Need help

I am just getting ready to start getting back in the gym to get into shape. Just a little background I am 21 yrs old, weigh about 134lbs, 5'8, and about 7% body fat. My problem is gaining size I'm trying to bulk up and reach about 150lbs of lean muscle and I have just have a huge struggle trying to gain any weight every time I have tried. Any advice on how to eat and what types of workout I should do.

Replies

• ronaldjp13
    ronaldjp13 Posts: 2 Member
    Hey Kyle,
    I recommend that you focus on strength. Lyle Mcdonald's "General Bulking Routine" is simple and effective. You can find it online. Don't go all out every workout and every set. If you do, you will likely hinder your strength gains and burn out mentally. Remember that more is not always more when it comes to training. You need to make sure that you are able to recover and gradually be stronger over time.

As far as gaining weight/muscle, you need to be in a caloric surplus in order to do so in an effective and consistent manor. You will most likely gain some body fat a long the way, but doing short diets ever 5-6 months can help remove excess body fat. I recommend consuming .75-1 gram of protein per pound of body weight per day.
    Fat calories should make up 20-30% of your daily calories, and the rest should be filled with carbohydrates. Also, it is recommended that you get in 10 grams of fiber for every 1,000 calories that you consume.

Set your calories at a certain level. See how you respond, and how your weight changes. If you are not gaining or losing weight, adjust your calories and continue to see how your weight changes. Keep track of your weight throughout the week, take an average weight for that week, because water levels can fluctuate and throw off the scale.
    If you can't gain weight, you simply need to eat more (and possibly move less, if thats an option).

i hope this helps

-Ron