Social eating and counting cals

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Maybe it would benefit you to stop thinking of highly palatable foods as "crap."

That fruit pizza sure sounded like crap to me.

Why, because it's sweet? What's wrong with that?

Because it sounds like very little flavor other than sugar.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Maybe it would benefit you to stop thinking of highly palatable foods as "crap."

Maybe some people enjoy that? I know I do.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Not sure of your point. How would that make it not sound like crap to me? Have at it if it sounds good to you.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Shortbread and fruit provide a lot of flavor, more to be had from local, in-season fruit than stuff that's been imported and has been designed to be able to withstand sitting around without looking spoiled. How I make it, the topping also includes grated lemon peel. It truly is delightful.

Edited to include a link to a recipe I found on line which is close to what I do.
    http://noemptychairs.me/2010/08/07/fruit-pizza/
  • sambor2
    sambor2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Please get used to eating only healthy foods. You will not stave and eventually it will be no big deal.
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Fruit pizza is amazing! I'd cut myself a small piece and then choose some lower calorie options to make it a meal.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    Options

Not sure of your point. How would that make it not sound like crap to me? Have at it if it sounds good to you.

I thought you were implying that it must be bad for you by calling it crap. I think it was a misunderstanding. OP probably meant it that way, though.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options

No, it's "crap" because one teeny, unfulfilling slice that seriously tempts you to eating more is probably like 500 calories - 1/3rd of my daily allotment.

I'd skip it, too. It ain't worth it.

My company had Maggie Moos icecream truck visit yesterday. I just skipped it. I don't want to try to guesstimate how many calories are in what I would have been tempted to get nor did I have any room for it yesterday anyway (I went over going out to dinner as it was).
  • lemonsnowdrop
    Options

No, it's "crap" because one teeny, unfulfilling slice that seriously tempts you to eating more is probably like 500 calories - 1/3rd of my daily allotment.

My company had Maggie Moos icecream truck visit yesterday. I just skipped it. I don't want to try to guesstimate how many calories are in what I would have been tempted to get nor did I have any room for it yesterday anyway (I went over going out to dinner as it was).

Uhh. But some people can fit it into their day. Maybe exercise a little more to make room, if they want it bad enough. It still doesn't make it crap.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options

Oh, so the definition of crap is purely based on the user's definition and use of it?

I would have eaten the hell out of that Maggie Moos ice cream truck...that's right. Whole truck. Yolo.

Just because you don't want to make it fit into your day doesn't make it crap.

You know what's crap then?

Kale. Because gross.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I thought you were implying that it must be bad for you by calling it crap. I think it was a misunderstanding. OP probably meant it that way, though.

I wouldn't say it's unhealthy in moderation for many people, but I certainly wouldn't call it health food either. It's a sugar bomb. Seems like a total waste of calories to me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    everyone knows I workout at lunch...I attend these things a few times per year when it's actually a special occasion or holiday or something. I don't change my schedule and activity just because it's another rando Friday and people want to have a pot-luck. If anything, I just pop into these things to chat with some folks for awhile and then I'm on my way to do what I do.

I personally don't mind being labeled the office fitness nut...
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Go and eat reasonably. Set a limit of 1 plate of food. If you can take a second to see what's there before you start dishing it up, you'll know what you want. Then go back and decide if you want a big scoop or little scoop of anything.
    Nothing is bad or Crap, in moderation. It can be crap if you over indulge and don't think that eating an over abundance of it will have an impact on your weight loss efforts. If you can accept where it falls within your calorie guidelines, then everything is fair game. (I'm preaching this to myself mostly, hoping it will be of some use to you)
    tumblr_inline_njfoghxaPp1rvkz2p.gif
  • wishesonstars
    wishesonstars Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    ..... "I constantly have to explain why one time I say no and the next time I indulge when out with friends. I pick and choose how often and what I indulge in" ......

I can totally relate to this!! I find it rewarding to indulge sometimes but be strong and say no other times.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    Options

I wouldn't say it's unhealthy in moderation for many people, but I certainly wouldn't call it health food either. It's a sugar bomb. Seems like a total waste of calories to me.

Totally subjective.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    If you know it is coming, then budget for the stuff you like, like fruit pizza. Do a little more cardio that day. It will all even out. Personally I see no reason to be a martyr and sit in the corner with a celery stalk and a glass of water. Enjoy a taste of one or two things you like and skip the rest. Very few of us are going to spend the rest of our days denying ourselves the treats we love. So it makes sense to figure out how to incorporate it into our planning. I would actually ask the person for the recipe, put it in the recipe calculator and then you know what you're getting. Plus maybe you could play around with it and cut out some of the sugar and make a healthier version for yourself from time to time.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Boy, people are pretty hotly divided over the fruit pizza! Put me down for pro, though I'd prefer if it were made with low-fat cream cheese! A cookie, cream cheese, and fresh fruit? I say awesome :)
    We have a grad party tomorrow. My plan is to choose 1) the foods in their simplest form (no mayonnaises, dressings, etc) and 2) an item that really sounds worth it, if there is one ;)
  • moledew
    moledew Posts: 71 Member
    Options

haha, i didn't mean to start a debate. But I did use the term "crap" because it's a high calorie, sugary food (there's nothing wrong with that if you can fit it into your allotted calorie amount, i eat a little debbie almost every day!) but the purpose of these potlucks we have are to get people to try actual healthy foods and we've got that fruit pizza next to broccoli burgers and kale chips. There's always a rebel in the group.. But I appreciate everyone's input on how to handle these situations and typically, the food isn't worth me wasting the calories and having to re-plan my dinner. I'm faced with these situations at every turn it seems since I do have a large family that celebrates EVERYTHING and my friends always want to have lunch, dinner, drinks etc.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

Kale. Because gross.

Kale is fabulous, especially when you grow it yourself.

OP, nobody is MAKING you eat anything. It is always a choice.

You need to focus on the actual social aspect (people) and stop worrying about the food.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Additional strategies:

1. Take a little bit of everything. Carry it around on your plate. Do not eat it.
    2. Keep some sort of drink in your hand. Carry it around.

If it looks like you have food and drink, very few people will question what you are or are not doing with them. I worked for years at a job where I was required to go to cocktail receptions. I could not drink alcohol at the time for medical reasons. If I took a drink and carried it with me, nobody ever questioned what I was doing.