Plateau/slow metabolism

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    SRJ5820 wrote: »
    blankiefinder- thank you for that idea about the t3 and t4 levels. I'll see what he says about it! And yes, I did stop for about 2 minutes to answer a call during my workout. I'll also eat back less calories, see what that does. And I don't use anything from the database unless I've checked multiples to make sure they are equal!

I just wanted to add, that if they are running blood work anyway, also get your vitamin D level checked, and if it's low, be sure to use the vitamin D liquid drops, not pills or chewables.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    SRJ5820 wrote: »
    blankiefinder- thank you for that idea about the t3 and t4 levels. I'll see what he says about it! And yes, I did stop for about 2 minutes to answer a call during my workout. I'll also eat back less calories, see what that does. And I don't use anything from the database unless I've checked multiples to make sure they are equal!

I just wanted to add, that if they are running blood work anyway, also get your vitamin D level checked, and if it's low, be sure to use the vitamin D liquid drops, not pills or chewables.

Why not pills or chewables?
  • blankiefinder
    According to my doctor, liquid vitamin is more bioavailable for absorption, and to take D3 not D2 as D3 is the same form of vitamin D that the body naturally produces.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    According to my doctor, liquid vitamin is more bioavailable for absorption, and to take D3 not D2 as D3 is the same form of vitamin D that the body naturally produces.

I took pills and was able to raise my D levels just fine.
  • galgenstrick

I agree with the D3 over D2 part, but pills are the same as the liquid (it's just liquid in a gel cap). Both of which are effective at raising your 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels.
  • blankiefinder

I agree with the D3 over D2 part, but pills are the same as the liquid (it's just liquid in a gel cap). Both of which are effective at raising your 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels.

Sorry, I should have been more specific, I think the pills he was referring to were not gel caps. And I'm sure that even the chewables etc will help some. What I mentioned above was just the advice I received, take from it what you will.
  • mfermo
    mfermo Posts: 102 Member
    Hi, the day after I exercise quite often I weight more, so what I personally track is that each week I reach a new minimum, then weight goes kind of up & down but in the long run i l lose. 2lbs/week seems to me a little ambitious anyhow. My 2 advices:
    1) Increase your daily consumption to 1900 but don' eat back exercise calories (that are kind of a guess in my opinion). If you are ok to stay lower without starving do so, but I would allow you some more intake
    2) Don't eat starchy carbs during dinner (or after 16 pm) at least 4 days a week
  • galgenstrick

Sorry, I should have been more specific, I think the pills he was referring to were not gel caps. And I'm sure that even the chewables etc will help some. What I mentioned above was just the advice I received, take from it what you will.

I see, I would recommend just getting your levels checked every year to make sure your in the optimal range. That way it doesn't matter what brand or whatever you're taking, you just know if you need to take more or if need to take less.
  • rachmawatyyulia
    rachmawatyyulia Posts: 38 Member
    Perhaps... trying martial arts training? Such as kick boxing, muay thai, etc.

I heard that it burn 1000 calories per training. And many people in weight loss plateau hit it well
  • bhawk102
    bhawk102 Posts: 36 Member
    When you say exercise what do you specifically mean? You should do more than just cardio. Lift weights and do strength training as well.
  • SRJ5820
    SRJ5820 Posts: 63 Member
    Thanks again everyone. I've been logging dilegently this week, and not eating anything extra. Also cutting down on sugar (candy) and eating more fruit and veggies. Same amount of cals but different cals. Also only eating half my exercise cals back. I'm going to email my doctors nurse about vitamin d and the free t3 test also. Bhawk102 i've been doing mainly elliptical. 6-8 times a week.
  • SRJ5820
    Good read Editorgrrl. Not sure about weighing everyday, but everything else made sense.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    1580 seems so low for someone over 6' tall. OP is overweight, but not hugely so. My sons are both big guys, and one is 6'2" and is around 235-240 when bulking. Maybe OP's close to his goal weight/set point, and that's why he's not losing as fast. I just can't see a grown man over 6' tall eating 1580 forever. I can eat that much on a high exercise day, and I'm a tiny middle=aged woman.
  • SRJ5820
    Hey rosebette- That is what I'm saying. Like I said, I might be eating a 100 or 2 over some days but that is it. Get on the scale and either maintain or drop a pound then go up a pound the next week. It's so discouraging. The hardest part is that everybody has an opinion on what to do, but most I've tried and can't seem to get going again.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    The less you have to lose, the more slowly it comes off. That's just the way the human body works. Set your goal to .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight, and be patient: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided