Does anyone adjust macro & calorie goals based on TDEE?

Options
sixxpoint
sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
edited May 2015 in Getting Started
TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) more here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

MFP seems like a great app for nutrition (if you are careful with editing the basics and then weighing, scanning, and being meticulous with your entries). However, I find it unreliable if also tracking exercise.

The calorie goal they recommend without adjustments is far too low, almost to the point of being dangerous. Combine this with the calories burned from exercise, and it could be a very unhealthy program.

Discuss.

Replies

• johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    tdee? no. mfp? yes
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ^So you fully trust an app's decision to dictate your health versus proven science in nutrition?
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    They are both the same thing, if tracked properly.
    I use TDEE, because I prefer have the same target each day. But whether I eat my TDEE-% for weight loss, or my MFP target + accurate exercise calories, it is all the same averaged over the week. Just different ways of doing the same thing.

I don't see how MFP would be unhealthy, unless you aren't following the program as it is meant to be followed. Remember, the calorie goal are meant for someone who does not exercise at all. Exercise calories are meant to be eaten back.
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It's inaccurate because as much as macro & calorie tracking is inaccurate (by fault of the inputter), exercise tracking is far more inaccurate. Consistency is thrown out of the window.

When I joined MFP a few years ago, I think it recommended something like 1400-1500 calories a day for me. And based on scientific studies, the recommended protein content and fat content were far too low.

The baseline seems to be the amount of weight to lose... which is not always the goal... especially at the sacrifice of overall health.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I changed it to the TDEE goal - I hate tracking exercise calories.