High fat and low carbs = weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    The weight loss due to low carb intake is mainly water weight, what really matters is calories in, calories out.

Eat nutrient dense foods and other foods that you like, stay in a caloric deficit, and you will lose weight.

I started at 165. I'm 145 now. I'm pretty sure that I didn't lose 20 lbs of water. Maybe 5ish lbs of water, but definitely not 15-20. Yes, the initial loss at the start is water, but the rest is actual weight, meaning fat.

• kamber13
    kamber13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    elisa_rush wrote: »
    It depends on your metabolism, although it's probably not healthy to stay in ketosis.

Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, it is perfectly safe to stay in ketosis for extended periods of time.

I think the misconception is the high fat phrase...

Consider:
    low carb + low fat + calorie deficit = weight loss + high food volume

The goal is to lose weight, get healthy, and maintain it.

If you really read literature on Atkins or the South Beach diets, they do NOT recommend eating high fat food even if it's low carb, both recommend high volume - low carb foods found in certain vegetables, berries, and proteins.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    The weight loss due to low carb intake is mainly water weight, what really matters is calories in, calories out.

Eat nutrient dense foods and other foods that you like, stay in a caloric deficit, and you will lose weight.

I started at 165. I'm 145 now. I'm pretty sure that I didn't lose 20 lbs of water. Maybe 5ish lbs of water, but definitely not 15-20. Yes, the initial loss at the start is water, but the rest is actual weight, meaning fat.

And the initial loss on non-lc WOEs is also mostly water weight the first week. I never understand why people act like that's some big scam. LCer loses 8lbs the first week, non LCer loses 5lbs the first week, they're still losing mostly water weight and 1-2lbs of fat. They'll still both gain that 3-6lbs back if they give up and go back to their original WOE.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    kamber13 wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    elisa_rush wrote: »
    It depends on your metabolism, although it's probably not healthy to stay in ketosis.

Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, it is perfectly safe to stay in ketosis for extended periods of time.

I think the misconception is the high fat phrase...

Consider:
    low carb + low fat + calorie deficit = weight loss + high food volume

The goal is to lose weight, get healthy, and maintain it.

If you really read literature on Atkins or the South Beach diets, they do NOT recommend eating high fat food even if it's low carb, both recommend high volume - low carb foods found in certain vegetables, berries, and proteins.

I've never heard anyone say that before. Can you link me to something stating that?

I would also be interested in seeing an official Atkins or SB source that doesn't advocate high fat, since that's what's on their websites. SB just differentiates by calling them "good" and "bad".
  • FreshStartForMyself
    FreshStartForMyself Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Please read my previous comment on this post. I didn't express myself well, sorry.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the biggest reason people eating low-carb diets sometimes lose more weight is that they also tend to eat more protein. Studies have repeatedly found that when people eat more protein, they feel fuller and spontaneously eat fewer calories without knowing it.

People on low-carb diets often eat more total protein and fat, which helps blunt their appetite. In contrast, the people in the high-carb groups in these studies are often eating lots of refined carbs which tend to be far less filling. In fact, studies have shown that it’s actually the high protein content of the diet that helps control appetite and cause weight loss, not the avoidance of carbs.

1. When people are in a caloric deficit, they always lose weight.

2. When people are in a caloric surplus, they always gain weight.

Basically CICO is the only thing that really matters concerning actual weight-loss. Your dietary preference should be something that is both healthy and something you can adhere to.

For a good break down of how calories count I recommend reading the information contained in the link below...

http://evidencemag.com/why-calories-count/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit = weight loss.

Yup.

The only thing is that fat and protein are more filling than carbs. So typically, if you eat more fat and protein, you're less hungry, so you eat less, so it's easier to lose weight.

I could never do low carb though, for me having some complex carbs with my fat and protein makes me fuller.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    You guys are leaving out amputation for weight loss... JOKE!!!!
  • rugratct
    rugratct Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's not as easy as calories in/calories out. Please watch the movie "Fat Head" on Hulu. It's basically a follow up to Morgan Spurlock's "Supersize Me" that stresses a low carb model of eating. He eats McDonald's and other fast food for every meal for 30 days and loses weight. The science makes sense. Get rid of the inflammation caused by consuming simple and complex carbohydrates and weight loss will occur, risk of heart disease and diabetes will diminish and you actually have more energy.

Give it a chance. Go in open minded. Sugar sucks!
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    rugratct wrote: »
    It's not as easy as calories in/calories out. Please watch the movie "Fat Head" on Hulu. It's basically a follow up to Morgan Spurlock's "Supersize Me" that stresses a low carb model of eating. He eats McDonald's and other fast food for every meal for 30 days and loses weight. The science makes sense. Get rid of the inflammation caused by consuming simple and complex carbohydrates and weight loss will occur, risk of heart disease and diabetes will diminish and you actually have more energy.

LOL.

Fat Head should be renamed Hollow Head for what it does to people's education of the various topics it butchers. A good way to make knowledgeable people want to punch their monitor is have them sit through that raging piece of crap. ~Alan Aragon
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    LCHF helps a lot of people stay in a calorie deficit by keeping them satiated easier. A lot of people also lose a lot of weight quickly on LCHF but this is not true for everyone. I'm losing slowly but steadily with no counting or food tracking. Some people find this diet hard to maintain, though. I can tell you it can be a big adjustment so if you do decide to try it, give it some time and then re-evaluate how you feel.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit = weight loss.

This.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    rugratct wrote: »

Actually, it is.