Restaurant eating

Options
2»

Replies

• agreenid
    agreenid Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I went out for mexican today. I ended up compromising and going for carnitas and making sure I was careful with the chips and salsa. I had about a thousand calories left for the day so it all worked out alright I think. I really wanted the enchiladas but was super satisfied with what I ordered.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I just assume that any time I go out, it will be a cheat meal. There is nothing worse than having menu envy, when the person you are with has a meal that looks/smells nicer than yours, so I just order what I want. Otherwise life just starts getting a bit miserable :(
  • dragthewaters
    dragthewaters Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Don't get appetizers, only have one drink, ask them not to bring bread, cut your portion in half and bring the other half home for later (then you get to enjoy the meal twice!) If I get dessert, I usually get it to go and then have it later on after having time to digest the meal, which helps spread the calories out and avoid getting hungry later on. You could cut the dessert in half too if you want.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of research before I do. Some entrees are sneaky! Olive Garden for example. You'd think pasta with red meat sauce wouldn't be so bad, right? Guess again.

I avoid anything fried (typically) unless it's a special treat.

I try to take half of my meal home.

Or some days I just say, "screw it" and get fish & chips. Life's too short. :p
  • rutzsa
    rutzsa Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Red Robin has an app for their nutrition info...you can customize your food and see the nutrition comparison with the original.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Look at menus online if available. If not, make the best choices you can. Look up similar items in MFP database. Lighten things up. I live in restaurants on the weekends and have become a pro at eating out.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Prelog and try to account for most of the calories. I also can't eat wheat or dairy which saves me a TON of calories on things like cheese and buns. I almost never allow myself to drink my calories if I'm out and I TRY not to get refills on things like fries. But, in general, I eat out so little that I'd rather "blow it" a little and really savor my meal than try to get something healthy and be so disappointed that I make up for it later back at home.