Waking up with serious cramp in your calf.

Options
2»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I used to get them 3-4 nights a week, sometimes in the calves, sometimes in the quads. Turns out (in my case) it was a symptom of diabetes. My a1c is down to normal levels and I don't get them anymore, unless I really overload on carbs.

Generally it is either a potassium deficiency or dehydration.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    CM_73 wrote: »
    I can't even imagine the pain of a quad cramping, I'm going to have nightmare now...

It makes you wish for a quick and merciful death. Honestly, childbirth was less painful!

On second thoughts, I must just stay up all night tonight...
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I get calf cramps every so often, and I stretch with my heel as hard as I can and it goes away almost immediately.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    Magnesium deficiency.

THIS!
    Absolutely correct, plus make sure you are stretching. I buy Ionic Fizz Megnesium plus or Magnesium calcium plus for my mag needs. It pretty much killed my cramps.

Oh yeah, and hydration is also important.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I can't even imagine the pain of a quad cramping, I'm going to have nightmare now...

It makes you wish for a quick and merciful death. Honestly, childbirth was less painful!

On second thoughts, I must just stay up all night tonight...

You can't stay awake forever. ;)

But yeah, my one leg cramped up and the pain woke me instantly. Then the second I moved my other leg, it went into spasm, too. I literally put a pillow over my face and screamed and screamed. Tried moving every which way to get it to stop. Then when it finally did, I tried to move to get more comfortable and it fired up again!

My poor husband didn't know what the hell was wrong with me - all I could do was writhe in pain and scream into the pillow. :s
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    _The_Lone_Wolf_ Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I was definately not dehydrated, in the gym alone i already had 2liters water and before and after i drank too but i did some heavy calf exercises and it have been like years since i did those so maybe that was the cause.

What i absolutely hate is when you get the cramp and do the things to get it away but the techniques dont work directly, pure agony :D