Right size smoothie diet!

Options
Rking3210
Rking3210 Posts: 4 Member
It's amazing I feel full all the time and have cut my calorie intake down to 1200 a day lost 4lbs already with exercise too

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm predicting you're going to miss chewing here pretty soon. Any diet that dramatically reduces calories is going to work short term. The real test is if you can stick to it long term and if you can maintain the loss after you stop. A smoothie diet doesn't teach you how to eat long term to maintain weight loss.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    You could do a smoothie for breakfast and regular foods for the other 2 meals and have it be sustainable, methinks.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    The real test is if you can stick to it long term and if you can maintain the loss after you stop. A smoothie diet doesn't teach you how to eat long term to maintain weight loss.

this.....

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I make my own smoothies. They're cheaper, you can put what you like in them and you can change them up for variety. The thing with these diet gimmicks is they're just that--gimmicks. Whatever you can get out of some diet food plan, you can do for yourself much cheaper and healthier. Why do Weight Watchers or Jenni Craig work or Right Size Smoothies work if followed correctly? Portion size. You can do that for yourself for free and you don't have to be restricted to what they sell you.
  • Rking3210
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I make my own smoothies. They're cheaper, you can put what you like in them and you can change them up for variety. The thing with these diet gimmicks is they're just that--gimmicks. Whatever you can get out of some diet food plan, you can do for yourself much cheaper and healthier. Why do Weight Watchers or Jenni Craig work or Right Size Smoothies work if followed correctly? Portion size. You can do that for yourself for free and you don't have to be restricted to what they sell you.

It actually cost more to make your own smoothies and is use this to feel more full is not all I eat but thanks
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Costs me about 50 cents to make my daily coffee protein smoothie, which is my daily go-to lunch, so no, it doesn't cost more. I have a berry mix that I make that costs about $1.00 per which is the most expensive one I make.

Even if I had one of those daily, it would still be less than $10 a week. So, no, it doesn't cost more.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Lolz.
  • emmy15rocks
    emmy15rocks Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    You could do a smoothie for breakfast and regular foods for the other 2 meals and have it be sustainable, methinks.

This is what I do :) and I make my own smoothies- they're delicious! Usually I have a really fruity one, I'm not really into green smoothies. Although sometimes I get my chocolate kick this way too by having a sweet smoothie (banana, peanut butter and a lil chocolate spread! A little less healthy, but stops me binging on chocolate later!)
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    A smoothie diet doesn't teach you how to eat long term to maintain weight loss.

This drives me crazy. I love having a smoothie for breakfast because I don't have time in the mornings mostly just because they keep me full longer. I don't get why some people are so against it.

• emmy15rocks
    emmy15rocks Posts: 73 Member
    Options

This drives me crazy. I love having a smoothie for breakfast because I don't have time in the mornings mostly just because they keep me full longer. I don't get why some people are so against it.
    I think they meant smoothies as meal replacement for every meal maybe? I can see that not being sustainable. But like you, I love my breakfast smoothie!
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

No one is against smoothies. But having a diet that consists of only smoothies is ridiculous and unsustainable.
  • price0909
    price0909 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Rking3210 wrote: »

It actually cost more to make your own smoothies and is use this to feel more full is not all I eat but thanks

I buy a huge bag of Organic Frozen Berries, and Organic Mixed greens from Costco. I make up about 20 baggies to freeze. Just add coconut water, greek yogurt (also from Costco) and some other random stuff I have anyways (Cucumbers, Carrots etc)
    Id say about $2.00 the most each?

I bought a smoothie out once, it was TERRIBLE and it was almost $6/$7!!!
  • usmcmp
    Options

A smoothie diet, not having one per day. Eating nothing but smoothies is not sustainable and teaches you nothing. Having one for breakfast is not a smoothie diet. You shouldn't read into things and just take them at face value, it will drive you crazy less.
  • gracecrouse
    gracecrouse Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just got into making smoothies, and trying to find the right balance. I went gung ho and bought..chia, flax, hemp seeds, goji berries, cacao nibs, nuts, maca powder & coconut milk. Trying to do green smoothie with some fruit. I know I have way overdone it with all the good stuff that also adds carbs and sugar. Would love to find the right balance for a smoothie for one meal replacement. Can anyone shed some light on this for me ? Thanks !

• Rking3210
    Options

Thank you! You don't have to do what it says to the T . I have a smoothie with lots of water for breakfast . Not an all day thing. When it's too late to eat I have a smoothie
  • Rking3210
    Options
    Thanks so much for the support guys with people like you I'm sure I'll be successful losing weight =/
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Rking3210 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the support guys with people like you I'm sure I'll be successful losing weight =/

Here's the thing about those of us who have been successful on MFP. We aren't going to pat you on the back and make you feel good about things that we know aren't sustainable long term. We're going to be honest. Want a smoothie for breakfast because it helps you feel full and keeps you within your calories? Fine. Want to drink smoothies instead of eat because it's convenient? We are going to let you know that you will struggle to maintain the loss long term. So yes, with us telling you things you may not want to hear we are being supportive even if you think we aren't.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Hey I love my morning chocolate protein smoothie, but eating them in place of actual food? That's no way to live, man.
  • Gizmo20783
    Gizmo20783 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie about 3-4 times a week with an egg or two. Always start with a bag of spinach and my staples are strawberries, blueberries and raspberries and I alternate between bananas, apples, pears and kiwis.