I need to be set free from this prison of my own making

Options
critwitt
critwitt Posts: 5 Member
I'm at the heaviest weight I've ever been. I feel so out of control and low about myself. I feel unattractive and lazy. I'm 49 years old and I need to do this NOW. I've struggled with my weight my whole life, but I need to win this battle once and for all; to be set free from this prison of my own making. I need all the help and encouragement I can get. I know there is power in community, so I need that.

Replies

• butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hello welcome to MFP. This journey isn't easy. But if you change just one thing. It will help in the end. Have a great day :)
  • oriel67
    oriel67 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    you have already made a big step in just admitting you have a problem and vowing to do something about it. I, like yourself, have struggled for years with my weight. This January I vowed I would try one more time, and if I did my best, I would resign myself to the fact I was meant to be fat. I don't know what it was, but something clicked this time and I have had more success than I have ever had in the past. Since Jan I have lost over 40 pounds, 22 inches and can finally say I weigh less than 400 pounds.
    Find something that works for you, but don't make excuses for why you can't succeed. Take it one day at a time. If you fall one day, start again the next day. If you have a bad meal, make the next one healthy and more importantly forgive yourself for failing. We are our own worst critics when we should be our best cheerleaders!

Good luck!
  • DesertRange
    DesertRange Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Make a few changes at a time and stick with it. Make it part of your day..just as you make putting shoes on as a part of your day. Start with replacing one meal with something healthy...if you don't know what to fix...get some lean protein meal replacement and shake it up!!! The feeling of having nutrients for your body will motivate you so much!!!
  • 4aay
    4aay Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hey critwitt, saw your words and thought of the Eagles song Take it Easy but the lyrics of Already Gone: "So often times it happens we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key"

I'm also 49 and been feeling low. I've done Nutrisystem for a few years now and back on track with eating mostly in control after jumping off the wagon and gaining about 40 back from a 70lb loss. My battle continues.

There are plenty of plans and ways of losing wt. NS is what I was able to do along with being a part of a challenge to actually follow through and DO IT that way happened to work for me. Determination. Commitment.

Let's be strong then we'll sing the Victory Song! bye bye wt. want it already gone- :)

• critwitt
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Words of encouragement are really helpful to me right now!
  • purplerosemfp
    purplerosemfp Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    mfp really changes lives , it really opened my eyes to what i was doing wrong .. a few little changes to your diet knowing your portion sizes and away you go. Even taking a little walk 5 times a week or for an hour a couple of times a day does so much for you. feel free to add me and good luck
  • critwitt
    Options
    I've been tracking my food for 5 days now :smile: That can be somewhat of a challenge for me though, as I cook from scratch a lot. Any suggestions for making counting homemade calories easier?
    Also, I have yet to start exercising because I dread it! I have a job where I sit all day. I have bad knees. I have plantar faciitis (bad feet). I know that losing weight would help my physical ailments but it's getting started that is SO HARD!
  • murderonthenile
    murderonthenile Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    critwitt wrote: »
    I've been tracking my food for 5 days now :smile: That can be somewhat of a challenge for me though, as I cook from scratch a lot. Any suggestions for making counting homemade calories easier?
    Also, I have yet to start exercising because I dread it! I have a job where I sit all day. I have bad knees. I have plantar faciitis (bad feet). I know that losing weight would help my physical ailments but it's getting started that is SO HARD!

I have bad feet as well. What helps me is exercising on a recumbent bike every single morning. I am obese and so it's difficult to do a lot of exercises, but having a set time and plan has helped me feel a lot better about myself. I do it at a gym and while I was extremely hesitant with that, I've met some nice people who are supportive and encouraging. The morning is good. When I relied on afternoons after work, I'd talk myself out of going every day, whereas in the morning, there's not as much time to do that. Work is tiring and I understand that the last thing you want to do is something that will be even more tiring.

Best of luck to you!