    iRrLZaM.png

The same goes for the Butterball Turkey Bacon - a serving is 14g. (someone correct me if there is an easier way to do this) I usually keep a cheapo calculator in the kitchen. Divide the number on your scale by the number of grams per serving.. If my slice weights 16g, then 16g/14g = 1.14 servings put THAT number in to the serving section. I know it sounds like a hassle, but that's the way you're gonna get the most accurate results.

I know that I am too lazy for that usually, so I'll just put in "1 slice" instead of weighting it BUT the difference is I know that I'm not being completely accurate and if my weight loss slows down I'll start being more meticulous with my tracking.