So...MFP spanked me!

2»

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    minizebu wrote: »
    Or, maybe MFP should just keep their nose out of it and let adults make their own decisions.

Haha, I guess I tend to lean toward this, if I wanted critique on my food intake, I'd just let my mother give it to me, she'd be more than willing :p
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    The OP told us what she ate, not what she netted for the day.
  • Jesslan_Rose
    Jesslan_Rose Posts: 137 Member
    edited May 2015
    It would be wonderful if they could build some sophistication into the warning. (But I'm sure that the following is asking way to much, as far as programming for a free app goes.)

Perhaps the first time you go below 1200 in a 7-day period, it lets you close your day without issue. The second time it happens in the 7-day period, it throws up the warning the OP said she got and the then the third time it happens in the same 7-day period there could be an even more concerned warning with a reference to an article about the dangers of eating too little. This would allow people who go below 1200 on a one-off basis to go about their merry way, but it would provide an elevated deterrence for people who do it on a regular basis or who are actually using MFP to enable their eating disorder.

I love these ideas.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    It would be wonderful if they could build some sophistication into the warning. (But I'm sure that the following is asking way to much, as far as programming for a free app goes.)

Perhaps the first time you go below 1200 in a 7-day period, it lets you close your day without issue. The second time it happens in the 7-day period, it throws up the warning the OP said she got and the then the third time it happens in the same 7-day period there could be an even more concerned warning with a reference to an article about the dangers of eating too little. This would allow people who go below 1200 on a one-off basis to go about their merry way, but it would provide an elevated deterrence for people who do it on a regular basis or who are actually using MFP to enable their eating disorder.

However, by the same token, I'd like to see a similar warning process in effect for a person who goes 2000-3000 calories over their goal once in a 7-day period (a one-off occurrence gets no message), but receive a message a "hey, this isn't a good idea" message if they do it again in a 7-day period, and an even more stern message with a reference to the dangers of extreme overeating if they do it a third time in a 7-day period. This would catch the binge-eating crowd.

None of the above takes into consideration various special populations: intermittent fasters, people on bulking cycles, people on special very low calorie diets authorized by their doctors, etc.

Or, maybe MFP should just keep their nose out of it and let adults make their own decisions.

You could circumvent that by not closing out your diary, though.

I did that when I had the flu. Almost 2 weeks of eating 600-900 calories. I did not want to see the warning every day for that long.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

However, by the same token, I'd like to see a similar warning process in effect for a person who goes 2000-3000 calories over their goal once in a 7-day period (a one-off occurrence gets no message), but receive a message a "hey, this isn't a good idea" message if they do it again in a 7-day period, and an even more stern message with a reference to the dangers of extreme overeating if they do it a third time in a 7-day period. This would catch the binge-eating crowd.

None of the above takes into consideration various special populations: intermittent fasters, people on bulking cycles, people on special very low calorie diets authorized by their doctors, etc.

I think the warning/can't close out exists because otherwise the "in 5 days" message can be triggering or encourage those with EDs. I noticed this (and came around to supporting MFP's current system) on this when I fasted last year for Ash Wednesday and closed out because I'd had some raw veggies in the evening and got a hilarious message about how much I'd weigh in 5 weeks if I ate like that every day (back then you got the warning under 1200 but could close out). Or at least I initially found it hilarious and then thought about how some people might find that a STRONG encouragement to undereat dangerously.

You really don't need a special message if you are overeating, since not only do you probably already feel bad about it (and frankly what you need is encouragement to log it and see), but the message about what you will weigh in 5 weeks already gives you that negative message.

In fact, when I switched to TDEE method and didn't log back calories at first it used to drive me crazy that it would say that I'd gain when I was eating according to plan (since I exercise a lot). I messed around with it so it doesn't do that, but a special message for going over too much would only make it more likely that I wouldn't log in those situations.

Of course, that's the deal with people who really want to undereat too, but there the genuine concern MFP has is not actively encouraging the behavior or incentivizing it.

The message already includes a disclaimer for stuff that's just one day or due to following a doctor's orders. I am not bothered by getting it on, say, Good Friday or some day when I was sick.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The message already includes a disclaimer for stuff that's just one day or due to following a doctor's orders. I am not bothered by getting it on, say, Good Friday or some day when I was sick.

I didn't read the warning in full, I was too sick at the time. The caveat about the doctor's orders is interesting to know. I was wondering about that because I have my biennial colonoscopy coming up in October (oh the joys of them finding precancerous stuff, you get to get scoped more often...).

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Just eat a teaspoon of Peanut Butter and then watch it hit over 1200. :)

Or.....

Weigh out enough peanut butter in grams to equal whatever calorie goal you want, or find something else that fits in. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    tinab190 wrote: »
    And I deserved it. I have my calorie goal set pretty low, 1200 calories. Yesterday I ate 1159 and when I hit "complete my entry" I got a warning about not eating enough to get the proper nutrition and that MFP would not be posting this days results for me. Pretty smart, and I should know better than to be trying to shave even a few more calories off of an already low goal in an attempt to speed things up. Thanks MFP. Keep me on track....but the smart way.
    Why do you have your calorie goal set so low, since you have 59 calories to go? You could lose weight at a slower rate eating more.

Congrats on your weight loss so far!
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member

They could then await the lawsuits I'm sure. Just because people are adults does not mean they make good decisions. Some of the posts on the forums prove that. MFP has to show that they are not promoting unsafe weightloss just on a legal basis. If you are unable to except that it's a generic warning and get offended by it I'm really not sure you should even be on the internet
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    isulo_kura wrote: »

They could then await the lawsuits I'm sure. Just because people are adults does not mean they make good decisions. Some of the posts on the forums prove that. MFP has to show that they are not promoting unsafe weightloss just on a legal basis. If you are unable to except that it's a generic warning and get offended by it I'm really not sure you should even be on the internet

This 100% if someone is that worked up over a generic warning, then maybe you shouldn't be online at all.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    isulo_kura wrote: »

They could then await the lawsuits I'm sure. Just because people are adults does not mean they make good decisions. Some of the posts on the forums prove that. MFP has to show that they are not promoting unsafe weightloss just on a legal basis.

I think that you have hit the nail on the head here. They post the warning message, not because of some great concern for the welfare of their users who may have eating disorders, but because this is a business, now with deeper pockets than before (Under Armour) and they need to be able to argue that they are not enabling eating disorders, should the family of an anorexic or bulimic ever sue them. I think that the United States is likely the most litigious nation and, unfortunately, businesses have to cover themselves in anticipation of potential law suits.