SCUBA Fitness

Options
bama6977
bama6977 Posts: 71 Member
Just curious what do my SCUBA friends do to maintain fitness. I know most of the time not very strenuous but to be prepared for those time when the "SHTF". For me it's swimming laps, walking /running and squats, bench press/push ups and lots of pull ups.

Replies

• DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    As a former SCUBA diver, you'll want to focus mostly on cardio. Swimming is good for your legs while diving. The reason I say cardio is the better your heart and lungs are the longer your bottom times will turn out to be. Even if you are swift current diving and putting out a lot of effort, if you're in better cardio shape you will be able to maintain a slower breathing cycle, the slower your cycle the longer your tank will last. Keep up your strength training for the main reason that in diving, your gear is heavy as you haul it around. Both off and on the boat. You'll want to be able to move and carry it around without getting out of breath and straining yourself. As you progress in diving and add additional tanks for long and/or deeper dives the weight of the gear above water gets heavier.

Though you are right most divers don't do much because diving is a somewhat effortless hobby/sport.

Enjoy your dives and good luck.